Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

T-Max 400 w/ Gradual ST 20 - Bologna
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: T-Max 400 w/ Gradual ST 20 - Bologna Reply with quote

Saturday streets and markets in Bologna, photographed with ZI camera and Biogon 2/35 lens.
These photos were taken only a few hours before the earthquake that happened a few kilometers near.
Film is T-Max 400, developer is Ornano Gradual ST 20.
Clicking on images will bring up some enlargement:

01 - Internal courtyard of a museum

02 - Nuns chat

03- Saturday market in the historical centre

06 - Flowers and Café

07- Historical centre streets

13 - A talk with the police

14 - Students. This small downtown courtyard is a popular meeting, conversation and flirting place for university students.

15 - Cafés in Bologna often have the tables along the arcades

17 - Temptation of gluttony Smile

18 - The cathedrals of Santo Stefano and the piazza

21 - A café worker

22 - Old barber shop (since 1922)...

23 - ... but the times are changing.

24 - Vegetables market

26 - A "head turner" Smile

27 - Crowd in piazza Maggiore waiting for the historical cars of the Mille Miglia to pass

I need to find a way to modify the film holders of the Reflecta scanner by removing the plastic bars that separate the frames.
They do help keeping the film flat, but at the same time they cause the unpleasing brighter bars in the scan that you can see, which eat up precious frame estate.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 1 and 26 most. 1 for the composition and forms and 26 because it could be a still from a 1960s movie.

Do you find that people don't pay as much attention to you if you are shooting a film camera? I seem to have discovered that if I'm shooting an old camera people don't care much but if I'm shooting a modern digital, many don't like it and try to avoid being shot or tell me not to point at them.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian.
With people, I came to the conclusion that a lot depends on your confidence. If you approach the situation with a shy, hesitant attitude,
if you stay distant (using tele), but with an insisting gaze, people becomes defensive.
If instead you approach the place with confidence, brightly, and just capturing what you want once without insisting, people reacts better.
A smile helps a lot also to ease possible frictions.
By paradox, I think that people reacts better if you get close (but not too close to invade private space - i.e. not closer than 3-4 meters) using a wide angle lens,
than if you stay distant (more than 10 meters) but clearly aiming at them.
It's like normal life relations: bodily close presence can be annoying, but too distant attention generates suspicion and unease.
A normal distance for human detached relation - call it talking distance if you like, from 5 to 6-7 meters - is usually what works best, provided that you don't act like a freak that is Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I also find using wide angles seems to bother people less. It's kids I have problems with, I nearly got into a scuffle with three boys about 14 the other week, they ran after me shouting abuse because they thought I'd taken their picture, I must have been 70 metres from them using my Kiev with J-8, I stopped and made it quite clear they could shout all they wanted, i didn't care.

I had some young girls on bicycles, maybe 10yrs old shouting at me a couple of days ago and all I was doing was taking light meter readings, the camera was round my neck.

Young people here seem very paranoid about being caught in a photograph and they are very offensive these days. Old people don't seem to care much.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop from the first image (scan was performed at original 24x36mm size in 1800 DPI resolution, which is half of scanner's optical res)
No grain reduction was performed - grain is exactly as delivered by the film+developer:

I think that the Gradual ST 20 kept a good balance of acutance, grain and contrast, not exceeding in any, providing good quantity of all.
Especially good is the shadow detail I think, obtained while keeping pure black and white at the extremes.
This in spite that it's not a T-grain dedicated developer (the Nucleol was, but sadly Ornano has discontinued it).
I am impressed by the quality of the T-Max 400 film. I am very familiar with the 100 ISO, not so with the 400. Well, it's a world class film for sure. I hope that Kodak will not abandon it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this crop says it all for the Reflecta. I would be happy with that if it was 6x9 from my 4490! Laughing

Really like this set, results with TMAX, and the new scanner!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like TMAX too, the 100 version in Paterson FX-39 has given me the least grain of all the films I've tried so far.

New scanner seems to be good. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMax mostly gets gruff because it's the industry standard, IMO. But it's a very fine film and the third-best 400 ISO film I've ever used (behind Ilford P4 and Adox). It returns good results with minimal grain and has a fairly decent push capacity, if I remember correctly. And it's super fast. Your results show that it's a good film. This is a really solid roll with a number if images to be proud of.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I like a lot Tmax 100 but I am impressed by TMax 400. So little grain! It feels almost like a 100 ISO film. Or if you prefer, like a 400 ISO medium format film.
And like you say David, I am of the impression that it is a real 400 ISO film, not just a wannabe.
It comes first now in my list of 400 ISO film, price is nearly the same as Tri-X but much less grain, and contrary to Tri-X, it does not curl at all.
I plan to try out all the other 400 ISO film that are available, next in line is Ilford Delta 400, after it I will buy a roll of Adox.
400 ISO is perfect for my style of photography, in cities with the buildings masking much skylight it is often difficult to get enough speed for snapshots from a 100 ISO.
Snapshots require a minimum of 1/125 s.t. to stay on the (relatively) safe side, and you need to stop down to at least f/5.6 to get a decent partial hyperfocal,
even when I use my "adaptive hyperfocal" technique.
Of the other 400 ISO I tried also HP5 but it did not impress me to be honest.
I want to try also Efke KB 400 but it's almost impossible to find here.

