Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tell me robust m42 body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Tell me robust m42 body Reply with quote

Just bored with Zenits.

Something with reasonable battery supply.
Which Praktica - which one other?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spormatics, Fujicas (especially st801), mamiya sekor sx.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Practica IV B, very nicely built camera, no battery required.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most robust M42 body -

Ricoh Singlex TLS (in the US most often seen as Sears TLS)
This one -

http://westfordcomp.com/classics/searstls/index.htm
More common in chrome.

This is a very heavily built camera with a very strong and long-lasting Copal metal shutter.

If I wanted to commit homicide with a camera I would choose this one.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica Nova PL Nova1. No batteries required, just Sunny 16 calculations. Built like a brick sh*thouse.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Praktica Nova PL Nova1. No batteries required, just Sunny 16 calculations. Built like a brick sh*thouse.

+1 for the Nova, I dropped one on my toe once, I bet you could here me swearing a mile away!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the fujicas, the humble st605n is very cheap, about the same size as an om-1, and great in use: perfect meter (two cells), large viewfinder. And it uses new sr44 batteries.

Edit: I have an st801 that I plan to sell, complete with its EBC 50/1.8.

Last edited by ludoo on Fri May 18, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the battery requirement -

The Ricoh TLS uses the mercury 675, but I have used an SR44 with success. Just have to use a spacer in the battery compartment and set the ISO to 2X what you are using - if your film is 100, set the camera to 200. That works for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me robust m42 body Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Just bored with Zenits.

Something with reasonable battery supply.
Which Praktica - which one other?

Praktica MTL-5B works with LR-44 alkaline.
Praktica VLC, PLC require 4,5 Volt special battery , BUT works well with single AA 1.5V battery Wink fit into holder and works.

They are very reliable cams I bough 50+ for lens only a few 2-3 pcs wasn't work.

VLC has waist level finder and TTL metering with electric lenses.

Okay and I love best Fujica ST-801 that is a perfect M42 body to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a M42 body any more but i had several Praktica's and Pentax SLR. Four of my Prakticas had mechanical defects. IMO they are not that robust.

My Pentax SLR's worked all well. would go for a Pentax Spotmatic.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi k

just sent you PM.
tony

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the Contax SLRs that take 4 AA batteries. M42>C/Y adapters are cheap, flangeless,
and work well. Love the results with my Contax 137MA.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax SV or H3/H3V. No meter so no battery. Still readily repairable when needed for about $75 because the build is about identical to the Spotmatics.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lateral thinking:- A Canon T70 with M42 adapter takes AA batteries and going for peanuts (one body unsold for 99p) as no one wants them cos they are ugly Rolling Eyes fools! a camera is a tool and it's the end result that counts and not for posing erm well unless you want to be a poser Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why would you want an ugly plastic camera if you can have a beautiful metal one for peanuts as well?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
But why would you want an ugly plastic camera if you can have a beautiful metal one for peanuts as well?

+1 Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Pentax S1a with it's accessory lightmeter, in excellent condition with a superb Soligor 35mm lens for very little in a charity shop last week, if you split the price with the Voightlander Perkeo I bought at the same time then the Pentax was £6-50.
It's a great camera, basic, rugged, fully manual and doesn't need a battery.
The shutter is nearly as smooth as my Minolta XD7, and 100% more civilized that my Zenits and Practika's. Actually the Practika's are worse than the Zenits, the mirror slap is just dreadful. And Practika's are know to jam solid, I've got a mint MTL5 that has a jammed shutter, it's a shame because it's a good camera - on a tripod. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAF

I have one that is huge, heavy but very well made and even gives auto exposure.. Smile It came with a lens made by Tomioka as well... Smile

Doug

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:

Well if you were thinking of Nikon or Olympus SLRs they have problems with M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Olympus or Nikon? The same Canon has a ton of inexpensive bodies which look much better, even AE-1 or any earlier body. Prakticas are not expensive as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Why Olympus or Nikon? The same Canon has a ton of inexpensive bodies which look much better, even AE-1 or any earlier body. Prakticas are not expensive as well.

Well we are drifting....... a cheap Canon T70 will take M42 lenses and fairly cheap FD lenses (why be stuck with just a screw camera) and takes AA batteries, better metering over a Spotmatic, AE1 (without mirror squeak Wink ) or whatever, and just considering a camera body for an amateur as a versatile tool for taking photos, it is very good, of course a T90 is far superior to the T70 but is not cheap and might have problems with EEEE.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all the advice!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had many of the above cameras, and for 'sturdy' plus 'features' i dont think you can beat the ricoh tls. and i love that it has a spot metering option.
tony

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is a very heavily built camera with a very strong and long-lasting Copal metal shutter.

I had this Porst Reflex C-TL (Cosina Hi-Lite .. there is certainly nothing Lite there) which has the same feeling. Wife said it look like some "pig-farmer's camera".

http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/porst_slr_ctl_d.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

I had this Porst Reflex C-TL (Cosina Hi-Lite .. there is certainly nothing Lite there) which has the same feeling. Wife said it look like some "pig-farmer's camera".

http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/porst_slr_ctl_d.htm

+1 I think I have one somewhere