Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135 f 2.8 "bokeh monster " is soft?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 135 f 2.8 "bokeh monster " is soft? Reply with quote

I been shooting with the pentacon 15 bladed 135. Is it me or is it kinda soft?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open sharp enough I say rather this than soft, less sharp than Sonnar and way sharper than low quality soft lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lens has many blades, so step down a bit still not give hexagon bokeh.
If you need wide open to shoot video, that may differ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sharpness can be quite variable from copy to copy, I have a really beat up one with a chip in the rear element and it's still pretty sharp wide open but I also had a pristine one for a brief period but it wasn't as sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the similar Meyer is VG and only very slightly less sharp (stopped down) compared to some of my other lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my personal experience, I would call it quite soft, yes. But as Attila says, it's sharp enough for what people typically uses it for (portraits).
There is a lot of offerings of cheap sharp lenses of 135mm focal lenght that one can use when sharpness is needed
(Jupiter-37AM 3.5/135, CZJ 4/135 and 3.5/135 are the first that rise to mind)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Based on my personal experience, I would call it quite soft, yes. But as Attila says, it's sharp enough for what people typically uses it for (portraits).
There is a lot of offerings of cheap sharp lenses of 135mm focal lenght that one can use when sharpness is needed
(Jupiter-37AM 3.5/135, CZJ 4/135 and 3.5/135 are the first that rise to mind)

+1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had five copies, they do vary, I had one that was very sharp wide open, the others weren't as sharp until f4.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just comparing with my nikkor 24mm f 2.8 and I guess when compare to a lens that is extremely sharp you'll see it as soft. But I guess it's okay, I didn't buy it for sharpness, I bought it for it bokeh.

Last edited by Victor Nguyen on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
But I guess it's okay, I didn't buy it for sharpness, I bought it for it bokeh.

I have one zebra Orestor, its a little bit less sharp then my Pentacon auto version (a very good one),
I didn't buy it for sharpness, I bought it for bokeh and because it looks so nice and I like the preset function Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-bladed ones are best used at f4 instead of f2.8, makes quite a difference in sharpness and contrast but the bokeh doesn't change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 15-bladed ones are best used at f4 instead of f2.8, makes quite a difference in sharpness and contrast but the bokeh doesn't change.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is slightly unsharp wide open, but not 'soft', like other lenses are soft wide open. This lens, the transition from focal plane to out of focus areas is very smooth. Maybe I should say the lens is 'smooth' wide open; not harsh, not soft, but smooth.

I think it is very sharp wide open when focus is perfect. Getting perfect focus with this lens is not so easy my experience, on ff camera. I think on crop to focus would be more difficult because the viewfinder is so tiny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think one reason it's hard to focus with this lens is because the transition from in focus to out of focus is so smooth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I think it is very sharp wide open when focus is perfect. Getting perfect focus with this lens is not so easy my experience, on ff camera. I think on crop to focus would be more difficult because the viewfinder is so tiny.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
do you think one reason it's hard to focus with this lens is because the transition from in focus to out of focus is so smooth?

I think it is true!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+You don't know who had the lens before. Maybe the lens was opened by a non-professional guy for cleaning which caused slight decentering of the elements etc..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lens from still22 which I heard was a good seller.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I bought this lens from still22 which I heard was a good seller.

An expensive seller.

Try using tripod and liveview (if you have it) or focus bracketing. I've had 2 and whilst they are not really sharp wide open they are still quite good. Comparing it to a Nikkor wide angle is going to be difficult as the `Bokeh Monster' will have a much shallower DOF, so this may be why you think it's not as sharp.

Try the brick wall test and see how it performs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
+You don't know who had the lens before. Maybe the lens was opened by a non-professional guy for cleaning which caused slight decentering of the elements etc..

+1 that is possible even if good seller not test every lens by camera and not see it what you say.

perhaps lens is okay, just you do expect more publish some pictures after when you done with Martin advice.