Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Build Quality of the Later Helios' 44m
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Build Quality of the Later Helios' 44m Reply with quote

While doing my research for the m42 russian lens list, a post a little while ago, I came across a stray comment that said that the build quailty of the 44m-4,5,6,7 were sub-par with more 'plasticy' parts. Knowing that kmz and valdai (only optics) turned to plastic on their camera exteriors and on the zenitar m2 (a little pancake 2/50mm standard) I wouldn't be suprised that some parts turned to plastic. Only ever owning the 44-2 and 44m I know that they are pretty bulky hunks of metal and glass.

So can anyone confirm or deny this? Are they of lesser build quality but still good? In addition, for my own personal knowledge, does anyone know about the quality of the zenitar 1.7/50mm + 1.9/50mm?

Thanks in advance
~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are part plastic, but still MUCH more solid build than, say, Nikkor AF 1.8/50 or Canon EF 1.8/50.
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no plastic on my 44M-4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Build Quality of the Later Helios' Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

So can anyone confirm or deny this? Are they of lesser build quality but still good?

Normally no lesser build quality. The resolution is a little bit better.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Japanese Helios zooms have a lot of plastic don't they?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Japaneses helios' zooms and I believe wide-angle were somewhat sub-par. I'm not sure how the name got taken up by the Japanese but they aren't of similar design.

I found this site: http://www.ciar-roisin.net/presources/Reviews/Lenses/m5820.html
There is a little blurb at the bottom that basically says they still remain predominantly metal and of fairly nice construction. To bad about the 6 iris blades...the 8 would be great...or better yet the 12 of the earliest helios!

Now the resolution figures are great and all for comparing between the different versions but what do they mean otherwise? What kind of resolution figures have come out of say...pancolar tests? I've heard that the FSU had somewhat different standards than the west so would any of the data really stack up? Obviously I know there is sooooo much more to a lens than resolution but it's just something I've always wondered.

Thanks
~Marc