Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 300mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 300mm f/4 Reply with quote

Thank you to all who recommended this lens. Although it is very large and heavy, I very much like using it and the results seem just fine. Relatively little CA and sharp at f/4. I think the images have a very nice color and bokeh. I actually have two of these, so just listed one in the Marketplace.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had one for a short while, but I found the bad color correction problematic. For b/w ok.

100% crop:

Is it this one?

Last edited by blende8 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a little different. I only applied CA correction to one of the fence pictures. The statues received no correction and were shot at f/4. I adjusted contrast minimally, but color looks fine to me. Here's the one:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

woodrim wrote:
Looks a little different. I only applied CA correction to one of the fence pictures. The statues received no correction and were shot at f/4. I adjusted contrast minimally, but color looks fine to me. Here's the one:

This looks like mine, ex-P6, with a removable mount ...
One of these days should really go out testing it ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4.5/300 in M42. Tried it this weekend outdoors in the sun, it dose have some issues when shooting at a sharp angle to the sun. Colour rendition improves greatly if you're shooting at more than 90 degrees from the sun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pentacon branded version of this lens, but I have never tried properly. It's to massive to just bring for a walk Very Happy

Thx for posting your results!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's 2 kg!

Here's the aperture of my lens (19 blades):

Nice round CoC:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I know very little of the Meyer brand and its series of lenses. This is the first Meyer I have purchased. I would suspect the f/4.5 version is an entirely different lens, and they seemed to be priced less on ebay. I do understand that Meyer became Pentacon at some point, but wonder if that in any way affected production. So far I am only experiencing good things from this lens, including the extra exercise by carrying it around, although my left arm started to give out after a while.

I have found that I react very quickly to lenses. Some just feel right from the beginning and others don't. My experiences are sometimes different than others'. For instance, I never liked using my Takumar 28mm while others praised it. The MIR 1B didn't impress me while the Helios 44-2 does. This Orestegor feels good and I like what I see through the lens. It seems to focus easily and the results are very pleasing to my eye. It performs well fully open, but to be fair, a starting point of f/4 isn't as challenging to a lens as are the faster ones. I do realize that a tripod will be a necessity, so it does lack convenience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Nice round CoC:

Wow, how much better can that get? I have not yet shot at higher number than f5.6.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Honestly, I know very little of the Meyer brand and its series of lenses. This is the first Meyer I have purchased. I would suspect the f/4.5 version is an entirely different lens, and they seemed to be priced less on ebay. I do understand that Meyer became Pentacon at some point, but wonder if that in any way affected production. So far I am only experiencing good things from this lens, including the extra exercise by carrying it around, although my left arm started to give out after a while.

I have found that I react very quickly to lenses. Some just feel right from the beginning and others don't. My experiences are sometimes different than others'. For instance, I never liked using my Takumar 28mm while others praised it. The MIR 1B didn't impress me while the Helios 44-2 does. This Orestegor feels good and I like what I see through the lens. It seems to focus easily and the results are very pleasing to my eye. It performs well fully open, but to be fair, a starting point of f/4 isn't as challenging to a lens as are the faster ones. I do realize that a tripod will be a necessity, so it does lack convenience.

I loved mine and regret selling it to this day. I shot mine mainly hand held but it does better when used with a tripod. Of my pre-set lens it was the best. Very good photos there showing it's good color rendition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy above is the latest version ever built by Meyer Optik Görlitz.
It was made in 1990, shortly before the liquidation of the company. Prize new was ca. 300 DM.

The lens illuminates the 6x6 format. Thus its size.
You can attach various adapters, e.g. M42, Praktica, Nikon, Pentax PK, T2.
If you remove the adapter, you have the K6 mount (Exakta 66 / Pentacon Six):

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this lens, but Alessandro speaks very well of it. He reports little or no CA.
I think there is the ever seen problem with GDR lenses: copy variation. Especially in the last period the GDR lenses from both Zeiss and Meyer seem to suffer from big variancy in quality, and alongside with great copies you can find some dog ones. Older makes, such as the zebras or even before, the aluminiums, have weaker coating than the MC version, but seem much more reliable copy-variation wise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
My copy above is the latest version ever built by Meyer Optik Görlitz.
It was made in 1990, shortly before the liquidation of the company. Prize new was ca. 300 DM.

