Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A wild but tame Heron
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: A wild but tame Heron Reply with quote

Wild Heron that is tame near the boat, the boat people have been feeding it for 15 years and it's name is Harry, I called his name and he turned his head....I see him many times away from the boat and next time (I see him away from the boat) I'll call his name and see if he will come to me for some chicken. All shots with my favourite sharp zoom Kiron 80-200mm f4 non zoomlock, supermarket dev and scan and the brightness (gamma) adjusted in PS and film is OOD 2007 Reala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeding chicken to a Heron? Isn't that cannibalism? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Laughing

I never thought a heron was the sort of bird to be tamed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Laughing

I never thought a heron was the sort of bird to be tamed.

"Food" is your friend Wink

sidetracking:- I was cycling slowly past this wire fence when I heard a sort off galloping noise and this dirty great ugly fierce looking guard dog, straight from the film "the hound of the Baskervilles" started following me (on the other side of the fence) and growling and I thought what would it do if I offered it some food.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a fishing trip last year and the guide had two egrets similarly trained. They'd show up at the time he brought his boat in each day and he'd toss the unusable bits to them. Pretty neat to watch them eat. Fortunately, I had my Evo with me and got a few pictures.

Birds can learn, but can't teach. So bird knowledge is lost between generations. Basically, that bird will never show other birds where to get free food -- other birds have to discover it on accident.

What kind of boat is your bird being fed from?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great snaps in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David

People live in these boats along the canals in the UK:-

In the 18th century canals were starting to be created to transport goods around the UK (well mainly England) and narrow boats were built and drawn by horses (thus the tow path alongside), so people lived with the goods until they reached their destination. I would assume most of the original boats would have been converted to be lived in more comfortably by now, maybe a few new boats built. Anyway when the steam train was invented canals become obsolete, but since about 1960 a revival had begun to open up the overgrown silted canals, and now people can hire these boats to travel around the country for a holiday.

regard Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
All great snaps in this thread.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool shots.

herons and egrets ARE meat-eaters ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

And fish!
I remember some 40 years ago we had a heron around along my favorite angling water. If someone catched a smaller fish and called loud "Gerrit!" the heron came promptly from where he was to pick up his fish. He knew his name, we gave him, very well.
Nowadays there are several waters where you can see if there regularly angling men are reputed to be succesful. They have a heron as company within half an our after arrival. May be they teach their youngsters now this easy way to get a meal?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

And fish!
I remember some 40 years ago we had a heron around along my favorite angling water. If someone catched a smaller fish and called loud "Gerrit!" the heron came promptly from where he was to pick up his fish. He knew his name, we gave him, very well.
Nowadays there are several waters where you can see if there regularly angling men are reputed to be succesful. They have a heron as company within half an our after arrival. May be they teach their youngsters now this easy way to get a meal?

Before I came across this Heron, I've often tried to photograph them but if I try to get near they fly off. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they even live on houseboats in the canals of Amsterdam. They wait within some meters distance from anglers for some fish. They collect daily food from some inhabitants of the block of flats I live in.
They are not very shy anymore, but keep alert and you cannot feed them by hand AFAIK.
I cannot make a decent picture of them because my dog likes to chase them away. Sad
He likes the loud protesting noise they produce then, especially in the late evening hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots from both you and David, well done, Excal! #3 is my fave, excellent colors!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Very nice shots from both you and David, well done, Excal! #3 is my fave, excellent colors!

Thanks for dropping by...it's difficult to know what the forum would find interesting (other than lens tests) and thought a houseboat and a Heron might work, maybe English pubs might be something different as well and will try that sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Thanks for dropping by...it's difficult to know what the forum would find interesting (other than lens tests) and thought a houseboat and a Heron might work, maybe English pubs might be something different as well and will try that sometime.

Excal, pubs are a good idea. If using manual focus, be sure to take the photos early on, OK? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Excal, pubs are a good idea. If using manual focus, be sure to take the photos early on, OK? Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great little snippet of life on the canals. Looking forward to the pubs - who wouldn't be? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
A great little snippet of life on the canals. Looking forward to the pubs - who wouldn't be? Wink

The best place I went for a drink was a hotel up your way in between York and Scarborough, great time listening to a visiting English folk music/song group Cool ...rip off prices though for drinks with or without the group Sad