Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AF compact with wide lens and manual film speed setting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: AF compact with wide lens and manual film speed setting Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm looking for an AF compact with a wide lens (35mm is okay but would prefer wider) and it must have the ability to set the film speed manually, not this stupid DX coding auto-only most seem to have which renders the camera useless to me as I use bulk film hand-loaded into reusable canisters.

It must have a very good lens too of course.

So what do people know of that would suit?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica T series i would look at
A T4 is a cracking camera look on flickr and see some samples

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Eddie.

Only thing that puts me off one of those is the price they fetch, but the lenses are very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and I can't remember if the T4 allows override of ASA... Basically, there are the very early AF P&S cameras such as the Ricoh FF-3 which came before DX... and once DX took off, you'd have to find one that permits the override AND has a wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nifty overview of quite a few models... doesn't easily show which ones you can set ISO manually.

The two Ricoh FF's I have on the other thread default to ISO 100 when there is no DX coding.

http://corsopolaris.net/supercameras/35mmwide/wide3.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh GR1v

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'd love a GR1, sadly they aren't cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could compromise with zone focussing I would suggest an Olympus XA2. Cheap and reputed to be brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dump the autofocus feature especially if you are going for a superwide such as 24mm of full frame film.
It's much more effective to set focus manually to hyperfocal. At 24mm nearly everything is always in focus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an XA2, good camera. I have other compacts, Konica C35 being my fave, I just want an AF one for fast shooting.

Good point Orio, do you know of any compacts with 24mm? Most AF ones seem to be 35mm with a few having 28mm.

I shot two rolls with my Hexanon 24mm today and you are right, focussing is pretty much unnecessary Smile

I do love 24mm on film, perhaps my favourite FL for use on film. 28 is good too though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim, f11, 1/125sec only. You will have to adjust your eyes and standards, the lens
is plastic. Laughing Olympus XA4 is 28mm with MFD of 1 foot, zone focus. They run about $150 on up, over here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
If you could compromise with zone focussing I would suggest an Olympus XA2. Cheap and reputed to be brilliant.

I have an XA-2 with it's nifty screw on flash on the side, and it's a great little camera , a proper point and shoot 'stealth' camera. I walked away from one, with flash, earlier this week in a charity shop for £2. They're everywhere, the camera fair was awash with them.
Apparently the earlier XA was better in that it had slightly more control, but the XA-2 is good as long as you remember to set the distance to the pictogram thingies on the camera.

I've also got a Samsung Vega 140s that's supposed to be very good - Scneider kreznach 38-140 autofocus lens and a few basic camera settings. It won 'Compact of the year' whenever it was new, but I've never tried it. I might try it if I've still got it, it might have gone in a box of stuff Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
..and I can't remember if the T4 allows override of ASA

Yashica T3 and T4 have auto DX Sad Sad

Olympus XA4 is very nice, but no AF.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canon AF35M is very cheap all plastic so you don't fear for it.
It's what I take going festivals or "dirty" parties..
Very noisy and the ISO setting not going above 1000 but great results (canon lens).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you get DX stickers for reloadable film cannisters? I'm sure I saw a sheet of them in different ASA's (sorry... ISO's) You could use any camera then

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try that UNNICA compact rangefinder thing I gave you Ian ? I didn't try it, but it didn't look a bad little thing.