Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best/cheapest film body for Exakta lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: best/cheapest film body for Exakta lenses? Reply with quote

The Bug Auction Site has been kind to me, I've acquired a couple of nice Zeiss Jenna Exakta mount lenses for not much money.

Flek 25/4 - $100 including another lens
Sonnar 135/4 - $50

They're both "auto" lenses with the huge knob sticking out the side. I knew they won't mount on my Canon but couldn't resist those prices.

I'm saving up for a NEX digital body, but wouldn't it be nice to use that 25mm on full frame?

Exakta bodies seem expensive, and the curtains seem to be a problem. How much should I expect to pay for a functional Exakta body? (mechanically reliable, don't care about metering)

Adapters apparently exist for Minolta and Canon FD and Konica. Availability seems spotty and prices are high, but the bodies are dirt cheap.

Any advice?

I'm in no rush, once I decide on a plan I'm perfectly happy to bargain hunt over a period of months.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose for an Exakta RTL1000. Good metal (Praktica) shutter. Don't go for the metering prism, not working or expensive and unpleasant in use.
Exakta Varex IIb or VX1000 are fun to use if they work. But some risk of shutter problems or detoriated curtains, that is true.
I am searching a long time for a Exakta > MD adapter, scarce and expensive if they show up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult problem.
I have had several Exaktas.
The earlier ones have an all-fabric shutter that seems to last better than the later rubberized one on the VX2a's and later.
Of course any Exakta could have a rubberized shutter if they have been serviced at some point.
The other problem with old Exaktas, and this is universal, is that the bearings need to be lubricated.
My mint VXIIb has a perfect curtain but is now suffering from a delubricated "squawk"; this is a serious condition as though the shutter speeds are OK, the shutter travel is not smooth, it is uneven, leading to streaking across the frame. An interesting effect.
I need to bite the bullet and open the old lady up, much as I hate to do this to a mint camera.

My oldest 1950's VX is still OK, but needs work on the slow speed mechanism. I have another VX with the rubberixed shutter that I have attempted to fix by recoating. I don't know if that will last too long.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
You can choose for an Exakta RTL1000. Good metal (Praktica) shutter. Don't go for the metering prism, not working or expensive and unpleasant in use.
Exakta Varex IIb or VX1000 are fun to use if they work. But some risk of shutter problems or detoriated curtains, that is true.
I am searching a long time for a Exakta > MD adapter, scarce and expensive if they show up.

+1

Konica Exakta adapter rare but exists and a Konica FC-1 with Exakta lenses just stunning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Topcon cameras that use the Exakta lens mount. See list here:
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dgaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
There are Topcon cameras that use the Exakta lens mount. See list here:
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/T%C5%8Dky%C5%8D_K%C5%8Dgaku

Usually expensive at least I couldn't buy any cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Canon EOS can mount these lens with adapter and doesnt need any correction lens. Or you use Canon FD?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there isn't an adapter for Exakta on EOS.

An old FD body would be close to bottom of my list, maybe the T series are okay but the older ones are so unreliable, I have three mint AE-1s and all three, despite having been barely used are jammed solid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my AE-1 was always working fine. That being said, AE-1 comes from the era when manufacturers started to cut corners in order to lower prices so, for example, the top is painted plastic instead of metal. I wouldn't be surprised if earlier FD cameras are actually more durable and reliable. FTb seems to be made like a tank.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier ones probably are better in how they are built to last. Last AE-1 I got jammed solid three shots into the first roll. Real shame as it looks like it's never been used.

If anyone would like a mint but jammed AE-1 to repair, you can have it for the postage. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
I think Canon EOS can mount these lens with adapter and doesnt need any correction lens. Or you use Canon FD?

I've got a Hong Kong Big-IS EOS adapter that will fit lenses without the "auto knob", and it does reach infinity. I knew when I bought the adapter that it wouldn't work for the "auto knob" lenses, the Ebay description makes sure to warn you.

Here's a few samples using the adapter:

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-300-5-6-preset-t49617.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Canon EOS film bodies: digital crop bodies can mount Exakta lenses no problem: the full frame 5D* have clearance issues. I know both of these personally....not sure about the 1D series, which have slightly different mirrors than the 5D series. And I've never tried an EOS film body with Exakta lenses.

I've used FD bodies (FTb is great) for film, but the adapter is rare...don't think anyone makes it currently, so you have to find one of the original Canon ones, which usually go for US$75 or more.

