Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arista Pro 400, Ornano Gradual ST 20
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Arista Pro 400, Ornano Gradual ST 20 Reply with quote

Thanks to Bill for sending me one roll of this film! It really makes a killer match with the Gradual ST 20 developer.
Best results I got in B&W from a longtime (tonally speaking)!
I think Gradual ST 20 is the best match for the Tri-X 400 and this Arista film looks a lot like the Tri-X
(I developed using the times listed for the Tri-X and the negatives turned out perfect).

Still got the usual problems from the 4490 (like: Newton rings appearing even if there is no glass! Shocked )
but luckily it's days as 35mm scanner are numbered. Very Happy

ZI camera, Snapshot-Skopar 4/25 lens set to hyperfocal in all shots.
Click on image for an enlargement:

(#1 to #5) Belinda Bencic (Swiss/Slovakian, white jacket) and Camilla Rosatello (Italian, dark jacket) waiting in the tunnel to enter the court for the Ladies' final
of the 29th Edition of the Junior Tennis Championship of Salsomaggiore

(all the tennis photos were taken on Sunday 6th, one day after our film event)

#5 - the final can begin

#6 - cameras of Sky TV (Murdoch still going strong here)

#7 - a field switch

#8 - the final was a very fast routine victory for Bencic. The ball kids line up for the ceremony...

#9 - ...and so do the linesmen

#10 - Camilla Rosatello, the losing finalist

#11 - Belinda Bencic, the winner (2 years younger than her opponent, 15 vs. 17)

#13 - Rosatello receives the second prize. She was very sad, she cried all the time.

#14 - and Bencic the winner's cup (and a wild card for a WTA pro tournament in Italy)

#15 - Bencic with the cup. She displayed an incredible talent during this tournament, I'm sure we'll hear her name in the future.

#16 - Belinda Bencic with some little fans...

#18 - ... and with her father/trainer, who became the blue-eyed boy of our local audience because of his funny sounding coaching advices Very Happy

#19 - Two moments of the Men's final, of which I could only follow the first points

These last four photos were taken in Bologna on Saturday 12th, at the marketplace in Piazza dell'Otto Agosto.
Typical "roll finishers"
Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, love these results! Arista Premium is TriX, so let me know if you want more, quite cheap
from Freestyle.

Looking forward to seeing some of these when you get the new scanner!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, love these results! Arista Premium is TriX, so let me know if you want more, quite cheap
from Freestyle.

Thank you Bill, unfortunately the shipping cost and the customs charges make the bargain vanish Sad

Katastrofo wrote:
Looking forward to seeing some of these when you get the new scanner!

The new scanner arrived today, but the bundled software is a joke. An atrocity. I mean, it even posterizes the images! I hoped to be able
to avoid buying the Silverfast, but it seems it's absolutely needed to obtain what the scanner can deliver.

One of the photos of this set scanned twice in comparison, Epson 4490 Photo vs. Reflecta ProScan 7200.
The 7200 uses the Silverfast scanning software in Demo mode (hence the watermark)
The Epson photos has been optimized n Photoshop, while the 7200 photo is "as is" out of the scanner:

A closeup of the white jacket where you can see the unexplaineable erratic Newton rings in the Epson scan.
There was no intermediate glass!
The Reflecta photo shows some detail less (a matter of noise reduction to be tuned, most likely) but does not show any Newton rings:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trial software/7200 certainly opens up shadow detail...have you thought about doing a trial with Vuescan,
for comparison?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results, I like the tonality and the contrast.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
The trial software/7200 certainly opens up shadow detail...have you thought about doing a trial with Vuescan,
for comparison?

I did, but the slide I tried turned out completely yellow Question And I wasn't able to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice results, I like the tonality and the contrast.

Me too, this developer delivers a full range of tones without giving up on the overall contrast.