Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your workflow.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: What's your workflow. Reply with quote

I'm currently filling up my Macbook Pro Harddrive with the Raw+JPEG out of the camera. I let LR manage the library. I also backup to an external 1TB hdd. But the MBP Hardrrive is now filling up fast. I have another 1TB HDD free but before I'm not sure whether I should move my whole library to that? Just wanted to know what solution the others are using.

1. Do you use a dedicated harddrive for the photos and backup to another one?
2. Do you store in your computer and use external for backup?
3. Any other solutions?

The downside of external solutions is that you need them handy every time you need to access a photo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot only raw, as I find no need for that extra jpg. I use two 2TB drives mirrored, and one 1TB drive that gets a secondary backup of everything new each night. I replace the 1TB drive when it gets full and replace it, tho I have yet to fill the 2TB drives, I suspect I will replace them both at the same time and just start my catalog over again. ofcourse as I am using a stationary mac pro, I have the luxury of having HD's connected at all time just laying around, which is unfortunately not as easy when using a macbook pro.

I replaced the superdrive in my macbook and replaced it with a HD cabinet. Works wonders, even tho I rarely use it for photography (Old first aluminum chassi model) but that might be a solution that could get you a step on the way. PM me if you want a link for the macbook mod, I think I paid 20-30 dollars in total and it's 15 minutes of work fiddling inside the macbook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think twice before I press the shutter.
2. I delete everything that doesn't work already on the camera.
3. I delete most of everything else on the computer before raw conversion (I shoot raw only) and keep only the... keepers.

That way I have no problems with many gigabytes of worthless pixels. Smile

Well, that's the theory anyway. In reality I'd still like to cut down the number of files I keep around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only shoot crappy pictures, I need to save what I get Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing you guys!

I use an HP desktop computer. It has a 1Tb hard-drive which is 85% empty.

I keep all my photos on two 1Tb external hard-drives, one mirrors the other. If one were to die I lose nothing. If both died at the same time I'd be up shit creek without a paddle. Sad

I only shoot RAW, I chimp a good bit while I'm out and about, deleting anything that I messed up. The LCD can lie so if in doubt, I keep it.

From what I import into Lightroom I probably end up keeping about 50%.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
I only shoot crappy pictures, I need to save what I get Smile

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for replies. I guess I need to organise myself a bit more! I unnecessarily shoot Raw+JPEG when I haven't even touched a single jpeg since last 1.5 years I think. I also need to get into habit of deleting redundant shots in camera itself. On the workflow front, I guess using a dedicated external disk that is backed up every week is the way to go for me. I've got 750gb in the MBP that is half filled now.

Nisseliten, I will look into the Mod you mention. Does that work with new models too?

Quote:
I only shoot crappy pictures, I need to save what I get

I have to agree fully on this one!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old painter I knew used to say this: "Never destroy your paintings. By looking back at them after some years you will be able to see how far you have proceeded.
Also, sometimes a painting that seems insignificant to you today, may become interesting to you in 10 years from now"

I believe that what he said also applies to photos. I only delete the technically unrecoverable photos, the duplicates (which happen when you shoot in continuous mode), and the test photos that don't serve me anymore.
I keep the rest, and for this reason I have a big archive. But I do backup on multiple DVDs the really precious shots and series. And of course I do print the best ones (which is the best archival method I know).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never destroy your paintings. By looking back at them after some years you will be able to see how far you have proceeded.

I sometimes look back and that always makes me depressed. Because I used to make better photos than I do now. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
An old painter I knew used to say this: "Never destroy your paintings. By looking back at them after some years you will be able to see how far you have proceeded.
Also, sometimes a painting that seems insignificant to you today, may become interesting to you in 10 years from now"

I believe that what he said also applies to photos. I only delete the technically unrecoverable photos, the duplicates (which happen when you shoot in continuous mode), and the test photos that don't serve me anymore.
I keep the rest, and for this reason I have a big archive. But I do backup on multiple DVDs the really precious shots and series. And of course I do print the best ones (which is the best archival method I know).

What Orio said is pretty spot on. When i started out in digital I shot alot of godawful, piss-poor images and generally removed most in camera. Something i sometimes regretted when i imported the images to the computer, but something I really regret today. These days I keep everyting on the camera, since I carry around enough SD cards to be able to, and SD cards are cheap. After I import everying to the computer I pick out the best ones and do some post, possibly delete some that are accidental with nothing discernable in the photo (those shotswhereyou forgot to change the settings and ended up shooting a 5 second exposure in daylight) the rest I leave for weeks, months, until I get some time over to go back. More than often I usually like a different shot morethan the one I had processed earlier, or I find a shot from the "scrap" pile that has feeling to it that I did not see earlier when I was busy looking for sharpness, composition and whatnot.
After that I delete the duplicates, the out of focus and the just poor shots. Tho I always have a copy of those left in archive still.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an external 1TB HDD to backup all my pics. Once a year I make a "spring-cleaning" and and my plan is to buy another external HDD every ~ 2-3 years and and store the old external HDD somewhere else (for case of fire etc.).