Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manchester in the rain
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Manchester in the rain Reply with quote

It was horrible weather, dark, raining. Konica C35 loaded with Kodak Vision2 250D, developed in Fomadon LQR, 1:14, 10mins at 21C.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thing about b&w - rain often helps, with the gleam of sidewalks and such. Nicely grim urbanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. That 250D seems to respond well to black and white processing. Is that one of the vision films with a rem-jet backing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, this was something of an experiment so pleased it worked.

Yup, this is the movie film with remjet, but the stuff just comes off during developing, when you pour out the developer it looks pretty black. When it comes to washing, I just run it under the tap while squeegeeing with my fingers to remove the last little bit then soak the film in warm water with a drop of detergent for a couple mins then hang to dry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you are not living in this city Shocked boring weather and dark scenes prove it even more. I like results!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester is quite a nice place but well known for it's bad weather. I hoped to take the opportunity to do some street photography, but the weather intervened, this was just a quick stab at it using my C35 which I think did a nice job of street shooting, shame the lens isn't a little wider but as a point n shoot, the C35 works well, fits alright in a jacket pocket too and I had no worries about isng it in the rain unlike a digicam.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very good...captured the atmosphere perfectly....we lived in Abbey Hey, which is near Gorton, in the sixties.....where were these taken?
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are right in the centre, close to the Arndale bus station, we parked up, ran for a curry at the legendary This n That's then scurried back to the car so it's just a few shots along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm not a good advert to spend time in Manchester for a holiday Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester in June, 10C, dark and raining, great, eh Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester living up to its wet reputation. The back streets are similar to some of those in Newcastle. Coincidently, one of the best curry houses in Newcastle was down a "dodgy" looking back alley like that. The B&W suits the subject matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the modern cars, you could mistake No 4 for a WW2 bombsite. Reminds me of the grim, smoke-stained days and Giles cartoons of the 1950s.

What's happened to No. 4 and a few of the others Ian? They look as though you've given them the HDR treatment, or is it the film?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
If it wasn't for the modern cars, you could mistake No 4 for a WW2 bombsite. Reminds me of the grim, smoke-stained days and Giles cartoons of the 1950s.

What's happened to No. 4 and a few of the others Ian? They look as though you've given them the HDR treatment, or is it the film?

"Bombsite"?.....in Manchester...in the fifties....I can remember plenty of them.....in fact, I can remember saying to my Mum many times, "we're just going to play down at the bombsite"!
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Manchester in June, 10C, dark and raining, great, eh Wink

You'll have to go back to Manchester on a sunny day...erm the south/north divide? The only northern city I've visited is York and I was impressed, also the surrounding countryside noticing roads free from litter compared to the London area where people don't care.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Excalibur"]
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You'll have to go back to Manchester on a sunny day

I personally welcome the rainy days in a city as a photographer, and I don't think they are an handicap at all - on the contrary!
Sure they can be annoying to the photographer... and the camera... but not to the photographs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
You'll have to go back to Manchester on a sunny day

I personally welcome the rainy days in a city as a photographer, and I don't think they are an handicap at all - on the contrary!
Sure they can be annoying to the photographer... and the camera... but not to the photographs.

Yes I know you are very good at it,. but for me I enjoy a nice sunny day cycling or walking in the countryside (sometimes with my grandson)...I can relax taking shots or just snoozing in between listening to the birds whistling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving these results, Ian!