Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 450D and a nifty 50. Mostly (C&C welcome)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Canon 450D and a nifty 50. Mostly (C&C welcome) Reply with quote

Hello,

Trying to learn and improve, here are a few photos.

Comments and such are very appreciated, as are tips!

Thanks,

Kev

(I have a few manual lenses too that I hope to be using more...)

Sigh these pictures worked when I was previewing...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 450D and a nifty 50. Mostly (C&C welcome) Reply with quote

mechakev wrote:
Hello,

Trying to learn and improve, here are a few photos.

Comments and such are very appreciated, as are tips!

Thanks,

Kev

(I have a few manual lenses too that I hope to be using more...)

Sigh these pictures worked when I was previewing...

Photos don't appear on your first post - anti spam measure.

Welcome to the forum btw! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the first two are very good, the others are also good if they are just snaps for yourself, family or friends. BTW I like the lost dog shot but shame it couldn't be sharper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile. And yes, Its all a bit of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy
for the record, the 'lost dog shot' is easily my favourite Cool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sad in that I take quite a lot of photos of my puppy lab. She's utterly amazing.
Just started using a 1980s 28mm Olympus MF lens that I got from a car boot sale, its superb! £7.50 well spent.

I quite like the soft focus of the newly named lost dog photo Smile
I'm finding photography to be very satisfying, lots to learn but I feel (and hope) that I am improving.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board kevin i am glad that you joined up after our chat at work, I do feel guilty for leading you down the slope of manual lenses, I know we discussed editing photos in Photoshop so here is an example of how the photo looks after running just a few tweaks to it
Original

Tweaked

Added Auto Adjust, tiny contrast, shadows pulled out, de-noise and sharpen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beautiful!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and thanks Ed for the Photoshop examples Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need to invest some time on post-production for contrast adjustment or some of your photos will just look washed out, it happens to any lens mounted to any camera so don't feel bad about it just correct it when you are comfortably sitting at your computer.

Also, some photos work better on the upright position instead of landscape, #4 is a good example, too much "empty space" to distract that would have been minimized if you had chosen to compose vertically instead of horizontally.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I have now realised that I am going to have to spend some time on post shooting, I shall stop being lazy! The before and after shots of the lizard pretty much prove that.

Point taken about shot 4, a portrait shot would also have eliminated the knee poking in from the side...

Funny thing is, the best shots here are the ones taken with the worst lens! (the lizard and bird were took with the kit lens).

I'm going to edit a few and post some later, possibly with some before and after shots.

Thanks,

Kev