Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need some info/advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Need some info/advice Reply with quote

After playing for some days with a Contax G, I had so much fun that I'd like to buy an interchangeable lens rangefinder camera, but I'm not really aware of the available possibilities
What I wanted to know is: what are the options i should consider (keeping in mind that price is a major issue)?

I know i will find many answers searching through the forum's older thread, but I just couldn't since I don't know what exactly I am looking for.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, the contax is an AF camera, not really a true 'rangefinder, as that implies manual focus utilizing one 'patch' superimposed over another.

having said that, the G system is great on an IQ level, and you can pick up a G1 plus either a 28/2.8 or a 45/2 for $4-500 usd.

you could also pick up a russian RF, like a FED, but i think they only have frame lins for 50mm, though i believe you could use the entire frame to frame 35mm. then you could pick up a cheap jupiter 50/2 or slightly more expensive 50/1.5, and a jupiter 35/2.8 for a total of less than $300. imo, IQ will not match contax.

the next cheapest 'real' rf camera i think would be an M mount bessa T, that runs about $2-250 usd, utilizes magnified RF manual focusing, but requires external framing, attached to the hot shoe.

after these, you start getting into a more expensive range of bessa or leica cams...
tony

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try manual focusing/manual exposure first. If that works for you, then make your RF investment.

How about a good leaf-shutter Japanese RF ? There are plenty of good ones under $50. They all have 38-45mm lenses, many with f/2 or larger apertures.

BTW, with interchangable lens RF's, the body is the least of your financial worries. If you want any sort of good wide angle you will pay more for that than the body (assuming you are avoiding the Leica M's).

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no better option for price vs performance than a Kiev and Jupiter lenses, see my set here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/kiev-ii-and-lenses-t49762.html

The early silver lenses are almost always stunning performers, I have a 1957 J-8 which is fantastic:

A 1963 J-9 which is also fantastic:

A 1967 J-12 which is great:

I also have a 1973 J-11 but haven't tried it yet, it should also be great as my other copy in M39 is.

The Kiev is a better camera than any of the FEDs or Zorkis, although I have a FED and a Zorki and they are good cameras I'd always go for the Kiev before them.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the G1, a Contax II, and few more inexpensive rf cameras i can confirm the leaf shutter fixed rangefinders are one of the best you can get for not so much money.
My favorite is Minolta Hi Matic 7s like this http://mattsclassiccameras.com/minolta_himatic_7s.html

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the fixed lens leaf shutter rangefinders, mostly of the Japanese variety.

You get metering and auto exposure from the golden era Japanese cameras, though for many the battery is a problem there are ways around. The models vary in flexibility (i.e. is there a manual exposure mode), but ones from all the majors are excellent, if large - Konica, Minolta, Yashica... And these tend to have decently spacious view finders, and get you into the RF world to test the waters.

While the 70s rf's are a gateway to a modern exchangeable lens camera (Besa, Leica etc), the 50's fixed lens cameras are the gateway drug to the Kiev (+100 on that recommendation for IQ/price), Fed/Zorki, and other meterless wonders. In the 50's set, there are the usual Japanese (Konica being probably the best, Minolta, etc) and German (Agfa/Ansco etc etc). These give you a squintier viewfinder but a high quality vintage experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the really valuable info.
I have a chance to get a kiev4+Jupiter8 for little money at a shop here: if the camera is in good condition and the price is actually as low as it seems (somewhere between € 30 and 50), I will get it.
In the meantime I will look for leaf shutter on eBay.