Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fomapan 200 / HC110 / XE-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Fomapan 200 / HC110 / XE-5 Reply with quote

Expired Foma 200 in HC110 - I used dilution H for 8 min at the standard temp - I don't know if it is the slight expiration, or simply the combination of film and developer, but it looks to me that I ought to have used a much slower EI on the XE-5. I don't think I have any more Foma 200 however, so I won't be repeating the experiment! In general the Foma lies very flat on the scanner - but caused a different issue when getting it on the plastic reel, as the film end held a bit of reverse curl from being rolled in reverse onto the XE-5's take up spool. This caused friction especially when the spiral got tighter. Rokkor 45/2.

Jersey City Riviera by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that a lot. Nice crisp lines, exposure giving a realistic impression of a wet day and the lying water reflecting on the boards in the foreground just give an extra something. Marvellous!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this result totally beautiful. A bit high on the contrast, but maybe controllable with less agitation.
THe scene itself seems very contrasted, so I doubt that a really different result could be obtained.
In any case, there is a lot of detail and interest going on with the tables, trees and floor, so it's no
great loss if the sky is flat. Actually, it could even make the picture cleaner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I added contrast in pp, as developed/scanned (or exposed!) the deck chairs were very dark and low contrast. I wanted to brighten and heighten the metal bits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this image very much although personally I'd be tempted to trim off the sky, perhaps going for a square crop.

K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris, I'm tending to agree, I'm eyeing a 6x7 sort of crop... the purist in me had the upper hand and I had to do the whole frame Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of professional results from the members who develop their own black and white film. This one
is no exception. Gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Kris, I'm tending to agree, I'm eyeing a 6x7 sort of crop... the purist in me had the upper hand and I had to do the whole frame Laughing

I'm not sure about crop, you win some but you also lose some, to have the whole sky gives a lot of luminosity to the photograph which contrasts nicely with the bottom half darker elements.
Cutting off some of the sky gives the impression of a darker image and I'm not sure this works in favour.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture Jussi! If you like Foma and willing to use it more I happily buy and send Foma made developers.