Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a Guy converts his 5Dmk2 to take Leica-M lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: a Guy converts his 5Dmk2 to take Leica-M lenses Reply with quote

http://72.32.6.157/~rbensonarch/blog/?page_id=247

a pretty destructive conversion. i guess it takes drastic measures to be able to get best of both worlds Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it... and to be fair, what he is charging, for the body and the conversion isn't too bad IMO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. its alot of careful work, if I had a Leica 50mm f/1.0 lens, its a whole better solution (in durability \ performance\ productivity) then getting an M9 camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite silly, I doubt he can't find same IQ lens what is fit on 5D with an adapter, he has more money than brain Laughing if you shoot side by side with a Leica M lens + a top SLR lens there is not much difference is there any at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that silly. The camera is cheaper than M9, has better features, can use all the lenses that M9 can and then some. Not sure about IQ v M9, high ISO will be loads better on Canon, low ISO might be better on M9.

I am happy with a crop mirrorless, but if you must have a FF, this seems like the best available solution for manual glass user.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Not that silly. The camera is cheaper than M9, has better features, can use all the lenses that M9 can and then some. Not sure about IQ v M9, high ISO will be loads better on Canon, low ISO might be better on M9.

I am happy with a crop mirrorless, but if you must have a FF, this seems like the best available solution for manual glass user.

Honestly Canon 5D2 is better camera a lot than M9 in term of IQ for sure and lens is not really matter I think even with cheap Russians you can make stunning pictures. Leica M is important only if you want to be proud you can afford it. On a ruined big DSLR I don't see any proudness Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Honestly Canon 5D2 is better camera a lot than M9 in term of IQ for sure and lens is not really matter I think even with cheap Russians you can make stunning pictures. Leica M is important only if you want to be proud you can afford it. On a ruined big DSLR I don't see any proudness Laughing Laughing

Sure, I agree, one does not need Leica lenses to produce stunning pictures. I think however, when one gets heavily involved into manual lenses, photography is not the only motivation anymore. It's a bit of collecting, a bit of thirst for new toys and a bit of desire to be different. This hacked 5D2 appears as an ideal tool to support this hobby and quite cost effective too. Purely photographically, there are more cost effective solutions for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't pay $ 3000 for a butchered 5dII.
I'd rather buy one for $ 1800 and use it with c/y glass, or buy a film Leica M.
Not that I can't see the logic behind this stuff, it just seems a bit too much (both money and butchering) to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it pretty idiotic really. Plenty of other lenses you can put on a 5D2 without destroying it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious how the sensor handles WA RF lenses, if color shift and smearing is minimal, that bodes well for a future EVIL FF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit this guy is very brave and knowledgeable until he can do such modification. I have not used any rangefinder but I have always thought one of the reason using rangefinder is its relatively small size.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a 5DII long time ago, modified to Leica M. not this guy. its different look.
For most people this is silly. But I understand his feeling. there's no satisfaction in this field.
and I really appriciate his skill and courage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quite silly, I doubt he can't find same IQ lens what is fit on 5D with an adapter, he has more money than brain Laughing if you shoot side by side with a Leica M lens + a top SLR lens there is not much difference is there any at all.
+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stupid to butcher a good DSLR just to use it rarely with one lens.
I don't see anything special in the images he has posted which cannot be accomplished with lenses compatible with 5DII.

If you want to use Leica buy Leica. If you don't like it sell it - it will still hold it's value.
Why trow your money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are forgetting that leica M mount is 27.80 mm focal flange distance. Now with adapters he'll be able to use more glass than a standard 5D2...

Konica AR, Canon FL/FD, Minolta, and of course leica M and M39...

This dude has made himself a way of using most of the glass digitally on full frame that we only wish we could use.

Yes, he "butchered" it... But I'd rather see this than see lenses irreversibly modified.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is quite irrational to cut SLR like this to use lenses in price range of thousands dollars. If you have enough money for Noctilux, I think you also can buy Leica M digital body. On the other side, it has some pluses over M body. But I don´t understand so harsh comments and calling someone idiot? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, he "butchered" it... But I'd rather see this than see lenses irreversibly modified.

+1

Lenses are potentially forever. The canon will become obsolete.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

+1

+2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This modification is nothing new, sombody had done that more than 2 years ago.... have a look on this link:

http://oldlensclub.hk/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2753

Unfortunately this is in Chinese ( Hong Kong style ), but with so many pictures shown, it is quite easy to understand what was going on...In this digital age, camera would not last forever, just like the computer I am using, in few years' time, 90% of its value would be gone. I am sure the owner of this 5D2 can offord a m9, but consider the number of lenses he owns and the focusing problem on m9 ( no life view ), a modified 5D2 can be more attractive.

Today we are still talking about and discuss the use of lenses 50 or 60 years old, but what would happen to these latest digital cameras in half centry's time?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

+1

+2

+3

I think it's a good idea and some very nice work, guy probably had a lot of fun doing it.
About the destruction of the camera, 5D mark II does not have a historical value, and there are so many around. I don't get sentimental seeing one destroyed, the body is just a workhorse, lenses should be worshipped. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem for me would be the missing rangefinder, the missing viewfinder and the larger size

The M9 and her sucessors are very nice because it's smaller, more slient and more inofficious than any other digital FF camera, not only because of the great lenses in the Leica M system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bodies are expendable, lenses not: I agree on this, and I understand the spirit in which the mod was done.
On the other hand I would never pay such money for such a work.
Maybe I would do it myself, if I was able to, or I would send my used 5dII if I was sure I'm not needing any of its auto functions anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
Orio wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

+1

+2

+3

I think it's a good idea and some very nice work, guy probably had a lot of fun doing it.
About the destruction of the camera, 5D mark II does not have a historical value, and there are so many around. I don't get sentimental seeing one destroyed, the body is just a workhorse, lenses should be worshipped. Smile

+4 !

This guy is a genius!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just starkly illustrates how overpriced Leica cameras are that someone couldn't afford one and had to cut up an expensive Canon.

Leica are missing out on a market sector by not producing a sensibly priced product as well as fantasy megabucks ones.