Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dacora-Matic 4d - 4 shutter buttons - now with samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Dacora-Matic 4d - 4 shutter buttons - now with samples Reply with quote

Dacora Matic 4D by Nesster, on Flickr

Dacora Matic 4D by Nesster, on Flickr

Bill with his Ilford Sporti got me to poking around strange cameras ... When I saw this I knew I had to try one. AKA Ilford Sportmaster and Hanimex Electra II, the Dacora-Matic 4D has 4 shutter buttons.

You pick the button based on subject distance, a zone focusing arrangement. In use, actually not that bad! Except I don't play one, it reminds me of playing an accordion.

The exposure automation leaves something to be desired however. Seems the shutter has a fixed speed based on film ASA - the top ASA speed of 200 gets you 1/500, ASA 100 gets you 1/250, and so on. The shutter speed does not vary. On the other hand, you can select aperture manually (for flash photography), in which case the shutter speed is fixed at 1/30.

There is a little mirror/flag in the viewfinder that seems to reflect the aperture? But no, it seems to reflect the DIN of the film? On mine, this doesn't seem to ever change, so I'll have to test the DIN theory. Oh, and see how the first roll is exposed.

VF itself is spacious and has projected frame lines with a center cross hair. There are no lugs on the camera and mine did not come with a case.

Last edited by Nesster on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you played the accordion you'd have some nice positive transfer with this camera! Wink

Looks in very good nick, looking forward to your results! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really a strange thing! Never seen one before.
http://www.lippisches-kameramuseum.de/Dacora/Dacora-matic_4D.htm
tells that the aperture is mirrored in the viewfinder indeed.
Other fimspeed gives (one and only) other shuttertime. The lightmeter rules the aperture.
Too odd for me!
I am curious if you can handle the oddy good enough to get good pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key will be whether or not the light meter and/or auto exposure actually works - the viewfinder flag seems stuck on f/22. It could just be the flag that is stuck, or it may be the aperture. Wish I didn't have film in already so I could try to see the aperture blades.

The alternative is to accept that the lens is always at f/22 or so, and adjust the film speed to get different shutter speeds. Or use 1/30 and set aperture manually.

Anyway I think this curiosity is going to be my brother in law's birthday present Very Happy (last time he got the Mamiya 16, before that the Minolta 16...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting the test roll of Fujicolor 200 developed... looks like the camera is exposing OK. The lens is nothing to get overly excited about... but not a horrible thing either. I'm rather pleased given the strangeness of the camera.

02_1A by Nesster, on Flickr

No Dumping Violators by Nesster, on Flickr

Last edited by Nesster on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm trying to get one more on here Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Looks very good to me!

+1 and very interesting equipment too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The lens is nothing to get overly excited about... but not a horrible thing either.

For a humble triplet, stretched up to 2.8, that is really not bad IMHO!