Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer 200mm stuck blades fixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked up a Meyer Zebra 200mm f4 Orestegor for £2 with a blade out (all the rest work properly). Does anyone know which end is nearest to the blades (for dismantling) to try and fix it...any thoughts? anyone fixed this lens with the same problem?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens, too heavy for me though.

This is a very easy lens to disassemble, very easy to get to the blades on either side. You can either unscrew the rear elements - that gives you direct access, or make your way through the front elements. Either way you'll get there as long as the lenses retaining rings are not too locked up, if they are just use WD40 or equivalent product in small amounts, with patience they will release and become butter smooth to unscrew. I know it is probably not the best idea since there is always the risk of the liquid somehow getting to the blade mechanism but it is better than risking scratches on paint or lenses when forcing the rings to unscrew.

This may help you out:

Pentacon 200mm f/4 cleaning

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 cleaning

(the latter is the better tutorial and I bet you can take those steps for the 200mm lens too)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I'll have a go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

This may help you out:

Pentacon 200mm f/4 cleaning

Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 cleaning

(the latter is the better tutorial and I bet you can take those steps for the 200mm lens too)

Thanks for the links, no doubt they'll come in handy one day. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem but these are really very easy lens to clean, at least the glass and blades, I can't speak for relubing the focus ring though. Nevertheless we really should think about hosting these links (texts+pictures) somewhere before they go lost.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck Sad how do you get this bit off to get at the blades Thanks? Crappy shot as my sony is playing up (can take up to 30mins switched on before I can get a decent pic)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed now...I gave up trying to unscrew everything so decided to try and put the one blade (out of position) back into place with a long plastic stick and after about 30mins succeeded. Lucky buy for £2 and can sit with it's sister 135mm Orestor I got about 2 years ago for £4 Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your photo I bet the top most cylinder is unscrewable and gives you direct access to the blades, just like in the 135mm.

Glad you did it anyway! Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
On your photo I bet the top most cylinder is unscrewable and gives you direct access to the blades, just like in the 135mm.

Glad you did it anyway! Enjoy it!

Once that lens is off it can be done I had to shape the plastic stick to the shape of a shepherds staff, but the slot holding the blades in can be seen from the front, so anyone with a similar problem it is probably best to approach from that end.