Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coronet 020 Box Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Coronet 020 Box Camera Reply with quote

Medium Format on the cheap? THIS is cheap! Smile

My wife's aunt gave us an old box camera today that she bought around 1938. It's an 020 Box camera made in Birmingham (UK) by Coronet, very similar to the Kodak Brownie box camera. I couldn't find a decent pic on-line, but it's very similar to this:

It's made of cardboard covered with black "leatherette" paper, with a few metal parts inside forming the film path and rollers. It has a very simple "Coronet Mensicus" lens with no focus or aperture adjustment, and a single shutter speed. The shutter is operated by a lever that works in each direction and there's a little lift-up catch that keeps the shutter open for Bulb exposures. It even has the empty spool (made of stamped metal) and a brown canvas carrying case with webbing strap, although I don't think this is original as it has "Ensign" stamped on the clasp.

I'd like to try a film in it for curiosity and fun, but first it needs a few highly technical repairs. Some of the corners of the paper are peeling and need sticking back, and the little spring catches need bending slightly to make sure they don't work loose.

It's also missing the red lens in the film window - does anybody have any good ideas what I could use to replace it? I looked at the red plastic lens on an old bike lamp, but it's too thick and I don't think it's dark enough.

What speed of film would this camera have used originally? I have some Ilford PanF+ 50 I could use, but would this be too slow for the shutter?

Thanks for your ideas. I'll post some actual pics later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Coronet 020 Box Camera Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
What speed of film would this camera have used originally? I have some Ilford PanF+ 50 I could use, but would this be too slow for the shutter?

Most probably the normal speed at the time was 25 or even slower, 50 would have been a fast film. However, you can quite well use e.g. an ISO100 color negative film, they have got a lot of latitude.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetate from an art shop? A cut down red B&W resin Filter? I look forward to the results!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coronet 020 Box Camera Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

It's also missing the red lens in the film window - does anybody have any good ideas what I could use to replace it? I looked at the red plastic lens on an old bike lamp, but it's too thick and I don't think it's dark enough.

A red gelatin filter, should be still common in photo shops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. The local art shop didn't have anything suitable and I don't have a proper photo shop anywhere near here, I'd have to go up to London I think = not worth it

I had an idea this afternoon - I took a few shots of different shades of red "paint bucket" on my monitor screen using Kodachrome reversal film. If they come out OK I can use the film to make the red window, and use two or three layers if necessary! Smile I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The local art shop didn't have anything suitable and I don't have a proper photo shop anywhere near here, I'd have to go up to London I think = not worth it

I had an idea this afternoon - I took a few shots of different shades of red "paint bucket" on my monitor screen using Kodachrome reversal film. If they come out OK I can use the film to make the red window, and use two or three layers if necessary! Smile I'll keep you posted.

Great idea, Peter!.

Jes.