Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

(Helios 44-2 M42) Russian Text Variation?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: (Helios 44-2 M42) Russian Text Variation? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am looking into purchasing my first vintage MF lens to use on a 550D, a Helios 44-2 M42.

I am also going go purchase the Fotodiox (Type 2) lens mount adapter with dandelion AF focus confirmation chip.

For 39.99 (includes shipping), I have found a near mint Russian text "Praktika" variation. I don't mind the Russian text but I was wondering if there is a particular advantage over the non-Russian text 44-2's I have seen on eBay (I haven't seen a LOT of these).

I have enjoyed my EF 50mm 1.8 and am looking forward to trying out this lens on my camera.

On a side note, some of my photography is here for those interested: kapoyan.zenfolio.com

Thanks,

George

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/suggestions-on-which-version-of-the-helios-44-i-should-get-t51409.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but no mention of the variations with Russian writing. Is there a particular advantage to owning them?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I don't mind the Russian text

Well, since it is a Russian lens,
cyrillic letters sound like the original thing, right?

One might believe that cyrillic is meant for the
national market, while Western letters might be
aimed at an international market. Or just a marketing
ploy to increase its value. "Oh, it is the export version,
much better, much more expensive."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a significant difference between them, if there is a difference at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's quite commonly known that soviet things created for export market were generaly of better quality than for national market, and I'm not talking especialy about lenses.

But about Helios (and certainly other russian lenses), I think that quality depend not only of export/national version, but also of luck.

Also, I'm not sure that latin letter means export market, because I'm owning a 44-2 with latin letter which was bought in URSS (this person gave it to me). Question

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter what version you`ll buy with Russian lettering or not. However you should take to consideration that Helios lenses ( at least most of them ) where made in several different factory. Some of them where made in KMZ ( kosnagorsk mechanical factory ) in Russia and other Such as Ostagoz Mechanical and optical factory and Vileika where Belarus made lenses ( and cameras as well ). Now this theory is not completely true but Russian made cameras and lenses are considered to be better...I personally like KMZ made cameras and lenses more than Vileika made ones.