Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Oldie, Moldie, Golden Goodie - Sonnar 180
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: The Oldie, Moldie, Golden Goodie - Sonnar 180 Reply with quote

The moniker "Oldie, Moldie, Golden Goodie" referred to older classic rock songs, back in the Dark Ages when
I was a teenager. Very Happy

So anyway, thought I'd break out a few from the very classic non-MC Sonnar 180/2.8, taken a few years ago.

These were sort of 'quick shots' that are really almost just snapshots without any real planning around the
image. However, it's hard to deny the bokeh qualities of this classic piece of metal and glass.

Various Poppies
Pentax 645
Sonnar 180/2.8
Provia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice dreamy compositions! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great color & painted bokeh !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love #1 and #3 Larry
#1 especially calls for a wall!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys. Truthfully, I didn't take these with any plan in mind, just bent down with the
Sonnar wide-open and shot.

But...like poilu says, I think the bokeh is very creamy and paint-like, attesting to the wonderful
qualities of this old lens.

On another subject entirely, I've seen comparisons of the same shots from an old uncoated
Sonnar like I had, and a newer one with multi-coated lens. They were taken of the same subject
within a few minutes of each other. I tried HARD, but could not tell the difference between
coated and uncoated. Lighting, flare, color rendition, and bokeh all seemed the same. Maybe it does
matter in some circumstances, I just don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. No.1 is a beaut!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Hey thanks guys. Truthfully, I didn't take these with any plan in mind, just bent down with the
Sonnar wide-open and shot.

But...like poilu says, I think the bokeh is very creamy and paint-like, attesting to the wonderful
qualities of this old lens.

On another subject entirely, I've seen comparisons of the same shots from an old uncoated
Sonnar like I had, and a newer one with multi-coated lens. They were taken of the same subject
within a few minutes of each other. I tried HARD, but could not tell the difference between
coated and uncoated. Lighting, flare, color rendition, and bokeh all seemed the same. Maybe it does
matter in some circumstances, I just don't know.

The plan was born while looking through the viewfinder. Wink Surely the photos didn't compose themselves, shutter didn't choose when to go. Very Happy

This Sonnar bokeh is most amazing I've seen! Are there any bad sonnar lenses?

MC difference would be seen giving more (macro-) contrast and better flare resistance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW! Just exellent as yours pics always are Larry. Congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots!Smile