Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chicago Airport Ohare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Chicago Airport Ohare Reply with quote

Taken with a 1953 Sears Tower Model 51 Range Finder with an Isco Gottingen Westar 2.8/50mm lens
Film:Kodak BW400cn
Processed in in Unicolor Powder C-41 Film Negative Processing Kit

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the framing on number 2. Something looks odd about them, though. Low contrast? The first one see,s flat. Is that a result the camera typically provides?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the film is low contrast, thats what you see. i shoot it quite often and it is definitely a lower contrast film, though perhaps not as much as seen above. also, ive found film development to be pretty inconsistent.

cool series, nicely composed. i do think they might have benefitted from a little PP.
tony

Last edited by rbelyell on Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I love the framing on number 2. Something looks odd about them, though. Low contrast? The first one see,s flat. Is that a result the camera typically provides?

I agree, 2 is nicely framed, but they do look a bit odd, perhaps a little underdeveloped. This film also works find in normal BW chemistry, I developed a roll of it in Ilford Microphen last year, contrast was normal.

With a little PP you can always fix contrast though.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice grain & resolution, I also think little more contrast can help

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The struggle with b&w scans seems to be between holding the dark details vs maintaining a visual sense of contrast. I find it very difficult to hold both - and invariably on another monitor, whatever subtleties I've managed are entirely different. There's also the creeping dark splotch syndrome, where the real dark gobbles up along grain and pixelated contours... which to my eye you got right to the edge of in that second version. Probably means that's as far as you can take that particular photo... I do find myself wanting the focus to have been on the two people in the front.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comments from all, thanks all for the pointers on the PP. Always learning something new from these comments.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

This camera gives good results, the lack of contrast is from my developing or my scanner a HP-G4050.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first scanner was an HP, but soon off-loaded it for a used Epson 2450. Were these scanned as color negatives
or B&W? Really like the photo of the people rushing towards you, hope you didn't get stampeded.

Last time I landed in O'Hare was end of July '99 returning from Japan and it was 110F, stepping onto the enclosed ramp from the plane was like an oven.

Would like to see a picture of the camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little PP on one of them, all with free software:

Last edited by Katastrofo on Fri May 11, 2012 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
My first scanner was an HP, but soon off-loaded it for a used Epson 2450. Were these scanned as color negatives
or B&W? Really like the photo of the people rushing towards you, hope you didn't get stampeded.

Last time I landed in O'Hare was end of July '99 returning from Japan and it was 110F, stepping onto the enclosed ramp from the plane was like an oven.

Thanks for showing how the image could be cleaned up in PP.
These were scanned as color negatives.
People seem to step around you when people are taking pictures. I have noticed many times that when people from other countries are taking pictures people just walk around and keep going.
I will get a picture taken of the camera and post, will put a link

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Pictures of the camera posted here

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1232741.html#1232741

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Kodak BW400CN all the time and always thought of it as a quite contrasty film, although that my be just the way the lab I use develops and scans it. I often use a slight U shaped adjustment curve in Lightroom to tone the contrast down slightly.

Cheers, Kris.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that C-41 monochrome film compared to real B&W film is like factory produced pre-cooked lasagne compared to the real ones hand made in Bologna.