Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this haze or is it just a fantasy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Is this haze or is it just a fantasy? Reply with quote

Hello there!
recently I sold via ebay a 2,8/35 Fujinon to Hongkong. Strange thing: my very first international sale, first time paypal,
also first time unsatisfied customer: claims there is haze and "seperation of inner elements", visible under "strong light"(seems to be a
slide projector). Well I never look through my lenses into a lightsource that could damage my eyes.
Bevore i sold it I took some test-pictures with this lens, and although nothing stellar, I couldn´t see anyhing obviosly strange. Inspecting the lens in normal bright light it appeared to be completely clear. What do you think? Mistake on my side? Or some damage occured during airmail (temperature, pressure...)? Or fraud?
Picture taken by customer "paddyyw". Can´t see "seperation", "haze" could be a badly cleaned front element?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens definitely needs cleaning.

Always examine lenses for sale closely with a light source, just sunlight isn't enough, an LED torch is fine, not gonna damage your eyes.

Can't tell from that picture what is wrong, could be fungus, could be haze, could be dirty, but definitely buyer is right, lens is in bad state. In the centre are many fine lines, that is either fungus or lots of scratches. Separation is not visible from this picture but could well be there.

Far Eastern buyers have an annoying habit of expecting 40 year old items to be like new, but in this case, the buyer is right, the lens is in bad shape and you should offer him a refund if he returns it, or come to some other agreement, but definitely you sold him a bad condition lens, sorry to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Far Eastern buyers have an annoying habit of expecting 40 year old items to be like new

It's probably more correct to say that Western sellers have an annoying habit of describing 40 year old items as being in excellent condition when they aren't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Far Eastern buyers have an annoying habit of expecting 40 year old items to be like new

It's probably more correct to say that Western sellers have an annoying habit of describing 40 year old items as being in excellent condition when they aren't.

+1

Number one rule to me to light throw lens , examine with magnifier and say everything what I see. Buyer has no chance to examine it , I have to do it and inform buyer must as I can.

This lens has several issues, buyer had right. Dirt , haze visible, cleaning marks or fungus too, this is may not impact picture quality but highly impact price.

I had a few issue with buyers from 1000 sales, and I sold at least 50% to far east, they have expectation only to be fair. Certainly I met some bad buyers from far east, but 99% just nice one like from any country. In fact my biggest sale went to Thailand 3000 UKP value to a 0 feedback buyer and it was trouble free. I sold a well described rare item with lot of pictures , buyer didn't what he paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the center the fungus seem to be there. Outside the center should be grease or like it marks, perhaps bad cleaning process. Contrast lens killer?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

No, I've had the experience several times of unrealistic demands of Asian buyers despite thorough descriptions and including several high res pictures in the listing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put down as inexperience as a seller. I am sure you had no bad intention. But you may not be as fussy as others.

It is a good idea to take loads of photos and show them in the sales thread....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
I will put down as inexperience as a seller. I am sure you had no bad intention. But you may not be as fussy as others.

It is a good idea to take loads of photos and show them in the sales thread....

+10

I have fallen into the same pit myself, hence I say to always check very carefully with led torch.

Lots of pics is also essential.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example:
http://forum.mflenses.com/selling-my-canon-58mm-f1-2-flsold-t46053.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180791716077

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit over complicated Simon Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

"Excellent" I can easily understand, because many of these 40 year young beauties are, in fact, in excellent condition. However, "mint" does get on my nerves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
A bit over complicated Simon Wink

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for your comments! what made me wonder is the strange coincidence of 1st-time-paypal and first problem ever.
Until now I sold maybe 50 to 100 lenses and there never was a problem. With this lens perhaps the problem was that I left it in an unheated, at this time high humidity basement room between testing and selling, around two months. heres a picture taken with that lens, at 5,6.
Shows exactly the same resolution and contrast as my Hexanon 35:2,0. Wide open there is some normal aberration.

thanks to you I now know my customer is right anyway, from now on I´ll inspect my lenses through an enlarger!
I´m recently testing a bulk of lenses on my Nex 5n, got me all the adapters I need from big-is. Thanks for your recommendations!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, how do you clean your lenses if they are realy dirty and dusty?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
peterqd wrote:

"Excellent" I can easily understand, because many of these 40 year young beauties are, in fact, in excellent condition. However, "mint" does get on my nerves.

100% agree, really grinds my gears. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robau wrote:
by the way, how do you clean your lenses if they are realy dirty and dusty?

when the lens i buy has a dirty glass , i use cleaning solution for my contact lenses to get dirt loose and the cloth for cleaning eye-glasses to wipe it down (or rice paper for cleaning the lenses)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that condensation could be used to make that picture just to get a part refund.
Stick lens in freezer for 10 min, then take it out and breath on it ti fog it up, then take a picture.
I'm not saying that's what they did, just that it could be a possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that look thru the lens using a card the middle of the lens from the place of the light come is better process for my eyes. And see with mote details inside the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Keep in mind that condensation could be used to make that picture just to get a part refund.
Stick lens in freezer for 10 min, then take it out and breath on it ti fog it up, then take a picture.
I'm not saying that's what they did, just that it could be a possibility.

I thought so too. He wants a 40,- Euro refund, prize for the lens was 71,-. He also won a 135/3,5, which he told me was ok. Before the auction ended he asked me about shipping costs, which was 42,- Euro via DHL.
After he won the auction he asked wheter there was a cheaper option. Maybe he wants his shipping expense back.
He has 100% positive feedback with 27 quotes, as a buyer.

Do you think that kind of fog or haze, like visible in the picture, would be easily visible under normal light? Because it definitly wasn´t...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point you have no other option but to issue a refund. You yourself have no idea of the true condition of the lens. You should have examined the lens with a torch just prior to shipping. The buyer can be honest or he can be not, you will never know. However, he will win a Paypal claim with 100% certainty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if I had an idea about the true condition of the lens I wouldn´t have a chance, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but then at least you would know what is going on and you could try offering a return.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robau wrote:

Do you think that kind of fog or haze, like visible in the picture, would be easily visible under normal light? Because it definitly wasn´t...

I don't know about the haze, it can be hard to see, but the fungus or scratches in the middle would definitely be visible in normal light.

You have to give him the 40eu refund otherwise Paypal will give him it back anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
At this point you have no other option but to issue a refund. You yourself have no idea of the true condition of the lens. You should have examined the lens with a torch just prior to shipping. The buyer can be honest or he can be not, you will never know. However, he will win a Paypal claim with 100% certainty.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks...
can someone please post a picture of an "excellent condition" old lens with strong light shining through? I´m rather unsure now and still have plenty lenses left for sale. Gonna buy me a good led torch, any recommendations?