Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Only one using Contax G?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Only one using Contax G? Reply with quote

Am I the only one using Contax G here?

-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Orio
I had a G1 green label with the planar 45 f2 and sonnar 90 2.8 . I sold the camera and lenses a few months back. It is a great system. I just did not use it much. Auto focus, auto wind/rewind and the noise that went with it I did not like. Michelle and I both would grab the CL or a Yashica before the G1. That 45 planar is truly an astounding lens however. I think the camera was just a poor fit for me. Rangefinders should be quiet. Wink

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the G2 I didn't know it was autofocus! I was not much informed and I was convinced at the time that Zeiss only made MF equipment.
However it is possible to switch to manual focus and actually the focusing wheel is a fantastic way to manual focus, because you don't have to move the hand away from the shutter. The rangefinder is coupled and very precise and in fact manual focusing the G2 is preferable in most of the photographic cases.
I agree about the sound Mad but I never thought of the G2 as the kind of camera you use in churches or theaters - a compact rangefinder such as the Canonette is much better suited for that.
I have come to conceive the G2 for what it really shines in: taking top quality photographs. Comparing the slides taken with the G2 with those taken with the 167MT and my beautiful reflex lenses is a shock. The G2 is merciless, it wins so much hands down. The quality of the lenses - particularly the Planar 45 and Biogon 28 - is nothing short of impressive. The quality and quantity of detail, and above all the clarity of image, of the rangefinder lenses, wins over all the reflex Contax lenses that I have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangefinders truly do have the edge when it comes to overall image quality. The G2 from my understanding has an updated and much improved MF system from my G1. The G1 did not focus manually very well (or auto in all but really strong light). It was much more scale focusing than true rangefinder manual focus. I always felt I was just guessing distance and hoping for the best. The CL or one of my little fixed lens rangefinders gave more control and were much quieter. Before I bought the 40D I seriously thought of putting off Digital a bit longer and building a Zeiss Ikon system. It did not make sense from a workflow standpoint and I have enough small format rangefinders to stay busy. If budget was not an issue I would have an M-8 system. Not because of the "Leica name" to the contrary, most of the lenses I desire in M mount are Zeiss. I also have one Cosina M on my CL already and find it a fantastic performer and value (voightlander noktot 40mm f1.4). Cosina/voightlander also has many serious options for M mount wide angle lenses. This is really tempting. How does a mostly amateur justify paying for an M8 ? Do you think any other manufacturers will ever offer a digital RF that can be affordable? Epson has the rds1 but $2500+ for 6mp cosina made camera is hardly affordable or good value.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Do you think any other manufacturers will ever offer a digital RF that can be affordable?

An affordable digital RF, like an 8 MPix Bessa Wink, would be a dream. But I don't think that there are good chances to have that one day...
People are too much into DSLRs.

Orio wrote:
Am I the only one using Contax G here?
-

I would love to have one, and I once shot some pics with a G1 from a friend, but they still are pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drooled over one (G2) in the local camera shop - a cased set with 28, 45 and 90 lenses, but it was beyond my means Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio and any other G fans.

The G2 has been a dream camera for me since it came out.
I would love to buy one, with the 21mm biogon especially, but I struggle to justify the purchase. However, although it is still not cheap, compared to what it cost when it first came out, it has become relatively affordable.

Would you tell a little more about what it is like to use, especially relative to your 5D (Orio)?

How do the images compare when used with top quality film to those made by the 5d?

Thanks very much,

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Hi Orio and any other G fans.
The G2 has been a dream camera for me since it came out.
I would love to buy one, with the 21mm biogon especially, but I struggle to justify the purchase. However, although it is still not cheap, compared to what it cost when it first came out, it has become relatively affordable.
Would you tell a little more about what it is like to use, especially relative to your 5D (Orio)?
How do the images compare when used with top quality film to those made by the 5d?
Thanks very much,
Simon

Scanning at the same resolution of the 5D, the digital image obviously is much cleaner, because even the best film has some grain, while the 5D at 50 or 100 ISO virtually has none.

However, at the resolution for making small prints (like 12x18 cm), there is virtually no difference.

But film, regardless of what hardcore fans of digital say, still delivers an atmosphere that digital can't. What is it, I can't explain scientifically. Yet it's there to see.
Plus of course, the quality of rangefinder lenses, especially in the wide angles, is something that reflex cameras can not just achieve.
I have already posted one image today made with G2 and Biogon 28mm, you can find the thread in the Lenses forum. I will post more G2 images today, that will show - I think - what the combination of B&W film + rangefinder lenses can achieve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture I took with the G2 and the Biogon 28mm.:

I think it illustrates well what I mean that the film can give a certain atmosphere that the digital (too clean, probably), can not.

However, as the following 100% crops will show, you still get high quality output.
The negative was scanned at half (3343 pixels larger side) of the maximum optical resolution of the scanner. So it shows half of the resolution potential of the G2.
These 100% crops have not been denoized, and have not been sharpened. I left them intact to show the potential, even when scanned with a consumer scanner like mine.
The second crop is a corner crop, and this shows the kind of corner quality you can expect from a Biogon lens.

-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick and quite misfocused snapshot that I took of Monica (Sonnar 90). This image also shows that there is some kind of "live" film quality, that shows through also sloppy images:

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio these look great.

Is the autofocus so very noisy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopsie... just bought one...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Thanks Orio these look great.

Is the autofocus so very noisy?

I'm afraid yes. But anyway, if you want to shoot in silence, the G2 is not the camera also if you use it in manual mode. The shutter is noisy also. A Canonet is better suited for shooting in silent places.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:

Congratulations, I feel less lonely now Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
film, regardless of what hardcore fans of digital say, still delivers an atmosphere that digital can't. What is it, I can't explain scientifically. Yet it's there to see.

A tangible and natural sense of 'depth'.

IMO. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:

Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the best looking/feeling camera I have seen, hope I can get something good out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
By far the best looking/feeling camera I have seen,

Yes, it's not something you can quietly take with you to the slums Wink

spkennedy3000 wrote:
hope I can get something good out of it.

I'm sure you will. It has some of the best optics available anywhere. The focusing mechanism requires to get used to it though. After every shot, it gets back to a "null" position. So you must refocus for every shot, unless you shoose the "continuous" shooting more. If you like me are used to manual focusing more than autofocusing, you may forget to refocus. This is the only drawback in an otherwise almost perfect camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would really like is for someone to invent and sell me a 22 megapixel chip that inserts into the back of it, giving me digital functionality when required. Then it would be really perfect. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requests for a digital back for the G2 have been going on for quite some time now, but apparently Zeiss isn't interested, probably because after the hyatus from Kyocera, there are still legal issues pending for the Contax name (which belong to Zeiss but was loaned to Kyocera until well within the 2010s I believe.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would be happy to wait.

In the meantime the quality is so high it will keep my happy enough.

Just have to finish this pesky video then I will go and shoot some film with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

I love this camera.

I just got some negatives back, and they are looking good.
Off to Cyprus for a week but here is the first scan - neopan 1600, a series on mannequins (I find them fascinating):

This one is with the 90mm wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive for a 1600 and wide open!