Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-3S Sniper
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Tair-3S Sniper Reply with quote

Inspired by SonicScot's thread and images http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-t51270.html I went ahead and bought one. Actually I've bought two, so if the second lens (which hasn't arrived yet) is OK, I'll have for sale complete sniper outfit soon, but that's another story.

I was probably more interested in the sniper outfit than in the lens itself. For me the Sniper looked like a chance to get a handholdable 300mm, perhaps the only chance outside of mirrors. Today the beast arrived, I've tried it with my E-PL1 and now I am unashamed fan.

The images below of course have no artistic value, I only wanted to check how easy it is to focus and shoot with this setup handheld and if the lens is any good. Just went to my balcony and shot around in all directions. Focusing/handholding turned out much easier than I hoped for, I guess the Sniper was made for me. Not a fan of the clunky aperture operation, but on mirrorless it's nothing as you just shoot/focus stopped down with a bright live view and magnification. No PP except for crop and rotation and whatever lightroom does on import/export, all shots were handheld.

#1, 4, and 5 are wide open, #2 is f5.6 and #3 is f8. #5 is also 1/100@ISO3200.

The lens: contrary to some reports I do see a bit of CA, but for the lens of this FL and speed CA is really well controlled. I would like to snap some bird or cat with it to push it with more challenging subject. However, what I see so far looks really decent for me. For example, In the original file I can see spider web on bushes in #2 and read the text on the lock in #3. These things are 50-70m away from me.

Conclusion: well, it's 600mm equivalent with very decent IQ on a stabilized body that does not need a tripod and can be held @ 1/100. Besides it's way too cool. I am happy.

Now I need to figure out a way to couple the trigger to E-PL1 shutter. That has to be a mechanical solution as E-PL1 does not support remotes. Will be grateful for any ideas and pointers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several of them over the years. No longer.

I live in New York City. If I were to appear on the streets of NYC wielding a Photosniper and pointing it at various buildings, I would estimate that my remaning life span would be less than fifteen minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, yeah, luckily I live in much more relaxed place. I doubt local ducks would know the police number.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
I had several of them over the years. No longer.

I live in New York City. If I were to appear on the streets of NYC wielding a Photosniper and pointing it at various buildings, I would estimate that my remaning life span would be less than fifteen minutes.

As long as that? Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fermy, did you buy two Tairs so you could save on gym membership? Laughing

I took mine out earlier today and my arm and back are still aching. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7.5 kilo baby, after him Tair feels like a feather Laughing Now I am going around the house wielding the Tair outfit. Meanwhile my wife is searching for emergency numbers Laughing

Usual story with 2 Tairs. I was following several, won one, then punched a low-ball offer for the second one thinking that no-way it's gonna win. Of course it has won. All good though, if Tair does not sell, we can play photo-war with my kid when he grows Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Sniper for a spin today. Didn't get arrested. One old lady with a tiny point shoot got very curious. She immediately figured out that this is a manual lens and I have an Olympus camera attached to it and that this toy "macht echt Spass". It turned out that her husband is also crazy about photography.

Here's some of the loot: mostly city birds and ships. People are easy, boats are easy, sitting birds are easy, BIF are damn HARD. Between bright sunlight, sucky EPL-1 screen and my skills I had no chance. Next challenge to get one BIF in focus. Sonicscot is a magician.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tair-3S Sniper Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Inspired by SonicScot's thread and images http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-t51270.html I went ahead and bought one. Actually I've bought two,

They'll make a fantastic pair of binoculars! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Shocked