Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Plustek OpticFilm 120
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Plustek OpticFilm 120 Reply with quote

Finally, a scanner that will do both 35 and 120:

http://plustek.com/mea/products/opticfilm-series/opticfilm-120/introduction.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like great news, price however is not sounding equally great (1500 Eur)
It costs double than Epson V700, so a lot will depend on what will be the quality of scans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to high I rather buy two separate used scanner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high dpi (if not just software and genuine) would be welcome for 35mm but it would give a massive file on scanning a 6X7 neg. For me 1500 euros is too expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I willing to pay may 400 EUR for a similar scanner , seems have to wait a few years Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, spensive as hell, dammit. Dynamic Range of 4.8 is very good, however.

The Reflecta is not available in the states, and overseas shipping makes it a little less desirable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Perhaps we can get discount on group order 70% off would be nice Wink seriously great thing somebody at least make quality new scanners.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 1500 are way too much for me at the moment, so I'll stick with my 300 Eur Reflecta for 35mm resorting to the old 4490 Epson for the medium format.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking your results with the Reflecta.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am think about this one, affordable.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/plustek-opticfilm-7400-35mm-scanner-film-scanner-review-15222

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I willing to pay may 400 EUR for a similar scanner , seems have to wait a few years Surprised

IMO the best an Epson V700 can achieve (if you paid 400 euro), and using it for 35mm, would be equivalent of a 6mp digital camera, and have read that film could have up to 21mp of detail.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:

IMO the best an Epson V700 can achieve (if you paid 400 euro), and using it for 35mm, would be equivalent of a 6mp digital camera, and have read that film could have up to 21mp of detail.

I saw 35mm scan from Larry on Epson V700 I wasn't impressed, I am pretty fine with V500 , but a lot better 35mm scanner would be nice. Perhaps just a dream to find one on affordable price

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/plustek-opticfilm-7400-35mm-scanner-film-scanner-review-15222

Consider the Reflecta instead, it gets better reviews.
The Plustek 7400 has an effective resolution of 3800 DPI, but in order to get it, you need to scan at 7400 DPI, which creates files huge as mountains. This because the effective resolution is about 50% of the nominal one.
Also, scans at max. resolution are reported to look a bit blurred:
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7400.html
The Reflecta I use has a slightly smaller effective resolution (3250 DPI), but the effective resolution is 90% of the nominal one, so it is sufficient to scan at 3600 DPI to obtain the best image quality. This creates much smaller files.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point ! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Huh! TRUE 7500dpi for £200....no way. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:

Epson V500 say it has higher resolution than 2400 DPI I did try once and stick on 2400 due I didn't see differences, high DPI not exciting to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:

Epson V500 say it has higher resolution than 2400 DPI I did try once and stick on 2400 due I didn't see differences, high DPI not exciting to me.

Well you need to go higher in scanning not for trying to get more detail out of shot (over the true 2480dpi from Epson scanners), but to get less pixel breakup (done by software) esp for showing crops. If you were to show a large crop from a supermarket scanned to CD at about 3mp, it would be terrible, but if the shot is framed correctly (no cropping) and only for a computer screen there is not much difference compared to a V750.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

The Reflecta is not available in the states, and overseas shipping makes it a little less desirable.

I suppose that the Reflecta 120 is sold in the states as the Pacific Image Primefilm 120 so you don't
have to experience overseas shipping rates. Pacific Image produces the Reflecta.
The Reflecta 120 costs about € 1200,-- here in Europe. The Primefilm about $ 1500,-- in the USA.

As for that Plustek 120. If the true optical resolution is about 5000 dpi it's better then the Reflecta.
Also the filmcarriers looks better. If it really performs as well as advertised it surely even will
give some competition for the (no longer produced) Nikon 9000ED and the enormous prices
paid for a 2nd hand 9000ED will surely drop to a more "normal" level.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanskerensky wrote:

I suppose that the Reflecta 120 is sold in the states as the Pacific Image Primefilm 120 so you don't
have to experience overseas shipping rates. Pacific Image produces the Reflecta.
The Reflecta 120 costs about € 1200,-- here in Europe. The Primefilm about $ 1500,-- in the USA.

I am not familiar with this Reflecta 120 model
of course if one shoots primarily medium format, such an expense may make sense.
For me, who I shoot primarily small format, it's an overkill, the ProScan 7200 does very nice small format scans for 300 Euros.
For the occasional medium format, I can accept my old 4490.
Reg. the actual resolution, it is worth checking the serious reviews, because the manufacturers have this bad habit of inflating the value
of optical resolution much above the real value for marketing reason.
One of the reasons that made me choose for the Reflecta ProScan 7200 was the 90% fidelity of their claimed optical resolution.
This creates a good reputation and brand trust, in my humble opinion. I find it really shameful that Plustek inflated the real resolution of the 7400 model by a 50%.
It's like selling a milk bottle pretending that it contains 1 liter when in fact it really has 500ml. Would anyone accept such a product when buying groceries? I don't think so.
This now makes me really doubtful about any specs that Plustek claims

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...erm but 2480dpi is good for medium format as you are starting with a large neg and would say a V500 is good enough for.... non pros or advanced amateurs, the problem has always been 35mm.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed i shoot mostly medium format and scan the film with a Canon 8800F flatbed. But i also shoot regulary with 35mm and use a Nikon Coolscan IV ED which delivers 2900 dpi. When i compare the results of these 2 scanners then for me it's clear that the Nikon performs much better then the Canon. It's not only the pixels that count (the 8800F can deliver more of those then the IV ED !) but the quality of the optical path and the possible dynamic range are also very important for delivering a satisfying result.

With the 8800F i don't see any increase in quality anymore when i approach the 2000 dpi and the brilliance is lacking.
Furthermore the optical path is not exactly sharp. Scans maybe good for the Web but not for quality enlargements.

When that Plustek 120 has indeed a true optical performance of about 5000 dpi (the sensor is more then 10.000 dpi) and the stated dynamic range then it would be a very interesting scanner for me as i can use the same scanner for both the formats i use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It costs double than Epson V700, so a lot will depend on what will be the quality of scans.

I can't find any pricing info. If you don't mind, where did that Number come from (1500Eur)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio wrote:

I can't find any pricing info. If you don't mind, where did that Number come from (1500Eur)?

I read it on a forum, but I don't remember which one.
Try searching for (scanner name) + 1500, maybe it shows up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK good! That's a relief for now anyway. Very Happy
I did a google search before posting. There are only speculations in other forums... Nothing official yet on price or delivery date.
I only hope the actual price is closer to $1200 or so although, this machine looks pretty well built and masterfully designed.
The sales projections at this time can not be very high. Hopefully Plustek is more optimistic and the price e reflects their optimism of selling many units.