I am very happy with this roll, thank you! it contains some photo that have entered my favorites list and my to-print list, which is:
1, 2, 6, 13, 17, 18, 21, 22, 24 Very Happy
WIll have to do quite some sky burning but that's part of the fun Laughing Wink
I very rarely get so many printables from one roll!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series!

Orio, have You read Italo Calvino´s book Invisible Cities - La cittá invisibili?

Heres´a passage from chapter "Cities and Rememberance 3":

“The city, however, does not tell its past, but contains it like the lines of a hand, written in the corners of the streets, the gratings of the windows, the banisters of the steps, the antennae of the lightning rods, the poles of the flags, every segment marked in turn with scratches, indentations, scrolls.”

You pictures remind me of the book, somehow.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Great series!
Orio, have You read Italo Calvino´s book Invisible Cities - La cittá invisibili?
Heres´a passage from chapter "Cities and Rememberance 3":
“The city, however, does not tell its past, but contains it like the lines of a hand, written in the corners of the streets, the gratings of the windows, the banisters of the steps, the antennae of the lightning rods, the poles of the flags, every segment marked in turn with scratches, indentations, scrolls.”
You pictures remind me of the book, somehow.

hi Gurdie, yes I have read the book, Calvino's books have always been popular in my family, my father did make a painting inspired to the "Our Ancestors" trilogy.
Your quotation fits like a glove, I entirely recognize my photography in his words. Thanks very much for bringing it up!!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. 24 and 27 work very well for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grain is very good indeed. Many if not most ISO100 b/w films have more grain. Tonal range and sharpness is also not bad at all.
I will buy a large portion Tmax 400 or Ilford Delta 400 next time. I've haven't decided yet which one is better Wink

Where are these horizontal stripes you can see especially on #4 coming from?
Are these from developing or from scanning?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers, I also find using wide angles seems to bother people less. It's kids I have problems with, I nearly got into a scuffle with three boys about 14 the other week, they ran after me shouting abuse because they thought I'd taken their picture, I must have been 70 metres from them using my Kiev with J-8, I stopped and made it quite clear they could shout all they wanted, i didn't care.

I had some young girls on bicycles, maybe 10yrs old shouting at me a couple of days ago and all I was doing was taking light meter readings, the camera was round my neck.

Young people here seem very paranoid about being caught in a photograph and they are very offensive these days. Old people don't seem to care much.

Hehe! I know such situations, but not only from young people. Very Happy There are also elderly people which can react very "violent". Once I was with a friend a cafe and he was playing with his smartphone. When is was finished he pushed the key lock button (which makes a "click" sound). The elderly women which was on the neighbour dish thought she was photographed, and went extremly upset and furious (she yelled very upset through the whole cafe etc., was very embarrassing for us) so that we nearly leaved -.- I took about 5-10min until she calmed down again, even after we showed her that the key lock button made that sound she didn't believe. Sad
What are these people thinking? That they are VIPs and their photo is in the news paper next day?

A good street photographer has to look very innocuous (at best you have to be a female) or has to be simply audacious.
I'm 1,93m, 90kg, 23 years old, blonde with a flamboyant hairstyle so I'm generally a little handicapped for street photography Very Happy
But at least I don't look like a pedophile which would be the greated no-go (at least as long as children or teenagers are in the pic) Very Happy

PS: It's sometimes good to have pepper spray in your pocket when you're doing some street photography Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great rendering of the T-Max and Biogon, my favs #1#2#4#19#22#24#25
#4 for the busy atmosphere, #19 I like the depth given by the columns, #25 it render well the narrow street

ForenSeil wrote:
A good street photographer has to look very innocuous (at best you have to be a female) or has to be simply audacious.
I'm 1,93m, 90kg, 23 years old, blonde with a flamboyant hairstyle so I'm generally a little handicapped for street photography
But at least I don't look like a pedophile Smile

you could be a pedophile even if you are blond
if you are blonde, people could think you are a paparazzi
so are you blond or blonde ?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I have not heard mention of the "Mille Miglia" in a very long time Smile
My uncle owned one of four hand built all aluminum Alfa Romeo built just for the Mille Miglia . If the fool had only kept it Wink It was beautiful !

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erkie, I have seen some of the cars passing and indeed they are a work of art in their own. Beautiful objects.