Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you think large aperture daylight photos are false?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Do you think large aperture daylight photos are false? Reply with quote

I mean human iris works so that it closes on bright sunshine and makes DOF naturally longer.

Using large aperture and fast shutter speed to remove background creates unnatural pictures?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we see as camera and lenses.
We can see a limited area in-focus. The brain memorizes and stitches into the bigger picture. I think single photo taken by large aperture is what our eyes can see before brain processing. Similar what we can see in bokeh - all we see by our eyes is in focus, we simple can't look at bokeh as cameras and lenses do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I mean human iris works so that it closes on bright sunshine and makes DOF naturally longer

my sunglasses are dark and my iris stay wide open Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think many use largest possible aperture in all situations without thinking about what they want to achieve in the shot. this is what 'common' photography has largely become. most of the time, imo, 1.4 is like driving a ferrari in manhattan, nice to have but makes no sense. i dont know about anyone else, but i get great bokeh at 2.8.
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, aperture values depends on distance to object and focal selected.

I like background blurr just enough to have a context in the photo, not just completely blurred. My eyes cannot see this, like which f-stop will give the -just-enough-blurr in a particular case. My selection of f-stop is based on photos taken, what I like as background.

Example,
For 85mm, f4 or f5.6 is good for most half portraits with a relative distance background. But for narrow spaces, I need f2 or f1.4 for the same half portrait. Head shots will not require f2, but f5.6 is fine.

Our eyes would be awesome for photography if we have 'an optical preview' option to check out bokeh and DOF Laughing

I tried f1.2 with ND filter in daylight. Most f1.2/1.4 lenses produce CA/PF as hell, but the glowing around highlight areas, sometimes feels as heaven.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no thing such as unnatural pictures.
Your eyes don't work the same way a sensor does and the purpose of photographing stuff is not to create natual looking pictures but to express yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what if the way 'to express yourself' is to create 'natural looking picture'? i daresay that is a goal of many photographers!
tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion a lot of what we get excited about in photography is both compensation for the 2-d flattening of our normal stereoscopic vision, and at the same time the extra-reality we can acheive via this 2-d rendering: the arrangement of elements, the DOF or lack thereof, the heightened focus/detail, and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are looking the eye focuses on what you are looking at, everything else is unsharp. As you look around the eye refocuses constantly. If you want natural, you should have everything in focus and then do a big print. As you look at each element in the picture, that element will be sharp and the rest unsharp. The area of sharpness moves around as you scan the picture, just like reality.

A photograph is a frozen moment in time and shots with a narrow DOF are, in effect, what you see for a very brief moment when concentrating on a single subject.

So,

Large DOF = constant reality
Small DOF = momentary reality

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
and what if the way 'to express yourself' is to create 'natural looking picture'? i daresay that is a goal of many photographers!
tony

It is ONE way of photographic, not the only one.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm maybe old fashioned but the subject is what counts for me.
The style, the technique, are important because they help the subject to stand out better
I can not understand nor like those photos where the style and technique are the main or only reason of the photo (rhethorical photos).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think large aperture daylight photos are false? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I mean human iris works so that it closes on bright sunshine and makes DOF naturally longer.

Using large aperture and fast shutter speed to remove background creates unnatural pictures?

In theory yes. However the human eye does not really employ its DOF, being more like a scanner than a camera - anything that is not right in the (usually rapid moving) centre of vision is a faint blur only used to detect rapidly moving obstacles. When it comes to static pictures/sceneries, the pan-and-scan part of the human vision comes into play - and there we have unlimited DOF, regardless how bright or dark it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's false, but when you consider that you're looking at a 2D image from one moment in time, photography itself is false. It's just art.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can train your brain to see the nonfocused image too.
As a first step try to focus on something. Than try to concentrate (with your brain, not the eyes) onto your peripheric vision. Don't refocus. Periferic means left and right but also up and down.
Later you can try to see the blurred background in the middle of the image too. I can do this pretty good, especially when I'm tired. It works for a few seconds, by exercise I have extended this time somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my brain doesn't work because I have no problem seeing bokeh & oof background rendering when I am looking through the viewfinder. Wink

As Eugen Mezei suggests, the eye's bokeh & oof rendering can be seen, however, that is not how any particular camera lens will render on a photo.

