Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First attempt at digitising my transparency collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: First attempt at digitising my transparency collection Reply with quote

At a car boot sale during the summer I bought a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 complete in what appears to be unused condition for £25. Today I tried it out. This is completely new to me so I left all settings on auto and let the scanner make all the decisions. I have thousands of slides in boxes taken not only by me but by my father and grandfather which I want to scan and print a selection of the best and most interesting. This is the first one taken by me a few years ago of Fair Head from Murlough Bay on the North Antrim coast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors look good but resolution+details seems to be comparable very low. Maybe due a tack too much contrast (there's also much grain visible).
I don't know how fast your scanner is but If you have thousands of slides you should think about the modified slide projector + DSLR + decent macro lens method; much faster and higher resolution.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a bit too much contrast in my opinion
but the slide is great and it's certainly worth another try!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also a bit too much contrast in my opinion

+1
Nice image though. Colors are quite good.

Quote:
With a scanner it would take years.

I think this is an exaggeration. I have no doubt the DSLR scanning method is faster once it's set-up but it requires some initial tinkering that some may not be willing to do. I'm not familiar with the Minolta scanner but with my Epson v700 mounted slides are just about the easiest thing to handle. Can do a batch of 12 in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments. I agree, the contrast is a tad overdone. As I said before, all settings on the scanner were set to 'auto', so I'll try again for a better result.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked 25 L ?
The Minolta Elite 5400 is very well regarded .
Congratulations !You just have to learn to use it , you'll figure out . By the way you're using the Minolta soft ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked 25 L ?
The Minolta Elite 5400 is very well regarded .
Congratulations !You just have to learn to use it , you'll figure out . By the way you're using the Minolta soft ?

Agree with this!

It took me a while to get decent scans with my V700. I'd love a dedicated film scanner like the Minolta 5400. Have fun using it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got a 300 UKP value scanner ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
you got a 300 UKP value scanner ! Congrats!

When it was new on the UK market it cost 600 UKP. I think I got a good deal! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by the time you get through a few of your 1000s of slides you will have the hang of it... Laughing Wink
I look forward to seeing some more of your results posted in the future...especially your fathers...only from the point of view his would be older(?) so older "no longer there" subjects.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I think by the time you get through a few of your 1000s of slides you will have the hang of it... Laughing Wink
I look forward to seeing some more of your results posted in the future...especially your fathers...only from the point of view his would be older(?) so older "no longer there" subjects.

I'll see what I can do, Mo, but don't hold your breath, it might take a while! Now, where do I start? Confused Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning of course... Laughing once you find it! seriously good luck and don't give up...I took all my 100s of negatives to the local chemist who scanned them....a very hit and miss affair so if you can do your own..excellent.