Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've just kicked those lenses ass !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: I've just kicked those lenses ass ! Reply with quote

Yes, I did it ! Twice !

What ? Shaved the back of some lenses that are hittng the 5D mirror : Helios-44-2 and CZ Tessar 2,8/45 in C/Y mount.

Now I can use both lenses fully !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had that problem. No 5D here Crying or Very sad Lets see some results. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange, I use the Tessar 45 on the 5D no problem Question

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I don't know... it's the Cosina made one, with plastic rings. I haven't opportunity to test other copies.
I've removed only a few plastic of the Tessar, maybe 0,5 mm.

Today I've tested an SMC Takumar 50/1.4 that was hitting mirror at infinity focus, but I have another copy that has no problem.

So I guess it's all about manufacturing tolerances or batch for several plastic molds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Wish I had that problem. No 5D here Crying or Very sad Lets see some results. Wink

Fixing a broken 5D mirror is actually a 300 € job from Canon support... I have to think about it each time I'm trying a new lens Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Flor I did not intend it that way. I know you have extra work with MF lenses and the 5D. I was only saying that I wish I had one also. I look forward to your results. It seems you have acquired some interesting new lenses lately.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome Wink I know the 5D is a dream camera for many people, but I guess you will get one as soon as the mark II will be out Wink
But, hey, you can take greater picture than me with most camera you will play with, I don't deserve the 5D actually.

I've just became mad about lenses those last month, and I have to push more self control now in order to keep my bank account safe Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are safe Flor we will protect you Laughing Laughing

Your bank account....... well maybe you can sell something you don't need. Furniture is not so important Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
You are safe Flor we will protect you Laughing Laughing

Your bank account....... well maybe you can sell something you don't need. Furniture is not so important Laughing

I'll try to convince Monica to sell the piano since it's too slow and not good for ambient light.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sure that's true. Unless you have a nice piano player. Then you will have some other ambiance Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wife for trade.....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I have a wife for trade.....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

No, no, you need her. Who would do all the other work in your house during your attacks of addiction?

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Guys, you are great!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Orio wrote:

I don't know... it's the Cosina made one, with plastic rings. I haven't opportunity to test other copies.
I've removed only a few plastic of the Tessar, maybe 0,5 mm.

Today I've tested an SMC Takumar 50/1.4 that was hitting mirror at infinity focus, but I have another copy that has no problem.

So I guess it's all about manufacturing tolerances or batch for several plastic molds.

How did you know that you had to shave them and how much? By reading web pages? Did you tried them on your camera?
Confused

It would be great to have a sticky post with a list of lenses that hit the 5D mirror. It could save somebody's ass... and the 5D is my future camera (if everything goes alright Very Happy )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea: Can own of our 5D-users measure the length of the mirror and I measure the length of my EOS film cams. Perhaps you can buy one of these rather cheap cams to test the lenses...

It seems the the mirror moves in a distance of about 6,8mm of the level of the bayonet ring.

The mirror lengths are about...

Canon EOS 500: 27,8mm

Canon EF-M: 28,3mm

Canon EOS 600: 28,6mm

...which seems to correlate to the "class" of the cams. (An EOS600 was considered to be a semi-pro, whereas an EOS500 was a beginner's cam. And the EF-M needed a big mirror due to its MF only focussing.)

So if the 5D mirror is about the same length as, say, the one in the EOS600, it should be possible to test a lens at the 600 without risking the 5D mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW:

"Canon EOS 5D: Canon has changed the size of the 5D mirror, or perhaps the swing of the mirror, or both. This has resulted in some rear elements hitting the mirror, lenses that work fine via adapters with other EOS models. With the 5D exercise caution to avoid this problem. Adapted lenses which have been reported not to be 5D compatible are listed under the camera type. Some dedicated gearheads modify lenses or even camera mirrors to get that adapted lens mounted. Obviously such modifications are at your own risk, and NOT generally advised by any camera or adapter manufacturers."
(Source: http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleReos.htm)