Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A wonder oldie
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: A wonder oldie Reply with quote

This camera came as part of a pack that I got with the Minox: there was an 8mm movie camera Bolex-Paillard (that I've given to my daugther, shes cleaning it and will try to find film), a Fujica STX-1 with a 1.9/50mm X-Fujinon lens, a Voigtlander Vito C, the Minox and this beauty:

Never seen such a lens before: Steinheil München Cassar S

The only problem is that the focus ring doesn't turn at all...
No way of getting any disassembly info.

But it's pretty and looks nice. I'll be observing it patiently and maybe one day I will dare trying to fix it.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty, Jes!
I love these old small cameras (I also love the big ones actually) Laughing

Yes, Cassar is one type of Steinheil lenses, I seem to remember having read it was the optical equivalent of Zeiss Tessar.

-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gorgeous cam!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jes !!!

Here is the manual: http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/regulaIIIb/regulaIIIb.html

By the way, is it a rangefinder ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, yes it is. Great then !

We expect now some pictures Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, perhaps you can take some pictures anyway, even with the focus ring stuck at present? Looks like it's about at the infinity mark?

What a BEAUTIFULLY tooled piece of metal and glass! I love the clean and classic lines of the overall camera!

I LOVE seeing people picking up these older models!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice camera! Hope you get the lens fixed. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Yes, Cassar is one type of Steinheil lenses, I seem to remember having read it was the optical equivalent of Zeiss Tessar.

-

Thanks, Orio!. It's nice to know... I've never tried a Zeiss Tessar.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Congratulations Jes !!!

Here is the manual: http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/regulaIIIb/regulaIIIb.html

By the way, is it a rangefinder ?

Thanks for the manual, Cosmin!!.
Well, it was a rangefinder in the past, now has the focus ring stuck, so it's a fixed lens Wink...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Of course, perhaps you can take some pictures anyway, even with the focus ring stuck at present? Looks like it's about at the infinity mark?

What a BEAUTIFULLY tooled piece of metal and glass! I love the clean and classic lines of the overall camera!

I LOVE seeing people picking up these older models!

Hi Laurence, thanks a lot for your clever observation... Yes, it's stuck at infinity, so it opens possibilities to use it for landscapes and so...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Really nice camera! Hope you get the lens fixed. Very Happy

At least I will try it Wink, it's just a matter of having spare time.

jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty thing. Best of luck with the repair.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Orio wrote:

Thanks, Orio!. It's nice to know... I've never tried a Zeiss Tessar.

Cassar is a triplet, three elements in three groups, much like the original Cooke Triplet and the S-K Radionars. It was very common before WWII.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

Cassar is a triplet, three elements in three groups, much like the original Cooke Triplet and the S-K Radionars. It was very common before WWII.
Veijo

Thanks for the correction. Were triplets common before WW2 at such short focal lenghts? I thought that after the invention of Tessar, most if not all standard FL lenses were done the Tessar way, until the invention of coating made it possible to make useable double-Gauss lenses.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
vilva wrote:

Veijo

Thanks for the correction. Were triplets common before WW2 at such short focal lenghts? I thought that after the invention of Tessar, most if not all standard FL lenses were done the Tessar way, until the invention of coating made it possible to make useable double-Gauss lenses.

"Everyone" had a triplet as a lower cost option, even Zeiss had the Triotars. Tessar with its 4 elements in 3 groups was the premium alternative, which was slightly better at apertures wider than f/4, perhaps. At f/5.6 it is well nigh impossible to tell a triplet and a tessar apart at any normal print size -- a decent triplet at f/5.6 has more IQ than 99.99% of people ever require or expect, even an uncoated one as we have seen, c.f. the photos I've taken with the S-K Radionars and the TTH Cooke Triplets. I have also got a 35 mm folder camera with a Friedrich Corygon Anastigmat lens, a front cell focusing triplet, which produces quite decent photos.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I know about the Triotar (and Trioplan etc), but they are all long focal lenses.
I somehow was convinced that triplets were used for teles, while tessars for standard lenses.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all triplets were long-focal lenses. My cousin has Trioplan 2.9/50. Unfortunately I cannot use it because it doesn't have the M42 screw. It has the Altix mount. I suppose that this Trioplan could be a nice lens for old-looking photos with light glow an F/2.9.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks.
I know about the Triotar (and Trioplan etc), but they are all long focal lenses.
I somehow was convinced that triplets were used for teles, while tessars for standard lenses.

They may have been used only as teles for SLR cameras but otherwise not. The FL range of Triotar before WWII was at least 15 mm - 210 mm, and later there was e.g. a 40 mm Triotar for Rollei 35. The range of Trioplans started from 10 mm for small format use, and there was a 38 mm Radionar for the Robots. There is no optical reason not to use a triplet as a "normal" or even slightly wider than "normal" lens -- at modest and slow speeds. The 2.9/50 Radionar for 35 mm use is perhaps a little bit too fast, but f/2.9 was a rather common speed for the 50 mm triplets used on 35 mm folder cameras. The 40 mm Triotar for Rollei 35 was f/3.5.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito, definately a classy looking piece of gear.

I guess it just goes to show how once the aesthetics of the design were also imortant. If indeed form follows function - then this gem should be impressive.

Once more I'm impressed by the amount of knowledge available here Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triplets are very common as normal lenses. The Zeiss Ikon Novars (used on Ikoflexes and Ikontas), Pantars (used on Contaflexes) and Nettars (used on folders), the Agfa Apotars, and the Carl Zeiss Triotars that were used on the prewar Rolleicords are all triplets, as well as lesser but common examples like the Argus Cintars used on the C3 and C4 models. The Tessar was considered something of a luxury lens before the Planars came out.