Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

aus Jena S 4/135 1Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: aus Jena S 4/135 1Q Reply with quote

I picked up this lens from the post-office today, and couldn't wait to see how bad it actually was. It had been advertised as having extreme cleaning marks on the front element, and a stuck aperture, but as it's the one with the leather strip on the focusing ring (and it was cheap), I bought it regardless.

As soon as I looked at the front element, I realised that the glass was merely smeared on the inside. Then I looked at the stuck aperture, and it transpired that the pin was bent, preventing it from being pushed into the body of the lens.

10 minutes later, after having dismantled the front end and cleaned the smears, and repaired the aperture pin with a gentle twist of a pliers, I took it outside...

All shots with the Canon EOS 5D @ 100ISO, cropped and resized, auto-levels in PS.

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, eh? It's really easy to service and you don't even need to know how the helicoid works.

Glad that it turned out good for you. There's no better lens than a $10 lens with a few minutes of work to get it up and running again! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it really! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is extremely sharp and 3D looking!

Conglats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sonnar 4/135 as I have recently discovered is a fantastic lens in every aspect.... a must buy for everyone!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens itself - quite a thing of beauty to my eyes...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonnar Leatherette m42 one Wink

The funny thing was I thought it was real leather but it's actually metallic Laughing

Built like a tank like my Exaxta one!!!! (the screw that holds the aperture ring is in a differrent place too)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
The funny thing was I thought it was real leather but it's actually metal Laughing

Just took another look (and feel) - not sure it's metal, quite possibly some form of Bakelite on my copy. Regardless, I love its looks Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to press it with my nails... it's hard like rock...I can't mark it.

It's a beauty for sure Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely in every way! You must have great lens karma!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic – as well as the pictures. Congratulations!

Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "leatherette" grip is bakelite and can break, so be careful.

Some versions have the bakelite molded as "diamond grip" and this variant seems to be more prone to breaking, from my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
The "leatherette" grip is bakelite and can break, so be careful.

Some versions have the bakelite molded as "diamond grip" and this variant seems to be more prone to breaking, from my experience.

Thanks for confirming that Seele - I have the Pancolar 2/50 with the diamond Bakelite focusing trim, and the Sonnar felt similar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
The lens itself - quite a thing of beauty to my eyes...

Hi,

Very nice lens and great photos!

I intend to get one of these, but i have no idea if they are the same, as the copy I am interested in has a stick-out thingy at the mount. What is this for? can you share?

Thanks in advance

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqNHJFQE+Tcoj(WrBP-Z(K2vSg~~60_3.JPG[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobds78 wrote:

Hi,

Very nice lens and great photos!

I intend to get one of these, but i have no idea if they are the same, as the copy I am interested in has a stick-out thingy at the mount. What is this for? can you share?

Thanks in advance

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqNHJFQE+Tcoj(WrBP-Z(K2vSg~~60_3.JPG[/img]

That's a variation of the Exakta mount, the sticky-out thing works the diaphragm and the shutter release.

What camera are you planning to use it on? The sticky-out thing makes it impractical to mount on anything but a mirrorless digicam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so it is allow to focusing wide open on SLR if split screen is installed essential and once it is done, you can close aperture with button under your fingers , instead of rotate aperture ring and risk focus position.