Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Görlitz Primagon V 35/4.5 M42 - big surprise
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Meyer Görlitz Primagon V 35/4.5 M42 - big surprise Reply with quote

Meyer Görlitz Primagon V 35/4.5 M42

I didn't expect too much from this lens. Very old, one of the first european retrofocal designs, front element is uncoated (only the inner are)... I was wrong. The only weak point is colour vignetting.

The lens is very sharp. At least comparable to S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5 or MC Flektogon 35/2.4. The lens is very sharp even wide-open. I see almost no difference in sharpness between f/4.5 - f/8 or f/11.

CA is verly low, almost none. Lower than I see on Flektogon 35/2.4 images.

The lens is contrasty, not like majority of old lenses. I adjusted contrast only in similar amount as for modern lenses. Colours are very vivid.

The uncoated front element is great advantage - there are no coating marks which would decimate contrast.

MFD is under 40cm.

"S" in the triangle doesn't mean "schlecht", as I expected, but "superb" Very Happy

Here are some quick samples - if anybody know any utility, which can easily remove the colour vignetting, I'd be wery thankful.

f/8

f/4.5 (wide-opened) - look at the sharpness of in-focus item!

f/5.6

f/11 - colour (green) vignetting is more visible at f/11

flares at f/8:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Slow" lenses often have the advantage that they can be used "wide open".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
"Slow" lenses often have the advantage that they can be used "wide open".

It's just a shame that they don't open very wide! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much sharper than Scheider-Kreuznach Curtagon 35/2.8 or 35/2 Takumars at f/4.5

The green vignetting can be easily corrected even in photoshop:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results.
I have never seen one for sale in Sweden. Are they rare?

/Jan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did shock me too , damn good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormhandler wrote:
Impressive results.
I have never seen one for sale in Sweden. Are they rare?

/Jan

Not very rare and not common at all , showing up month by month on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results indeed. But why on earth is the front element uncoated, but the internal elements are? You are sure the coating is not just wiped off? (I.e. are other Primagons the same?)

Also, I have never seen this color vignetting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormhandler: It seems they are rare, but not overly expensive. I'm not sure if I saw M42 version here in Czech Republic (maybe once?). My copy is from Germany - bought together with old Praktica body.

But the lens is real surprise for me. No any other Meyer alu lens, i have ever tried, was so sharp. Trioplans were quite sharp at f/8 and beyond. Primoplan was softer than Trioplans (maybe slightly sharper at f/4-f/5), but not really sharp. Telefogar a bit better. But Primagon is completely different.

Last edited by no-X on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Also, I have never seen this color vignetting...

This is really weird indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the fist sample with correction of vignetting.

Spotmatic & LucisPictor: I think the color vignetting isn't issue of the lens, but it's caused by the combination of the lens design and design of the Sigma body: IR filter is located tenths of mm beyond the last optical element of the Primagon and the central rays pass shorter distance through the IR glass, than the border ones, which pass sideways. Not sure if my explanation is understandable Laughing

The front element is absolutely smooth, not any single scratch, anything...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till now every Meyer Optik that i've seen was a very nice surprise. Looks like the germans were doing a hell of a job with this lenses.
I'm glad you like the Primagon, the samples are impressive indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, No-X

Great lens!!!

It seems to be sharp like my flektagon 35/2,4

Obviously it is sharp, HAVE THE "S" in the triangle Laughing

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told, that some lenses designed for Contax SLRs, were marked by letter "S" (="Sonder" or "Special") and it should mean highest quality... But I don't know... the lens is definately good copy, but it would be 3rd symbol with the same meaning (1Q / 1Δ / SΔ) and that would be quite strange...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

image links are dead Sad now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
image links are dead Sad now

They still work here!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
it would be 3rd symbol with the same meaning (1Q / 1Δ / SΔ) and that would be quite strange...

They had a system of this symbols, in fact if I remember two systems, one for export and one for the internal market. If it is of interest I can look in my smartbooks about this. I saw it somewhere described.