Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying out the Agfa Vista 200 - New shots added
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Trying out the Agfa Vista 200 - New shots added Reply with quote

The grain is reasonably fine and the colours definitely reminiscent of Fuji. I have discovered I had some serious issues with the Zenit TTL and half of the shots on the roll have flare caused by a sticky shutter and possibly a none light-proof back cover, so it looks like the M42 duties will be shared between my Zenit E and my Praktica PL Nova 1 from now on. All shots TTL with Tessar 2.8/50. Adjustments to light and contrast only.

A Gate near Seghill by skida, on Flickr

A piece of art depicting a gate near Seghill by skida, on Flickr

Tracks in the oats near Seghill by skida, on Flickr

Headstone, Holy Trinity, Seghill by skida, on Flickr

Holy Trinity, Seghill by skida, on Flickr

A spoonful of Linda, near Seghill by skida, on Flickr

Last edited by skida on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reporting and on my monitor some of your shots are too bright.
Well I bought two rolls yesterday for testing cameras/lenses (saves using my Superia and Reala)......someone suggested that when Fuji mass produce Superia, they do a batch quality control and when a batch doesn't come up to Superia standard, it is sold off as Fuji C200 and now Agfa.
It might have some logic for saving costs as it's done for things like computer CPUs and why have a factory churning out production lines of different colour neg film:- C200, Agfa and Superia all at 200asa....maybe someone who works at Fuji might see this post and join the forum to explain the system Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
on my monitor some of your shots are too bright.

Thanks Excalibur. It's funny, but a lot of shots on this site look dark on my monitor, yet on other sites, most look OK. All of the shots I posted have a least a little bit of flare, which doesn't help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look a little bright to me too especially 1, 3, 5, 6. When I get my negatives scanned to CD at the lab they are often to bright.

I hope you don't mind but I downloaded the original of the first image from your flickr and put it through photoshop. I just duplicated the background layer and changed the blend mode to multiply. I then changed the opacity of the multiply layer to about 75 percent. The colors look a bit over saturated but the brightness is about right (on my monitor at least).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
They look a little bright to me too especially 1, 3, 5, 6. When I get my negatives scanned to CD at the lab they are often to bright.

I hope you don't mind but I downloaded the original of the first image from your flickr and put it through photoshop. I just duplicated the background layer and changed the blend mode to multiply. I then changed the opacity of the multiply layer to about 75 percent. The colors look a bit over saturated but the brightness is about right (on my monitor at least).

Looks about right on my monitor now.......all I do in PS is just adjust the gamma in "Image" then "exposure".
And my shots are always too bright from the supermarket's CD as well, maybe it's done like that for printing????

Last edited by Excalibur on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to do that Yebisu. I see that some of the shots are a little over exposed. I don't know if it was the lab scan or my fault for trusting the TTL's metering over what "sunny 16s" was telling me. Your version, on my monitor seems to have lost a bit of the glorious sunshine feeling and I think perfection may lie halfway between that and the original.

I am looking forward to shooting the next roll in a more reliable camera, as I have a feeling this film could produce some stunning results.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

I am looking forward to shooting the next roll in a more reliable camera, as I have a feeling this film could produce some stunning results.

Well so far I've used one roll of film in testing:- Konica FS1 with Meyer 200mm and Hexanon 50mm f1.4.....then changed to Centon K100 with Pentax 24mm-35mm and 75mm-150...and now moved the film to Pentax S3 for some screw lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do that Yebisu. I see that some of the shots are a little over exposed. I don't know if it was the lab scan or my fault for trusting the TTL's metering over what "sunny 16s" was telling me. Your version, on my monitor seems to have lost a bit of the glorious sunshine feeling and I think perfection may lie halfway between that and the original.

You're welcome. It's almost certainly the lab scan's fault.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried out another roll, this time with the OM10 and Zuiko 1.8/50. A very dull day, down in a river gorge at Bedlington, Northumberland. All have had a bit of light and contrast adjustment and 2.3 and 4 have been cropped slightly to improve composition.

Rushing at Humford Stepping Stones by skida, on Flickr

Old Mill Dam by skida, on Flickr

Stepping Stones after heavy rain by skida, on Flickr

River Blyth at Humford by skida, on Flickr

I like the film for the colour and the grain seems a little finer than Fuji c200, so I am guessing it is a closer relative to Superior.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just have my Agfa shots dev (one roll) and scanned them myself and I don't know why but it was a nightmare as I used six different lenses and three different cameras Rolling Eyes ...well the least problem were the Hexanon lens shots.

