Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First attempt at baby portrait
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: First attempt at baby portrait Reply with quote

I think I got the lighting okay, I used GN 38 flash to right as key light, GN 20 one to left as fill, both with umbrella reflectors, then another GN 20 one with softbox on it as direct flash in front but slightly to right, idea was to put extra light on face, looks like it worked okay. Helios 44-2 00 serial on EOS 450D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cute little girl !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
cute little girl !

That is basically it, I mean, it is a nice family album photo, definetly above average but not outstanding as a creative photo. Even with the flash setup that harsh shadow to the right bothers me to hell I must confess.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightened version.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for being out there and shooting, but I agree with the earlier remarks. Shooting toddlers is frekkin' hard, especially if you light them, and you got the kid happy, which is the most important part. There are however a few things I would have done differently.
When you shoot children, less is more. Shooting a model or a portrait shoot lets you play with key lights, fill lights and hard lights to pull attention to what you want to focus the attention too. That's when you have someone who can turn the way you want them to turn, when you want them to turn. Toddlers are far less cooperative, and unless you know how to light instinctually and ahead of time and you know you will have a happy kid, lighting with a close umbrella and a reflector would probably give you excellent results. It's quick and dirty and babies generally have perfect skin that work great in that. It also gives you nice catchlights. The picture looks slightly underexposed and I think you set the light on your left a bit too far away, the hard light is illuminating the veins in her arm in a weird way. I would also have positioned her at the middle of one of the couch cushions for framing, but that is also not always the easiest thing to do. Just remember to keep the baby happy, move the lights closer (right outside the frame) and don't make it more complicated than it has to be. Keep em coming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice capture of the baby. I'm getting my share if baby pics because my sister has a 6 month old boy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think it is a bit dark and the light a bit harsh, I'll bear this in mind next time.

I had a play with it, I think I improved it a bit:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is a large improvement, good work!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
Last one is a large improvement, good work!

+1 this is what you need!