Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev II 1957 - First export version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Kiev II 1957 - First export version Reply with quote

Many thanks to Attila for finding this gem for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice , first export export version if perfect working order Wink look forward your shoots!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can feel the smooth Kiev-vibes being transferred over the interfibre all over to my desk Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took her out today and shot a roll, despite the light rain (we had a hour of light rain as an interlude to the torrential rain) and wow, what a camera, I am in love immediately. The rf is wonderful, far, far better than my Fed 4 or Zorki 6, even makes the Bessa and Ikonta-M I've been shooting look a bit inadequate. Everything about this camera makes the Leica copies feel cheap and a bit inadequate. The finger wheel focusing is fantastic and the focus is so much smoother and faster than with a Leica/Fed/Zorki.

How the hell did Leica succeed and Contax fall by the wayside? This is 10x the camera of a Leica of the same vintage, I doubt an M3 is as good as this... I would have to remove my glasses to use a Leica/Fed/Zorki but with the Kiev II I can leave them on and see great through the VF/RF.

Seriously, who bought a Leica when the Contax was available and sooooo much better?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commercial... like Canon vs Nikon etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Leica had the better publicity department then Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax II vs. Leica III = Contax better
so
Contax II copy vs. Leica III copy = Contax copy better
Wink

easy Razz Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Contax II vs. Leica III = Contax better
so
Contax II copy vs. Leica III copy = Contax copy better
Wink

easy Razz Laughing

That's what I thought too Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a fun camera to own. I doubt I will find one at the car boot sale on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
That looks like a fun camera to own. I doubt I will find one at the car boot sale on Sunday.

Seriously good camera, thanks for GOD people start to respect it. No more camera goes to trash.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

You might find a Kiev 4 which is the same thing really, those are quite common in the UK, if you see one, grab it if it works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some Kievs and Zorkis, body only, but if I bought one it would be another money pit. I have about 14 35mm cameras and my good lady has raised her eyebrows at me a number of times already.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A working Kiev is a thing of joy to use, if you see a cheap one, take it, there is no bigger bargain to be had imho, I am in love with mine. The Jupiter-8 lens is awesome too, I'm excited to try my J-12 2.8/35 with it soon too.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
A working Kiev is a thing of joy to use, if you see a cheap one, take it, there is no bigger bargain to be had imho, I am in love with mine. The Jupiter-8 lens is awesome too, I'm excited to try my J-12 2.8/35 with it soon too.

I second that opinion. I am using a Kiev-4M lately, pure joy Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How the hell did Leica succeed and Contax fall by the wayside?

May be an important reason was the pricetag of the Contaxes? They were far more expensive then Leicas if I know well.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How the hell did Leica succeed and Contax fall by the wayside?

May be an important reason was the pricetag of the Contaxes? They were far more expensive then Leicas if I know well.

You know well , Contax was far more advanced and made for rich people just like Leica today. We have joke here about Leica vs Contax
what happen if you sit on accidentally on a Leica II, III body it will brake (due very weak material) how about Contax ? built like tank she survive more serious abuse too. Leica and Contax ownership can be key figure too, who can sell better himself. Like Swarowsky 'crystals'
same sh* for 10x more than made in China 'jewels' I did try Contax and Leica lenses early post-war ones Leica was far behind Contax and it's Russian clones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1957 Kiev 4 , but it's not in such good condition , however , ithe shutter is sweet and quiet , so someone had it serviced at some point . The top plate of the meter has no strenthening stamped ridges unique to very early Kiev 4 .
It seems that the thin metal dinted .
The pre-1960 Kievs are of better quality than the later cameras as the push for quantity caused some problems .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KIEV quality actually pretty good hard to find broken one at least here locally we did look broken ones to make an adapter from body from 20-30 may one not works, harder to get in accurate working one, dust is enemy, many of them slow. I have same experience earlier are better. Zeiss people in captivity was better workers ... and Stalin didn't like crap work..