Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 20-24mm lens for land- and cityscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Which 20-24mm lens for land- and cityscapes? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for a wide lens for land- and cityscapes in the 20-24mm range. I had a Samyang 14mm, but found it waaay too wide and the lack of filters was a big downside. Now I'm looking for a lens to shoot landscapes with, probably in the 20-24mm range as I don't like the ULTRA wide look. Mind you, I'm shooting on a 5D classic.
I guess the obvious suggestion is the Olympus 24mm f/2.8, but I would just like to know if there's any other lenses that are as good as, or better than the Olympus. Budget is around ~150€.

Regards, Tijmen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T the best 24/2.8 ive ever used is the yashica ml, contax c/y mount. awesome lens, no distortion, fits everything digital, reasonable price. the konica ar 24/4 is good, though not as good, but doesnt fit everything, and i think a little harder to get. for RF lens i enjoy the cv skopar 24/4. again not as good as the yashica, but really tiny and great on crop cam, good on film.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24mm lenses are usually good even Sigma 24mm is good or Sun or Tamron and often go on low price. I like Konica, Olympus, Yashica , Nikon 24mm lenses. Think about Carl Zeiss Jena 25mm Exakta lens in distortion beat all and at F8-F11 sharp like any of above and fit into your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Think about Carl Zeiss Jena 25mm Exakta lens in distortion beat all and at F8-F11 sharp like any of above and fit into your budget.

+1 for the CZJ 25/4.
I had one for a while in m42 mount, and I regret I sold it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon ais 24/2.8 is a stunner. Very sharp indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Is there much difference between the Nikon 24mm f/2.8 non-Ai or AI-s IQ wise?
Also, is the 20mm f/4 any good? I don't care for fast apertures. I think 20mm would suit my needs best; more so than 24mm, as it would be quite close to me 28mm.

I'd like something a little wider than 24mm preferably. The Olympus Zuik 21mm f/3.5 or f/2 would be ideal (is there a big difference in optical quality?), but kinda outta my budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with what camera are you going to use these?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Is there much difference between the Nikon 24mm f/2.8 non-Ai or AI-s IQ wise?
Also, is the 20mm f/4 any good? I don't care for fast apertures. I think 20mm would suit my needs best; more so than 24mm, as it would be quite close to me 28mm.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tijmen, you possibly haven't missed it, but in case you have (as a new member) - just take a look at some Tobias' experience sharing here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stitching-t19182.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-2012-advanced-guide-to-panorama-stiching-t49676.html

There are so many great wide lenses shown in action! After last tutorial my wide wish list had been corrected Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20/4 AI is also excellent, and tiny! It needs a rear section to be removed for use on a Canon EOS 5D though (easy enough to do, just need to unscrew the part).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: sharp 28mm Reply with quote

I have a couple of very nice and also cheap 28mm f2.8 Tokina and Vivitar the Tokina is VERY sharp and Vivitar is very sharp at f11, no CA with the Tokina either (very little with the Vivitar)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
with what camera are you going to use these?

The lens will be used on a 5D.

I think 20-21mm would be ideal for my purpose: plenty wide on my 5D, but not so wide I can see my own shoes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the 17mm Tokina for 40€ (pretty good deal I guess), just to try it out and to see how I like focal length. I think I'll find it too wide, but it's nice as a reference point. Still haven't decided which lens to get.

What lenses do you guys use for wide-angle landscape photography?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma Mini wide II got raving reviews (unfortunately most of these seem to be in old non-AF minolta mount)

on digital any good prime should do I'd say

i use 50mm macro lenses for film

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
Bought the 17mm Tokina for 40€ (pretty good deal I guess)

Likely so. Last two ones I saw went for EUR 150 ( Nikon mount ) and remained unsold for EUR 10 ( Minolta MD ) respectively. Of course I "needed" the Nikon one Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is not relevant to the OP, but wondering how FD 20/2.8 fares compared to the other suggestions here?