Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bessa ii Heliar / Tmax400@100 / Rodinal 1:100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Bessa ii Heliar / Tmax400@100 / Rodinal 1:100 Reply with quote

I've posted this elsewhere online. Love the results from this combo and wanted to share them here. The sun was a bit bright so I used stand and reduced exposure to try hold things down a bit.
Opinons are welcome.

f8 1/500 sec . 1:100 for 60m @ 20c, Zero Agitation after 10 sec to development.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, everything about it, one of the very best 6x9s I've seen here.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trully excellent! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the Rodinal/TMax film combination (in fact I really dislike it), but here you did very good to my eye.
Highlights, shadows are both there, skin tone is perfect in zone 6. I would say excellent result.
Hugo looks proud too Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments Guys Smile

Hugo always seems quite pleased when he finds a lady to fall in love with him and they all do Laughing

I think Rodinal can sometimes sort of ruin the smooth tight grain of Tmax in 135mm. For 120 and 4x5 it has much less of this effect and usually I like the results.
In full sunlight, the combo of Tmax400 shot at 100 or even at 50 and developed in a 1:100 stand seems to work very well for me in 120.
The long time gives both highlights and shadows time to come up yet the developer is exhausted before the highlights can blow out.
Here it was a close call on her arm but stayed with some detail and varied tones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only points that appear overblown on my monitor are a few points of Hugo's fur.
However I would not take any conclusion since you obviously had to scan the negative and this makes of it something different than the negative itself, just like a traditional print is different from the negative.
If there is even a little detail on Hugo's fur highlights on the neg (and based on educated guess I'd say there should be), then recovering those when printing it's a child's play.

The main reason I don't like Rodinal with TMax film (I am speaking of normal Rodinal processing, not stand development) is the middle tones.
I have however to say that I only used that combo with 35mm film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this negative will be very easy to print. Setting up my enlarger while living out of my car this summer will be less easy Laughing
In September I will be back in Seattle for a few months with space to set up a darkroom. It's been over a year since I had a chance to print. Many images to do!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks really great, i would like to si this phtoo in real on paper.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob
I appreciate your comment Smile