Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

walk in the woods with crap lens or photographer or both!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: walk in the woods with crap lens or photographer or both! Reply with quote

I took these today with my canon 400d and a manual lens canon 50mm 1:18. I have remarked before how i thought this was a soft lens but these pictures puzzle me. all taken with the manual setting on the camera, aperture ring at f8 as it was not sunny, looked to be focussed properly in the viewfinder but this is how they came out. i used a sears 300mm lens in a canon a1 in the film section and had far better results. This lens is still soft on the a1 but not like these pics. Anyone got a theory on this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm you are the 2nd person to complain about Canon 50mm lenses....must be some duff Canon lenses circulating Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or duff photographers Embarassed it is far better on the film camera, at least it is in focus and the bokeh is not bizarre like on these?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Or duff photographers Embarassed it is far better on the film camera, at least it is in focus and the bokeh is not bizarre like on these?

Well I don't know much about DSLRs, but could you set the lens at known distances to eliminate focussing errors and view the results.
I have the FD 50mm f1.8, FDn 50mm f1.8 and FDn 50mm f1.4 and they are all very good at f4 to f11 (my usually shots)......dunno about WO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 400 have a diopter correction on the eyepiece? I accidentally bumped my K-7's diopter corrector once and didn't realize it for two months, the whole while furious at myself for my awful focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I like those pictures... dreamy look Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no complains here. I like the first one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give these images a canvas texture and see what they look like, there is always a way to save even out of focus or soft images.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Its true that they have that butch cassidy and the sundance kid bicycle sequence look, the 70's adverts for shampoo etc. The sort of thing i can only get in ps really but its annoying when you want to take a sharp picture. I am gonna measure the distance on some shots and look at the diopter issue as well. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Does the 400 have a diopter correction on the eyepiece? I accidentally bumped my K-7's diopter corrector once and didn't realize it for two months, the whole while furious at myself for my awful focusing.

Laughing sorry but I had to laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:

The bokeh looks almost mirror-lens like, very strange. It also looks as if you're shooting wide open. Surprised
Sorry I can't offer a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Its true that they have that butch cassidy and the sundance kid bicycle sequence look, the 70's adverts for shampoo etc. The sort of thing i can only get in ps really but its annoying when you want to take a sharp picture. I am gonna measure the distance on some shots and look at the diopter issue as well. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Just thought:- how are you using an old Canon FD lens on a Canon DSLR as they changed the mount and will only work with an adapter, the VG Canon one is rare and expensive, but if you bought a cheap adapter with glass (to get to infinity) the quality can be poor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

Just thought:- how are you using an old Canon FD lens on a Canon DSLR as they changed the mount and will only work with an adapter, the VG Canon one is rare and expensive, but if you bought a cheap adapter with glass (to get to infinity) the quality can be poor.

Well to answer the question Wink I have been using an adaptor i got as part of a package i bought . I do have a lot of trouble with infinity, but that is also the case with the m42 adaptor i have. Saying that, the m42 is very good on close stuff whereas this canon doesn't seem to be. But, have a look at the pic below, taken with same camera and adaptor but with a 300mm sears lens (you would think not as good as a canon), infinity or close to. I took distance shots with the fd 50 and they were "bloom" infested as well.

sears 300mm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then this is a perfect answer to the question "how bad these glass adapters really are?". M42->EOS adapter is glassless, it won't affect the picture quality at all. Chinese FD->EOS adapter has low quality glass, which gives you what you get. It really is a waste to use good quality FD glass with these adapters (unless you like that look of course Wink).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Well, then this is a perfect answer to the question "how bad these glass adapters really are?". M42->EOS adapter is glassless, it won't affect the picture quality at all. Chinese FD->EOS adapter has low quality glass, which gives you what you get. It really is a waste to use good quality FD glass with these adapters (unless you like that look of course Wink).
I am always amazed by how perceptive you are Fermy Smile absolutely correct in regards to the adaptors, the m42 has no glass the fd does. The only flaw i see is why is the sears picture so much clearer? they are both (the 50 and 300) canon mounts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I thought Sears was m42 mount.

Anyway, there is no reason why different lenses should show similar IQ degradation in the presence of the adapter. One possible explanation is that the phenomenon in FD picture is caused by the light bouncing between the adapter and the lens rear element. Since 50mm FD has a rear element much closer to the adapter than 300mm Sears, there would be a greater IQ loss. All wild speculation though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Lol. I thought Sears was m42 mount.

All wild speculation though.

definitely fd on the sears 300, though i have a sears 135mm on the way that may be m42, not too sure. I didn't think you were a man given to wild speculation ! Smile i may have to try to get a better adaptor.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a scientist but maybe the light from each lens is passing through the cheap adapter glass at different angles. I was going to blether on a bit more with wild speculation wrapped up in faux science but I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defence of Canon lenses...........Results using a film camera all on 2007 fuji Superia 200, supermarket dev and scan, and adjusted in PS to reduce brightness, and all lenses were shot wide open as it seems it's popular here:-

erm Missed the apple but look at the leaves FD (breechlock) 50mm f1.8 WO

FDn 50mm f1.8 WO

FDn 50mm f1.4 WO

Tak 55mm f1.8 WO for comparison

FD 50mm f1.8 WO

FDn 50mm F1.8 WO

FDn 50mm f1.4 WO

TAK 55mm f1.8 WO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I'm not a scientist but maybe the light from each lens is passing through the cheap adapter glass at different angles. I was going to blether on a bit more with wild speculation wrapped up in faux science but I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Wink

As the colonials say "Its a theory" Smile. I am gonna try out a few more lenses on it, and mess about with camera settings.

As regards excalibur, i have good results on my canon a1 with the lens, so it must be somthing to do with the digital camera or adaptor or a setting. A process of elimination i guess. Watch this space, but do other things as well Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
skida wrote:

As the colonials say "Its a theory" Smile. I am gonna try out a few more lenses on it, and mess about with camera settings.

As regards excalibur, i have good results on my canon a1 with the lens, so it must be somthing to do with the digital camera or adaptor or a setting. A process of elimination i guess. Watch this space, but do other things as well Smile

Ah! But I don't think Ian would be convinced Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the lens was reasambled incorrectly or an element is missing. I can't belive that there was such a bad lens on the market. I had ~50mm plastic singlet lenses producing better quality.
Reminds me a bit of the Helios 44 with the whole front elements missing

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Reminds me a bit of the Helios 44 with the whole front elements missing

looks remarkably similar to that picture. i would agree but as i say, it gives good results with film on canon a1 Question

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:

looks remarkably similar to that picture. i would agree but as i say, it gives good results with film on canon a1 Question

Then I guess it's the adapter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an adapter for Minolta MD to MinAF. It makes all my Rokkor lenses to softfocus version; the effect is different per lens, but for all counts that the IQ is seriously degraded. Wit a glassless adapter they are great (but only nearby and macro ofcourse.
I have seen good results from other users of an adapter with glass, so I think you need some luck in getting a good one.