Minolta and Konica would be good choices should you find the appropriate vintage adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta mount lenses don't protrude at all into an EOS body.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. On EOS some of the exakta lenses are hitting the mirror when you focus to infinity - i will check my lenses but i think the Kilfitt-Makro-Kilar E 3.5/4cm was hitting.
This is only valid for full frame and film bodies i guess - the same lenses will work on crop bodies.

I'm using an EOS film body with this adapter http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=41152
It works for most of them - auto lenses cannot mount but other are just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Exakta mount lenses don't protrude at all into an EOS body.

This issue, at least with my several adapters, on my 5D classic, is the actual bayonet mount just fouls the mirror on the left side. The only exception is a Schneider Xenar, where the mount seems a little flimsy compared to the Biotar and Primoplan, where the metal on the mount is every so slightly thicker, and thusly protrudes just enough into the mount to make the camera, and then me, unhappy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a Miranda Sensorex, first version, probably from 1967 according to the Mirandacamera page -

http://www.mirandacamera.com/_modelinfo/_sensorex/sensorex.htm

That is a very fine camera ! I was quite surprised at the build quality.
TTL metering on it works very well as far as I can see. Open aperture metering also, but only with the proper Miranda lenses.

Anyway, there is an Exakta-Miranda adapter thats apparently not that rare, and it seems that the Exakta auto lenses mount so that the shutter button works the same way as on the Exaktas, though the arm ends up on the other side of the lens, which is almost upside down. Thats not a big problem though. Another big advantage is you just have to partially press the Exakta lens shutter button to stop down momentarily to get a meter reading on the Miranda. Thats almost as good as open aperture metering.

With the Exakta adapter the Miranda seems to be an almost perfect solution, a quality "modern" SLR thats much cheaper than a Topcon body, but can mount (almost) all Exakta lenses without losing any functionality.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the suggestions was a RTL 1000, and after a bit of Evilbay work I've got my Exakta body. Hopefully I'll get a chance to run some film thru it this week.

25mm looks pretty wide on FF, I'm looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 24mm Konica on 35mm film, really quite addictive, hope you enjoy the Flek as much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with Miranda - the Exakta adapters are apparently uncommon and in demand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I missed an adapter for Minolta Sad Sad
Rare too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
One of the suggestions was a RTL 1000, and after a bit of Evilbay work I've got my Exakta body. Hopefully I'll get a chance to run some film thru it this week.

I see you have the connection for auto aperture on the left bodyrelease! how long is that? I still need to make one of a cable release, because it wasn't added to my RTL I recently acquired.

It is quite a difference when you put a wide angle on your filmcamera when you are used to a APS-C! Nice lens you have, that Flektogon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

I see you have the connection for auto aperture on the left bodyrelease! how long is that? I still need to make one of a cable release, because it wasn't added to my RTL I recently acquired.

It is quite a difference when you put a wide angle on your filmcamera when you are used to a APS-C! Nice lens you have, that Flektogon.

The auto aperture connection thingie is ~13mm long, it protrudes ~14mm in total once screwed into the body. Let me know if you want a detailed pic of the thing.

I saw the Flek in a lot with another lens and some misc. Exakta bits BuyItNow for $100 CDN, I wasted no time hitting that BIN button. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
I saw the Flek in a lot with another lens and some misc. Exakta bits BuyItNow for $100 CDN, I wasted no time hitting that BIN button.

You are right, a real bargain, even for only the Flek!

Thanks for the measuring. I don't need specific pictures as I do not intend to reconstruct the original thing, I will sort out my cable releases and see which one I can use best to butcher.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Exakta adapter for Minolta.
I don't like it much, or maybe the concept of Exakta lenses on Minolta is flawed. Or maybe its just the SRT series.

On the SRT its only good for relatively narrow-bodied lenses with no arms, as these all run into the lens release button.

Anyway, if you want it, I'd be glad to sell it (relatively) cheap.

PM me if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have an Exakta adapter for Minolta.
I don't like it much, or maybe the concept of Exakta lenses on Minolta is flawed. Or maybe its just the SRT series.

On the SRT its only good for relatively narrow-bodied lenses with no arms, as these all run into the lens release button.

Anyway, if you want it, I'd be glad to sell it (relatively) cheap.

PM me if you are interested.

I have sent you a PM but it appears not to have arrived, Question I will try once more