Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

40mm Summicron on Nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: 40mm Summicron on Nex Reply with quote

price was so low, i could not resist... Embarassed

it´s a pity i cannot upload all these fine details you see on the screen...the bird beside the church tower: you can read its nameplate in the original file Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
That is one of the lenses I would break my "non-purchasing" vow for. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great quality. Congrats.

The bird is a messenger pigeon. At the left leg is a metal capsule with a message. I can cleary read "Will attack next morning very early. Napoleon"

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your new gem!
I like first one best from series.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! This is my very favorite lens past and present, and you can see why in your splendid results!
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shots are nice, but honestly, if the OP hadn't said what the lens was, would people praise it so highly? I mean, it looks good but I don't see anything above what most good 50mm lenses produce.

Maybe it due to viewing web size or my eyes are going. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The shots are nice, but honestly, if the OP hadn't said what the lens was, would people praise it so highly? I mean, it looks good but I don't see anything above what most good 50mm lenses produce.

It probably has resolvance superior to most lenses of it's kind, but you would start to notice at full size, not at 1024 pixels size.
At this size, you can only evaluate things like colours, contrast, flare resistance, aberrations - and some of these things do not depend entirely on the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, that makes sense. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to all for your comments - it is fun to use

@ Rolf: i asked the bird, he´s quite disapointed that you revealed his secret Very Happy

@ Ian: you´re right - and as Orio wrote with 1000pix you do not see much difference - for this use my Hexanon 40mm is as apropriate as the 40mm Summi. Making no extensive pp, i like very much the colours coming from this lens. It is a different drawing than my 35mm and 45mm Zeiss. My unsophisticated personal lens test is after downloading the first pics to my PC: pushing sharpness, contrast and saturation to limits. The farer i can moove it without losing borders or texture of the subjects, the better the lens. Means you have more reserve in your picture. Do i need it ? no. Do i like it? very much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colours and pop!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
thanks to all for your comments - it is fun to use

@ Rolf: i asked the bird, he´s quite disapointed that you revealed his secret Very Happy

@ Ian: you´re right - and as Orio wrote with 1000pix you do not see much difference - for this use my Hexanon 40mm is as apropriate as the 40mm Summi. Making no extensive pp, i like very much the colours coming from this lens. It is a different drawing than my 35mm and 45mm Zeiss. My unsophisticated personal lens test is after downloading the first pics to my PC: pushing sharpness, contrast and saturation to limits. The farer i can moove it without losing borders or texture of the subjects, the better the lens. Means you have more reserve in your picture. Do i need it ? no. Do i like it? very much.

That makes perfect sense Thomas. I have learnt that the best lenses are those that require the least PP, and as you say, hold up best when PP is applied. I also tend to think the way to chose one's lenses is by which touch your heart. I have the Hexanon 1.8/40 and like it but never use it, other lenses around that length grabbed my heart so they get used. I also have the Minolta MD 2/45 pancake and I prefer that to the Hexanon 1.8/40, maybe not as sharp but there is something about the smoothness of the transition from in focus to out of focus, bokeh and colours that I just really like with the Minolta.

If you love the Summi then it is worth what you paid, that is the bottom line. Smile