The worst problem were the shots from this lens Tak 24-35mm at 24mm, anyway it's only an initial test on one roll of film:-
Tak 24-35mm @24mm

Tak 24-35mm also at 24mm

CZJ Sonnar 135mm with usual Fuji film problem with dark reds:-

and more Fuji red problems with Meyer Zebra 200mm

The Hexanon 50mm f1.4 lens is sharp

My super Tak 55mm f1.8 is not my sharpest nifty fifty but it always gives nice results:-

If I used Fuji Reala or superia with a Tak35mm f3.5 I'm sure this shot would have been a lot better anyway I used the Tak 24-35mm @35mm instead Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, 2 and 5 look great to me. The last one surprised me - did you do any sharpening? I have yet to find a film that reacts well to sharpening when there are clouds in the scene. I thought the clouds in my first batch turned out really well (apart from the exposure in 1 and 3).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
1, 2 and 5 look great to me. The last one surprised me - did you do any sharpening? I have yet to find a film that reacts well to sharpening when there are clouds in the scene. I thought the clouds in my first batch turned out really well (apart from the exposure in 1 and 3).

Thanks but just adding to your nice shots........I Always use Orio's sharpening program for Photoshop, at setting 1 or 2, but agree it's not a bad film for £1 a roll...I'll see what Asda's dev and scan results are like on the next roll, but a 36 shot roll of film is a lot to use in our summer Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This film looks decent, not as vivid in colours as Fuji but good enough.

On sharpening, the Nik Sharpener plugin for photoshop is truly wonderful, I like to use the structure control in it and the local contrast one too. After sharpening I then use the Nik Dfine noise reduction plugin as sharpening makes the grain more pronounced, Dfine is almost miraculous at removing it. PM me if you want some more info on these.

Skida, I think a nice flatbed scanner would be a wise investment for you, I found an Epson 3200 on ebay for 30ukp and while it's not the greatest scanner, it does sterling service for me and produces pretty nice 3200dpi scans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Canoscan 8800F, which does 35mm and 120 (and variants), but I am being lazy using the Lab scans as "being good enough for the internet".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I do have a Canoscan 8800F, which does 35mm and 120 (and variants), but I am being lazy using the Lab scans as "being good enough for the internet".

Some films I call "unscannable" with an Epson flatbed i.e. you can get too many problems.......this roll of Agfa confused my V750 in giving over saturated results and colour casts. I have a 2nd scanner 4180 photo and will try that (as the V750 might be having an off day).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing The Epson 4180 for £3.50 is giving better/easier results than a V750 but don't like the grain, I haven't sharpened this properly but I should get better results from a Pentax 24-35mm zoom...so either it was crappy dev or the film.

Epson 4180 scan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect Robin's people to come from that forest Laughing Nice !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

Thanks..but how a picture sometimes doesn't tell the whole story as if I had swung the camera around it would have shown a motorway which would have made Robin poop his pants Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Thanks..but how a picture sometimes doesn't tell the whole story as if I had swung the camera around it would have shown a motorway which would have made Robin poop his pants Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Like in "Just visiting"
That's why sometimes the picture shows better than reality !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I've just seen another clue about this Agfa film:- on the bottom of the plastic film container is stamped "hope"..well I have Fuji superia 200 and Reala 100 both expired at 2007 and they either have "hope" or "Hope2" on the bottom also. So if anyone has bought Fuji c200 or Fuji superia recently (i.e. fresh) it would be interesting to know what is stamped on the bottom.
erm so who would assemble cassette, film and container, erm maybe all sent to China Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the plastic containers are made by the "Hope Plastic Film Container Co." for film company clients. Wink

Any chance of seeing an unsharpened version of the wheat field shot?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Maybe the plastic containers are made by the "Hope Plastic Film Container Co." for film company clients. Wink

Any chance of seeing an unsharpened version of the wheat field shot?

Plastic containers? I've run out of Kodak film to check, and have no Ferrania film.

and....Which scanner shall I use?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer the colour rendering of the 4180.

I just found a plastic container with "Hope" on the bottom, under the recycle symbol, but I can't remember which film it contained. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I think I prefer the colour rendering of the 4180.

I just found a plastic container with "Hope" on the bottom, under the recycle symbol, but I can't remember which film it contained. Confused

Well there is always hope you'll find another one Wink

BTW went back to the same spot today with two cameras, one with Agfa and one with superia 200 and the wheat field shot should be more straw coloured i.e. it's too yellow sorta like this one taken with a taK 35mm f3.5 a few years ago
Tak 35mm f3.5

Scan from 4180 nothing ticked no PP warts and all:-