Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best/cheapest film body for Exakta lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envy your RTL/Flek combo. Although if I had seen this thread earlier I would have rec'd an Exa for the wide angle, since they're usually in perfect working order (metal shutter) and cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I would have rec'd an Exa for the wide angle, since they're usually in perfect working order (metal shutter) and cheap.

A disadvantage of the Exa/Exa Ia is the limited shutter (1/30 - 1/175 sec).
I never used one, I have no idea about the reliability of the shutter/mirror construction.
Exa II (1/2 - 1/250 sec) and Exa 500 (1/2 - 1/500 sec) have more extended shutters, but these are focal plain with rubberized cloth again.
For wide lenses and landscape (small aperture and longer shuttertimes) the Exa/Exa Ia might have been a good suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta SRT had an Exakta adapter - I think it was OK to infinity .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta SRT adapter is fine, except that the SRT line has a lens release button on the front that interferes with some lenses.
Most preset lenses can be mounted, but those with arms can have problems.

The adapter should work better on other Minolta bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter speeds do limit you to ASA100 for practical reasons, but otherwise the Exa is a fine camera. However it is well known that the shutter causes vignetting with lenses 135mm and longer, so it's really only suited to normal lenses and wide angle. The small mirror makes even 100mm lens leave part of the viewfinder blacked out, although this won't appear on film.

The RTL however is a much more flexible camera obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the plunge and opened my Exaktas.

So I have lubricated my VXIIb and its now running very smoothly. Its not hard to do, but boy, there are a lot of screws.
But the mechanism itself seems very simple and indestructible, as long as its clean.
I have also re-lubed a VX 500.

I also opened my two that have bad curtains, a Varex and a VXIIa. I have received new shutter material. Rick Olesons instructions for a new curtain seem simple enough.

In the end, maybe the best camera for Exakta lenses may be an Exakta.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds exciting and encouraging!
I have allways believed the comments that the Exaktas were difficult to repair and did not dare to screw one open. I do not belong to the real repair heroes Embarassed
I am very curious if your experience with the replacement of shutter cloth will be positive too. I have a fine working Varex IIb of which the shutter is collection of pinholes.