The lens illuminates the 6x6 format. Thus its size.
You can attach various adapters, e.g. M42, Praktica, Nikon, Pentax PK, T2.
If you remove the adapter, you have the K6 mount (Exakta 66 / Pentacon Six):

YOu mean the whole barrel after the tripod mount? It's indeed odd that my M42 version is getting a lot smaller at this point (if I unscruw part of the housing).
19 blades in the aperture look about right for my 4.5/300 too, they're mounted absolutely the same.
Due to it's size I don't use it that much, I need such lenses for sports photography and it's simply too bulky to do any panning shots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo wrote:
YOu mean the whole barrel after the tripod mount?

Yes, this conus is the adapter. You can unscrew it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Ivo wrote:
YOu mean the whole barrel after the tripod mount?

Yes, this conus is the adapter. You can unscrew it.

Aha, I thought so. Three screws are visible. Not that I want to change it, M42 is ok for me Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly been shooting this lens at f/4, and while it is very much acceptable in sharpness, it certainly isn't as sharp as others of my lenses. However, this may be the first lens I've had where I can appreciate overall image quality as something that trumps sharpness.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of this lens. http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-optik-orestegor-300-f4-t7560.html

I enjoy using it, but i think it is not as sharp as my Tair 3S.

The Orestegor is also very heavy, but i used it at Le Mans Classic 2008 and succeed some fine shoots.

http://309gti.xu9ja.free.fr/Voitures/2008/2008_07_12_LeMansClassic/LMC2008_pp2010.htm

(do not take care about 50mm f2 Smile )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson, did you manage to pan with this enormous lens? I had some issues with it, only after taking an 'easy shot' at the Namur cyclocross I was convinced that this lens can be good.

Shooting riders at a tight angle to the sun and at higher speed was not so succesful:

While turning away from the sun a lot more (probably 100-120 degrees from the sun) and a slower subject changed the colours tremendously (and the sharpness):

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo wrote:
Nelson, did you manage to pan with this enormous lens?

I tried, but i had few space to pan, light was lacking and i was afraid not to succeed holding the lens, that's is why shutter speed is fast.

I will try one again Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I don't have this lens, but Alessandro speaks very well of it. He reports little or no CA.
I think there is the ever seen problem with GDR lenses: copy variation. Especially in the last period the GDR lenses from both Zeiss and Meyer seem to suffer from big variancy in quality, and alongside with great copies you can find some dog ones. Older makes, such as the zebras or even before, the aluminiums, have weaker coating than the MC version, but seem much more reliable copy-variation wise.

+1

I have few versions 4/300mm and funny, newer, though looking awesome and being in state "as new" produce more chromatic aberration then 20-30 years older samples. As if latest MC would be a miss. I am pretty sure though in some conditions newer would act better i just didn't found out what would that conditions be Smile.

Could new MC in spite of worst CA produced better sharpness and detail resolution?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what approximate year mine would be?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Orio wrote:

+1

I have few versions 4/300mm and funny, newer, though looking awesome and being in state "as new" produce more chromatic aberration then 20-30 years older samples. As if latest MC would be a miss. I am pretty sure though in some conditions newer would act better i just didn't found out what would that conditions be Smile.

Could new MC in spite of worst CA produced better sharpness and detail resolution?

Like its smooth OOF rendering. Pleasant look.
I found three versions on web. Now find out which is better and in which aspect. Would nice addition to my P6 pack. Could it somebody compare to CZJ Sonnar 300/4? Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the weekend shoot at Shem Creek...
This one into the sun:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beast of a lens to carry around, but I love using it. For whatever rason, I seem to like using long lenses for portraits. My son visited for the holidays and posed for me during a walk on the beach. I thought I would share these pictures from this wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting lens. I had a 35mm lens once, seemed to have incredible build quality, but never actually shot with it, as it was damaged & I was using it for spares.

Some great samples here too. The bokeh looks almost glassy at time, I really like the character.