Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lucky SHD100, Konica FT-1, Hexar f3.5 28mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Lucky SHD100, Konica FT-1, Hexar f3.5 28mm Reply with quote

Shot this today to try out the Hexar which I bought a while back but forgot about. Stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 60 mins at 20C.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dev/film combo was successful. How much Rodinal did you use? With the link
I posted of Rodinal stand, he stressed using 4ml as a global amount in both 35mm and
120. So, 4ml to 500 for 120 is 1:125 and I use 400ml of water to do 1:100 in 35mm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series! I like especially first one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 1:100 and my tank takes 300ml so I used 3ml. I'm not sure if I have another roll of Lucky 100 to try again, I'll have a look.

Cheers Attila, that's my favourite too, nice and simple subject.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get the Lucky color films in GB, both in 35 and 120?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice texture.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to order the Lucky stuff from ebay, it comes from China, not seen a UK stockist.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was Chinese, thought it might be offered locally as an import. If I move to Thailand,
Lucky and Shanghai will be the predominant brands offered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't there be Fuji out there too?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found another roll of Lucky 100 so I'll shoot it and develop it normally instead of stand, see if it comes out more contrasty, might tell you more about this film and whether it will work well for you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'r living in an untidy town Shocked Wink
I enjoy the series anyway Very Happy

You have to try a more contrasty development with the lucky film. Especially if the sund wasn't shaded.
How did you digitalize the film? The whites look a little bit burned out for a stand-development.
Was #3 shot wide open? The soft glow on high contrast areas is a little stronger than I would expect from this lens (I also have a Konica 28/3.5 but never used it much though). Or is this a problem of the film?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson Perfection 3200 scanner.

#3 was at f11 I think, if not, f8. The sun was only just and so out of frame to the top right.

I haven't tried this lens before, the Hexanon 3.5/28 is a favourite of mine, I just bought this Hexar as part of my Konica collection as it was dirt cheap in almost mint condition in the original leather case.

My town is a shithole, dirty, rundown and decaying, derelict buildings everywhere, it makes me sad and angry. Sure we're poor, but there's no excuse for the way some people just leave junk lying around and take zero care of their houses and property.

Some more shots from this roll that show how things are here, sadly:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this last one for the long look down the lane.

Fuji is offered in Bangkok and the touristy coastal places, like Pattaya Beach, but
where I will be is near Ubon, and there it is mostly Chinese film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Epson Perfection 3200 scanner.

#3 was at f11 I think, if not, f8. The sun was only just and so out of frame to the top right.

I haven't tried this lens before, the Hexanon 3.5/28 is a favourite of mine, I just bought this Hexar as part of my Konica collection as it was dirt cheap in almost mint condition in the original leather case.

Ups, I don't have the Hexar, I only have the Hexanon. Laughing
In the meanwhile I think nevertheless this issue caused by a missing halation protection of the film and not an issue of the lens.

I guess this issue might cause very cool effects under when used correctly Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, what issue do you mean?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the meanwhile I think nevertheless this issue caused by a missing halation protection of the film and not an issue of the lens.

I guess this issue might cause very cool effects under when used correctly Smile

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't understand, what issue do you mean?

100% crop from #3:

Do you see the low acutance on high-contrast tansitions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand, sorry. I had to google acutance...

Here's the same portion from the original 3200dpi scan without any PP:

The sun was literally just above the telephone pole, it was early evening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not flaring as flaring would not be only limited to the high-contrast edges and I also don't believe that's some kind of soft glow or CAs from the lens as that pic was taken @ at least F8

So I think it's caused by light that penetrated through the emulsion and reflected from the carrier/camera slightly diffused back into the emulsion again. Usually this issue is minimized by a "anti halation" layer, but the cheap Lucky film seems not to have one (or only a poor one).

Some people (including me) like this effect for some pics as it can produce interesting "soft glow" effects.
Efke IR 820 is also available as an "Aura"-version without anti-halation layer for example.

Nice to know that there's such a film available below the price of the Efke IR 820 Aura Wink (which is my fav. film btw)
Btw, is the Lucky SHD sensitive to IR? I guess it's not but would be very cool Very Happy

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like much the first one, it looks like a photo I could have taken myself.
Quite good series overall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I like much the first one, it looks like a photo I could have taken myself.
Quite good series overall.

I like the first one, too, well-spotted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the explanation Forenseil, I would never have noticed that, and just put it down to flare from the sun. You Germans are notoriously good at attention to the smallest details! Wink

I've got one more roll of this lucky 100 to shoot, I'll try to capture a scene with the sun just out of frame to see if this issue crops up again.

I'm very pleased you like that shot Orio, I had your picture that was spoiled by the running man in mind when I took it. Smile

I felt the houses and empty scene gave it a sense of isolation and loneliness.

I have to admit, I'm enjoying shooting and developing my own BW film so much I haven't even used any of my digital cameras in two weeks. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

I think it's not flaring as flaring would not be only limited to the high-contrast edges and I also don't believe that's some kind of soft glow or CAs from the lens as that pic was taken @ at least F8

So I think it's caused by light that penetrated through the emulsion and reflected from the carrier/camera slightly diffused back into the emulsion again. Usually this issue is minimized by a "anti halation" layer, but the cheap Lucky film seems not to have one (or only a poor one).

Some people (including me) like this effect for some pics as it can produce interesting "soft glow" effects.
Efke IR 820 is also available as an "Aura"-version without anti-halation layer for example.

Nice to know that there's such a film available below the price of the Efke IR 820 Aura Wink (which is my fav. film btw)
Btw, is the Lucky SHD sensitive to IR? I guess it's not but would be very cool Very Happy

I just bought this film and as predicted I was able to reproduce this effect with a lens which surely not the malefactor

You can see exactly the same effect
I think I was right - this film has clearly a bad- or non existend anti-halation layer Wink
It seems to be only visible when the shot ist over-exposed or very high-contrasted.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sun May 13, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I really don't care. Rolling Eyes

In photography the big picture is what counts and these little details are not important.

You focussed on one minor detail of one shot in the series, and it was confined to to a corner and barely noticeable.

I'm sorry but it's pointless to obsess over these little details, just make the shot and worry about the important factors - subject composition, exposure.

People on this forum obsess too much about the camera and lens and the little technical details, those are all minor factors in the overall picture, some visual sense and artistic vision is far more important than any technical aspect.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You know, I really don't care. Rolling Eyes

In photography the big picture is what counts and these little details are not important.

You focussed on one minor detail of one shot in the series, and it was confined to to a corner and barely noticeable.

I'm sorry but it's pointless to obsess over these little details, just make the shot and worry about the important factors - subject composition, exposure.

People on this forum obsess too much about the camera and lens and the little technical details, those are all minor factors in the overall picture, some visual sense and artistic vision is far more important than any technical aspect.

Well I think this detail could be used to create really really cool effects. For example by overexposing a white plant in front of completly black background etc..
I don't see this only as a little detail of this film, I think it's big detail as it's very unique.
If I had a working flash at the moment I would make some serious experiments with that

And you are completely right about the people in this forum including me! But you can also have a lot fun by playing around with technical things, experimenting, collecting, etc.. That's not serious photography of course, but it's also an interesting hobby! You should not denounce that.