Look through the viewfinder!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think large aperture daylight photos are false? Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

I am very surprised at this question about "unnatural" pictures.
maybe I misunderstand, and the following doesn't fit here, but my thoughts are:

how about a bird caught in flight with a long tele lens?
a panning shot rendering sharp a fast motorcycle driving by with a blurred background, showing us all the motion at the time?
or a fast movement frozen? Usain Bolt's expression when he crosses the finishing line? or Henri Cartier-Bresson's famous photo with the man in black suspended in air, reflected in the poodle below?
what with all the talk about difference of rendering of different lenses?
B&W, IR photography, the UV photography of our Dr. Klaus?

Our eyes can't see all that, but a camera can.
Isn't a big, very big part of the art of photography the possibility and the creation of images from this world out there "other' than our eyes see?

I agree that shallow dof is overused, the lure of testing out our fantastic lenses.
Still, even if the effect of shallow dof may be "unnatural", it often is beautiful Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think 'bokeh' is one of the worst trends to hit photography and had just led to a whole rash of bad photographs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Personally, I think 'bokeh' is one of the worst trends to hit photography and had just led to a whole rash of bad photographs.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that nice example is stopped down! Wink

I think to have a nice bokeh and shallow DOF can be really nice, especially for potraits. also at daylight. But I think Ian is right, I can also see a general trend to overusing it. Not only in photography also especially for video filming. I think the main reason for that is that they wan't to seperate their photos from compact cam/camcorder pics from the mass point-an-click shooters, because they can't do it on a different way.

To post another great example of shallow DOF wide open:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauraleal/7826651090/in/faves-54671350@N02/
I'm a shallow DOF nerd
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/favorites/with/6958445154/#photo_6958445154

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone visiting this forum for the first time and browsing through the photos posted could be forgiven for thinking that all people are interested in is wide open shots. "Nice Bokeh" is definitely an over used phrase being bandied about. If we use a large aperture to emphasise the subject, the out of focus area should be considered non-important, other than to contrast with the subject. More important than bokeh is what is in the background, ie. no distracting highlights or bright colours.

If I spent ages setting up a shot, getting the light and shadows just right, selecting the right aperture to obtain the desired effect and making sure the image was precisely exposed, I would be a bit insulted if the only comment from someone related solely to the background.

Lenses have a whole range of apertures, each with certain advantages and disadvantages, and we should be using all of them for different subjects.

And speaking about corner sharpness - I don't think I have ever intentionally taken a shot placing and important element right in a corner of the frame. Good sharpness over most of the frame is desired, of course, but I think far too much emphasis is given to corners.

Rant over. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
But that nice example is stopped down! Wink

right! but the OP didn't say wide open, but "large aperture to remove background" Wink ( btw. it was taken with Pen-F f1.4/40mm )

your stunning sample linked, what a great photo and these colors (!), shows even much better that it is not only about blurred background but also blurred foreground and that both can make an image much more expressive. imo it also shows that,
skida wrote:
..If we use a large aperture to emphasise the subject, the out of focus area should be considered non-important, other than to contrast with the subject. More important than bokeh is what is in the background, ie. no distracting highlights or bright colours.
if used very well, it definitly can be much more than just a contrast to the subject.

reading the OP's statement again I realize that his question may have been "unbiased". Impulsively I'd answer yes, in the sense of being different to what the eye sees the blur is "unnatural". And that it is exactly this deviation from the "natural" which makes it such a great tool of photography that can be used very creatively and artfully.

Of course it can and will be badly used too, maybe even increasingly so. The digital age gives us the freedom to experiment and an exploding amount of images, more importantly the number of stunningly good photos is increasing too

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think photography is about creating "natural" images, whatever that is. To me it is about creating interesting images. Shallow depth of field is one great way to remove the clutter and emphasize the subject. So what if our eyes see differently? For example, in the next shot I wish I could use a wider aperture and blur various tubing even more. Unfortunately, I was already hitting the upper shutter speed limit.

As every useful technique, shallow DOF is often overused. Whether it works or not should be judged on a case-by-case basis. Certainly low light is one good reason to use a large aperture, but that's not an only reason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallow depth of field works very nicely for isolating subjects, but I wince when people start shooting landscapes at f/1.4 Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tell which aperture they are using? My favorite is seeing people shooting city landmarks at night with a flash. Always makes me chuckle.