Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please, help me in identifying this... Tessar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Please, help me in identifying this... Tessar? Reply with quote

To me looks like a Tessar: It's marked "Jena", it's a 50mm 2.8 and the serial number marks it as if it was manufactured after 1961.
It has a M42 mount, and the lever matches in place the ones of similar Tessars.

However, I've never seen one like this one before:

The lens seems to be okay but for the silver aperture ring that doesn't move the diaphragm...
The next question is : How to disassemble it?.

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a genuine Tessar, it belongs to the period when, due to the legal dispute with western Zeiss, Jena Zeiss did produce
lenses for western market avoiding to use trademark names such as "Tessar" and "Carl Zeiss".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It is indeed a genuine Tessar, it belongs to the period when, due to the legal dispute with western Zeiss, Jena Zeiss did produce
lenses for western market avoiding to use trademark names such as "Tessar" and "Carl Zeiss".

Thanks, Orio!.

Then I'll try to follow one of the existing disassembly guides, even if this one doesn't have any screw in the mount side.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe removing the leatherette?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Maybe removing the leatherette?

Yes, I'll try to. Also start unscrewing the front plate...
I'll post pictures.
Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Jes:

Unscrew the rear trim ring - the one around the mount and you should see screws underneath. Undo these screws to remove the lens mount and take it from there. This rear ring might be very tight so use some rubber gloves or something to help grip it. Don't try and remove the leatherette as it's actually textured vulcanite...

I've got a zebra Flek 25 that dismantles this way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Jes:

Unscrew the rear trim ring - the one around the mount and you should see screws underneath. Undo these screws to remove the lens mount and take it from there. This rear ring might be very tight so use some rubber gloves or something to help grip it. Don't try and remove the leatherette as it's actually textured vulcanite...

I've got a zebra Flek 25 that dismantles this way.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for pointing this out!. I didn't notice the fine line at the top of the mount, next to the lever, so it should be possible to remove it in the way you indicate.

However, I've tried with a rubber wrench and it's stuck as if it was soldered... Sad

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring on my Flek was super-tight as well Jes - I dripped IPA into the space you've arrowed and kept at it until it eventually unscrewed. I didn't see any threadlock compound though when I got it off. You could also try pushing down on the ring around the mount circumference while attempting to unscrew it - like removing a stuck filter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob.
BTW, what's IPA you mention?. Some kind of screw unlocker?.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Thanks, Bob.

Regards.
Jes.

Iso Propyl Alcohol, Jes - any chemist should still have it. It was formerly used for cleaning PCBs, tape machine heads etc. If there's any threadlock or stickiness in there, the IPA will help to soften and loosen it without getting everywhere as it's a mild solvent that evaporates fairly quickly. It won't harm the paint by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Export version of Tessar on western market eastern factory couldn't use Carl Zeiss name and their lens name like Tessar. Usually these lenses has better quality control than others.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Thanks, Bob.

Regards.
Jes.

Iso Propyl Alcohol, Jes - any chemist should still have it. It was formerly used for cleaning PCBs, tape machine heads etc. If there's any threadlock or stickiness in there, the IPA will help to soften and loosen it without getting everywhere as it's a mild solvent that evaporates fairly quickly. It won't harm the paint by the way.

Thanks! I see. And yes, I got a big bottle of it Wink . Just I didn't know the achronym. It's the cleaner I use for the degraded seals...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me very much of my Starwars Pancolar 2/50..Yours even has the little switch at the side which you push to close the aperture.I think you have a very nice lens!! Cool

See how similar in body shape it is to my Pancolar
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-pancolar-2-50-can-it-be-restored-t20607,highlight,%2Bczj+%2Bpancolar+%2B2+%2B50.html