Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bulk film question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Bulk film question Reply with quote

I ask those who know (it seems better than asking those who don't know Laughing )
How many 36 pose rolls can you make from 30,5 meters of film (which seems to be the standard measure)?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 36exp roll is 1.4m long so divide 30.5 by 1.4 = 21.78.

Call it 21.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this way I can figure out how much is the bargain from premade rolls.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eye on ebay for cheap bulk rolls, I've bought several lately very cheap so I have enough film to last me a couple of years, I'm also hunting film types that are no longer available, just found a 30m roll of Kodak Vericolor, it was discontinued in 2003, I only paid 10ukp.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing is that you do not need to spool 36 exposures every time- sometimes I'm putting 12 or 24 only.

The bad thing is that you need to be careful not to apply to much tension - sometimes the film gets scratched. Another annoying thing is that once you load your bulk loader you have only this type of film until it finishes Smile. After 1 year I still have Rollei Retro 80S in my loader and it may take a while until the roll gets empty.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the infos!
I don't think the occupied loader can be a problem. An empty cartridge for format 135 costs 90 eurocents. Easy enough to buy 20 of them and load them all together. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks everyone for the infos!
I don't think the occupied loader can be a problem. An empty cartridge for format 135 costs 90 eurocents. Easy enough to buy 20 of them and load them all together. Wink
there´s no need to buy empty cartridges - I use the used ones from commercial labs, they give you them for free. there aren´t any issues with light leaks or whatsoever, 100+ cartridges went through my camera, just take care with fixing the start of film on the spool.

also the bulk loader costs 10ukp max on ebay - I am thinking about getting the second one, just in case:)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use my bulk loader, I just roll it by hand in the dark, never had a problem, just loaded 25 rolls today, a bit tedious but so is using a bulk loader. I just use normal electrical tape to secure it to the spool.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest 24 frames , shorter rolls more handy in dark when you load it into spiral.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true, 24exp rolls are much easier to load onto a spiral.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you use steel tanks and spirals...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 36 exp roll isn't 1.4meters. That's just the 36 frames, not including the leaders needed. By the time you figure in the leaders, it comes to about 19 full rolls.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have any problem loading 36 poses film into my AP spirals.
I only may -occasionally- have problem if I forget to cut round the corners of the film at the side it enters the spiral. But since I don't forget... I don't have problems Laughing

But shorter rolls have an advantage when it comes to making tests. 36 poses can be eternally long when you simply want to make a test that requires 12 photos at the most.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Another annoying thing is that once you load your bulk loader you have only this type of film until it finishes Smile. After 1 year I still have Rollei Retro 80S in my loader and it may take a while until the roll gets empty.

I unload the remaining roll and put it back to metal container, and use another roll. Marking and storing is a bit messy, but ok. Also i reuse empty film caps, and roll out 10 pcs a time different type. The work might be too much sometime, and i got the second bulk loader.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wingspan with one wrist cocked in is about 36 exp. If you don't use a loader, you don't lose at least two shots at the tail end, and I find it quicker just working in the dark and getting it over with.

It's important to use long enough tape so that you have tape on both the front and back of the film--otherwise you just pull the film off the roll at the end. I wouldn't even think to mention this, except that I've known people to not do it.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Keep your eye on ebay for cheap bulk rolls, I've bought several lately very cheap so I have enough film to last me a couple of years, I'm also hunting film types that are no longer available, just found a 30m roll of Kodak Vericolor, it was discontinued in 2003, I only paid 10ukp.

dont be surprised if you get not the color "green" right with vericolor. use only newest, old is crap. vc IIIS if i dont err.