Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some shots from this week
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Some shots from this week Reply with quote

Grouped by camera:

Minolta SRT 102, Tamron Adaptall-2 28-70 1:3.5-4.5, Foma 400, orange filter

Pentax SP1000, Takumar 55mm 1:1.8, Adox CHS ART 100 ISO (rebranded Efke), yellow filter

Pentax K1000, Tokina 28mm, Foma 400, red filter

"I'm coming for you!"

Check out the detail on the front glove's cracked vinyl. F5.6

Nikon N70, 24-120 zoom, Ilford PANF 50, 'tobacco' filter
I used the tobacco filter because it's like putting on a red and green filter. It quite effectively kills a film's contrast. And it does do a lot to mute PANF. It also kills the light hitting the film. I had one shot without the filter at f8, 1/200th that was 1/80th with the filter. TO put it another way, the first Willie Mays statue photo was 1/60th at f3.5 The second was 1/60th, also, but at f8.

With the tobacco filter

Without the tobacco filter

Canon RT, EF 28-80, Foma 100, UV filter

Edited to correct the Adox film name from SHM to CHS

Last edited by David on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot the Fomapan 400 results
I heard bad things about this film, one more reason to doubt the Internet rumours and always try for yourself.
About the gloves picture detail that you suggest to check out, I am not able to do it from a 323x512 pixels image.

Also very good the results from the Adox film. I am curious about what film it is. There is no SHM ART film listed in the Adox catalog:
http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Films/Fims.html
Maybe it's a discontinued film?
It however looks indeed like the Efke KB (which in Adox should be called CHS), same tonal characteristics.

Ilford PANF 50 is another film that I like (well, I like all low ISO film)
your tobacco filter is indeed very effective in lowering contrast. It can be a good trick to have up the sleeve.
For the type of photo here, however (the statue), I prefer the more contrasted result.

What developer(s) did you use?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Orio,

I agree completely with the statue and tobacco filter analysis. Everything with the brown-colored filter looked VERY flat, unless there was brown in the background. For instance, in the photo of the girl, the door she was standing in front of is about the color of coffee with a splash of half-and-half.

For developer, D-76 for all of them. For the 400, 8 minutes. 6.5 minutes for the 100, and about 5:45 for the 50. Typically, I've been putting the 50 ISO in with the 100 ISO and developing for 6 minutes and that seems to deliver good results for both. The PANF has slightly lower contrast than other times I've used it and the 100 comes out the same. Temperature is ambient, typically about 69 Fahrenheit, maybe a bit cooler since I store my chemicals in the pantry. NOT the food pantry.

I think that people dislike Foma because 1- it's about the cheapest film that can be bought and 2- it's a bit flat when not used and handled properly. I've found that with various colored filters, typically yellow, orange, and red, it responds nicely. It's just a film that benefits from contrast correction or enhancement. It's very low-grain for a 400 ISO film and, unlike a certain popular 400 ISO film, lies flatter than a Kansas pancake when rinsed properly. People on the Internet sometimes just like to hate things. There's this idea that being negative makes someone sound more intelligent. I don't subscribe to that, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Adox results excellent! I love Foma my basic film , cheapest and one of the best what I did try.