Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Charity sale in Bologna - Fomapan 200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Charity sale in Bologna - Fomapan 200 Reply with quote

A charity flea market under the arcades of the San Francesco cloister in Bologna
ZI camera, Fomapan 200 film in T-Max developer
these come from the same roll as these other ones

My impressions on the Fomapan 200 film:
one roll is too little to make any final judgement, however I have noticed a few things:

- if treated properly with temperatures and wetting agent, this film dries very straight without curls, and is very easy to scan

- there are some scratches on the negative, that I am 100% positive are not caused by me: so either it was dirty felts in the film can (which I opened new just before use), or, the scratches were factory made before the film was sealed. Whatever the origin, they are really annoying.

- underexposure is killer on most B&W film, but on this one especially, it is super killer: details are lost and grain blooms.

- but if you expose properly (even a bit over) and the film has no factory scratches, the results are very pleasing.

Overall I would say that it's a difficult film to handle. More probably a native 125 ISO or something like that, than a real 200. But when used properly the results are really pleasing.
The photos (camera used is Zeiss Ikon, lens Snapshot-Skopar 4/25):

#1 Bologna, via Sant'Isaia
This is the same scene as portrayed in 6x9 with the Ferrania Falco II in that thread. Photography newbies please take note: the aperture in both photos is about the same (around f/8 ),
but the Falco II image has a much narrower depth of field. Of course the difference is all due to the focal lenght! The Falco II has a 105mm lens, whereas the ZI camera here used a 35mm lens.

#2 The Charity Flea Market in San Francesco (Bologna)
I deliberately underexposed this photo, in order to be able to take it without handshake motion.
The result is quite depressing, all detail was gone in the shadows and boosting exposure in scanning did not really recover it:

When exposed correctly, the film changes character completely, it even seems a different film:

I think this one was funny, used jackets exposed for sale in front of a remaining fragment of a mediaeval tombal stone.
Not something likely to be seen every day, certainly not the future that the sculptor of the gravestone might have envisioned for his work. wink:
This made me reflect about how out of control are out little artworks after we leave this world and they are left to the good will (or lack thereof) of those who will happen to handle them...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! I love this kind of shots!
My favs are 3 and 4.