Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Colostar U 4.5/100mm in the grass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Agfa Colostar U 4.5/100mm in the grass Reply with quote

I have a couple of Agfa lenses that were used in photoprinters some decades ago. They have names like Colorstar or Colostar and different focal lengths and formula's. De aperture ring doesn't have any values on it so it's estimating what value you are using.
The Agfa's do not have any standard mount. To use them, i tried to glue them to M42-extension rings. This succeeded only in one case so far, i guess i have to look for better glue to bond metal to metal Smile

1 The Colostar U 4.5/100mm on my Oly E330

2 Look how many blades Cool

With the Oly i did some shots of the grass and what's between the grass. The stack of extension rings delivered a field of about 5 x 7"

Would it work on a NEX ?

Offcourse it works on a NEX

To put the rest of the Agfa's to use i need to find a kind of glue to fix them to extension rings. It may not be the sharpest lenses but they are certainly fun to play around with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful images, I was drooling over the lovely bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was worth to try looks very good as expect from Agfa and this technology.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent results. no.2 and 3 of the grass shots are my favs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice! For a quick fix - if the mount fits inside a tube, is to use some foam or plastic insulating tape and do a friction fit. Quick to do, quick to undo.

Laughing Colostar could have been the name for a colonoscopy lens Twisted Evil Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not that impressed with the results to be honest, it lacks brilliance and contrast,
at least it seems to be sharp. It looks like it would need a sunshade, but also that one
cannot be mounted as it seems not to have a front filter thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, I'm not that impressed with the results to be honest, it lacks brilliance and contrast,
at least it seems to be sharp. It looks like it would need a sunshade, but also that one
cannot be mounted as it seems not to have a front filter thread.

First thing i noticed about this lens was the lack of brilliance and contrast and the need of a good sunshade. Maybe i can make something sunshade-like to fit to these kind of no-filtermount-lenses . My experience with enlarger- and printerlenses so far is that they have a high flare-risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a contrast boost in PP and perhaps warming the WB a little.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work!

Keep at your experimentation, just because some lenses cost more than a good used car - it doesn't make them better. Have fun being yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good to me.
Differently from other users, Toeteraar did not sharpen his pictures to death. You can say by looking at the curves and high contrast points.
There is nearly no artifacts of sharpening.
Yet, the pictures seem to feature a good fine detail, as it's possible to guess in the dandelion picture.
So overall I would say that the performance is good.
Of course, that is not a lens for outdoors use, the coating is obviously showing that and the contrast is weaker than in an outdoor lens.
But not worse than many pre-war lenses that many users here love and use.