Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Storm in Bologna - Fomapan 200 Zeiss Ikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Storm in Bologna - Fomapan 200 Zeiss Ikon Reply with quote

Some "bad light" Wink photos of a storm in Bologna
Taken with Zeiss Ikon camera + Voigtlaender Snapshot-Skopar 4/25
Fomapan 200 film developed in T-Max developer - scanned with Reflecta ProScan 7200

#1 Cathedral of San Francesco, under the storm

#2 Cathedral of San Francesco, under the storm

#3 Total shower!

#4 Waiting for the rain to decrease...

#5 Still waiting...

#6 Brave hearts try anyway

#7 Uncommon photographers (inspired by my snapshots, probably)

#8 Maybe time for new shoes...

Thanks for viewing Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, perfect lens/film combination for these scenes. i love street photos in the rain, though its not easy taking them!
tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
nice series, perfect lens/film combination for these scenes. i love street photos in the rain, though its not easy taking them!
tony

Thanks Tony, I love rain in street photos too, because it allows me to play with shadows and light like no other weather situation.
Constructing a scene with shadows and lights is what I love the most. In this case, the rain was falling so hard that it created a white aura
all around the objects that it hit. It was a fantastic light situation, everything was shining in white! And I was standing under the arcades with other people,
so had plenty of shadows too, and I took advantage of that contrast.
Same concept for the cathedral photos, only there the whites were in the clouds, and the shadows under the arcades too.
The contrast of these two elements created, in my opinion, a great energetic context for the middle gray tones of the bricks.
It was the first time that I used this Fomapan film and I really prayed that it could handle this quite extreme dynamic range without imposing too much contrast.
I think it did quite well, and probably developing with T-Max Dev at 20° (as suggested by Foma) instead of the usual 24 ° helped a lot in controlling the contrast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did well (from #3 onward) with the Fomapan 200, a favorite film. The Reflecta is doing
a marvelous job, too! Correction, I like #1, too, #2 is a little dark on monitor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Minolfan and Bill!
Bill I know what you mean with #2, it's one of those cases, where you work really at the extremes, when I really wish I could buy a pro monitor. Rolling Eyes
My Philips consumer monitor is probably not very accurate at both ends (brights and darks).
Basically I didn't give a quid Laughing about showing what's under the arcades (there was a charity flea market), I was only interested in the overall dramatic effect, I wanted something in between The Name of the Rose' convent and Macbeth's castle Laughing Mostly I wanted to transmit the feeling of majesty of the structure which is really huge for a church! But of course, I didn't, and don't, want a total black in the arcades! Something must glimpse through to provide realism. On my monitor it does, but it's really borderline, like zone 0,5 Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the atmosphere/feeling in 3,4,5,6, and 7. I'd be VERY pleased with these scans!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two are scary/ominous. Remainder are reminders to carry the umbrella! Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!
I am very happy with this small series. I got the church exactly as I wanted it to appear, and I consider also the shower photos a great success, because the impression of blinding white that I got from the reality, is also transfered on film, and it was not easy to happen. Now the real fun will arrive when printing these! That'll be even harder I think - I am prepared to spend nights on them, but surely I want them to look right in the end!
I hope that I can show some good prints in this thread in the next days/weeks. Almost all of these that I showed here are going to get printed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and another interesting story from you Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 is my favorite.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting replies, I like #1 and #2, especially #1.... I have to be a freak Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Orio.
#3 and #5, #6 and #8 are my favs.
Rain is scarce here, and when it rains we use to not to go out.
After your samples, I look forward for the next rainy day Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive capture of that extreme weather and contrast range! Thmks for telling us your story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great atmospheric photos...I love the rain photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I like weather like that!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Excalibur, Riku, NikonD, Jes, StingOM, Moira and Shauttra for your viewing and comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I like No. 2 the best; it reminds me somewhat of Michael Kenna's urban work, which is no bad thing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomstitcher wrote:
Nice shots. I like No. 2 the best; it reminds me somewhat of Michael Kenna's urban work, which is no bad thing!

Thanks much, I did not know of Michael Kenna, I will check about him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series Orio!
#6 for me please.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice BW!
Well, I would say #3 is my favorite. I hope you also had some shelter during the shooting Orio?! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Nice BW!
Well, I would say #3 is my favorite. I hope you also had some shelter during the shooting Orio?! Very Happy

I stayed all the time near to photographer of #7 Wink Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Nice BW!

I stayed all the time near to photographer of #7 Wink Razz

Ha ha, looks like the best spot indeed Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 !!
Looks a bit like the shot of James Dean in NY. Can you crop out the lady on the left a bit more? And lose the column on the right......
May I show you an example of why I mean?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
#3 !!
Looks a bit like the shot of James Dean in NY. Can you crop out the lady on the left a bit more? And lose the column on the right......
May I show you an example of why I mean?

Thanks! I know that photo well. I love it!
I understand what you mean. Yes, it's a possibility.