Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapters with glass good or bad?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Adapters with glass good or bad? Reply with quote

I've acquired a Zenit E with Helios 44m, I've tried the lens on my Nikon DSLR by holding it in place and had really good results. I got a M42 to Nikon adapter with infinity focus lens this morning. Time to try the Helios. Going out to the wildflower corridor I went looking for something interesting. Here is a closeup of a flower with a bee on it, this is the closest my lens will go.

The second photo is a 100% crop of the same picture. I am amazed with the detail. The camera was set to ISO 200 shot at 1/1250th at f2.

This is definitely my fave lens, I'm doing some portraits soon and can't wait to give it a good working out. Also to try out the edge definition I will be doing a little architectural photography.

Anyone know the magnification factor of these glass converters?

Well I'm happy with mine I vote GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never had one, but i've heard these glass adapters handle worse with distant subject.

but with the bee shot, one cant even tell from the original lens, you have a great copy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:
i never had one, but i've heard these glass adapters handle worse with distant subject.

but with the bee shot, one cant even tell from the original lens, you have a great copy.

I heard they weren't too good but I thought for about £6 it was worth a punt and I can try all the m42 lenses I bought recently. http://forum.mflenses.com/what-are-the-biggest-bargains-you-have-found-t27202,start,975.html
yeah I'm quite happy. The architecture photos with clean straight edges will be a test.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one (MD to MinAF) and it gives me a collection of soft focus Rokkor lenses.
For some pictures that is not bad, for most its horrible.
So you need some luck to get a good copy.
I have seen surprising good results from other people.
But I have not yet dared to buy another one to try.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I have one (MD to MinAF) and it gives me a collection of soft focus Rokkor lenses.
For some pictures that is not bad, for most its horrible.
So you need some luck to get a good copy.
I have seen surprising good results from other people.
But I have not yet dared to buy another one to try.

The same here. Only barely usable from f8, and paying attention to where light comes from

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still keep a non-infinity one around too since they are cheap and in a situation where you don't need infinity it would be better to use the one without glass, no matter how good your corrected one is. On my Pentax I use both infinity and non-infinity adapters, even though the infinity ones don't require correction, sometimes the non-infinity one is more convenient.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho results using adapter with lens is just like results using teleconverter -- sharp in center, not so sharp at edges. Close up or infinity doesn't matter -- only position of subject matters -- centered subject is sharp, de-centered subject not so sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Imho results using adapter with lens is just like results using teleconverter -- sharp in center, not so sharp at edges. Close up or infinity doesn't matter -- only position of subject matters -- centered subject is sharp, de-centered subject not so sharp.

I think I would agree if my table top shots yesterday were anything to look at. I will try an architecture shot at different apertures. I have just received a non=optical adapter and will probably use it for most work except when infinity focus is necessary,