Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50mm f/5.6 Rodagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: 50mm f/5.6 Rodagon Reply with quote

I just picked up an enlarger with a lens I've never heard of before, a 50mm f/5.6 Rodagon. I find very few references to it on the web, and they refer to it as some sort of revolutionary Plasmat design from the 70s or 80s. Does anyone know anything about this one?

I just brought it home, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it. Eventually I'll be able to test it in a darkroom I'm making, but for the time being all I'll be able to do with it is to try it for duping negatives...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load up a picture with the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting thing to me is how tiny the glass is, and how round:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 50mm f/5.6 Rodagon Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
I just picked up an enlarger with a lens I've never heard of before, a 50mm f/5.6 Rodagon. I find very few references to it on the web, and they refer to it as some sort of revolutionary Plasmat design from the 70s or 80s. Does anyone know anything about this one?

I just brought it home, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it. Eventually I'll be able to test it in a darkroom I'm making, but for the time being all I'll be able to do with it is to try it for duping negatives...

It was a lens of the top-line by Rodenstock before they produced the 50/2.8, so you can be sure it's a very good enlarger lens but slow for 50mm and so a little annoying to focus.
It will be above average but not as good as the Apo-Rodagon, Apo-Componon-S, Focotar-2, etc.

50mm enlarger lenses are generally usable but not good for duping negatives bye the way. We already had the topic. There might be some exceptions of 50mm enlarger lenses which perform very well at around 1:1 of course. Please give us a feedback Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu May 31, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One positive aspect of enlarging lenses when used for duplication is that they are built to be focused wide open and operated stopped down,
meaning they (the good ones) have no focus shift.
Which is what you also want when duplicating (being able to focus wide open and stop down for shooting).

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how it is as an enlarger lens, but I did try it today in my negative copying setup, and it lost. Like all of the 50mm enlarger lenses I've tried in this job, which is done at about 1:2, it was grossly inferior to any of my three micro-Nikkors, all of which do an equally stellar job, in spite of being from three different periods (one early non-ai 55/3.5, one a late 55/3.5 ai, and the third a 60/2.8 af-d).

So far all of the enlarging lenses are grossly inadequate next to any of the micro-Nikkors. The thing that has surprised me the most is that in this application I can't tell the Nikkors apart. They're supposed to be among the best lenses Nikon has ever made, and they're demonstrating that. They all have higher contrast than the enlarging lens and all are obviously resolving more than my camera can use, right out to the corners. I only use the earliest lens in the copy rig because it's the lens for which I have the least affection--I use the ai and af-d in my studio on real stuff.

Now I'm starting to wonder how the micro-Nikkors would work as enlarging lenses! Maybe I can rig up one of my scrap Nikon bodies as an enlarger, Graflarger style: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/graflarger.html

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
They all have higher contrast than the enlarging lens

This is normal, enlarging lenses are supposed to be neutral, they need to not have a character and surely they must not be contrasty -
contrast is something that the printer (meant as the person who prints) has to decide with use of paper and filters only.
An enlarging lens should be as neutral as possible. Which is not bad for duplicating either. In fact, duplicating film is low contrast.
And especially in the digital age, the act of duplicating should be neutral, and contrast added at will in the editing software, afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
mdarnton wrote:
They all have higher contrast than the enlarging lens

This is normal, enlarging lenses are supposed to be neutral, they need to not have a character and surely they must not be contrasty -
contrast is something that the printer (meant as the person who prints) has to decide with use of paper and filters only.
An enlarging lens should be as neutral as possible. Which is not bad for duplicating either. In fact, duplicating film is low contrast.
And especially in the digital age, the act of duplicating should be neutral, and contrast added at will in the editing software, afterwards.

Are you sure about that? My 50mm 2.8 Rodagon is indeed more medium contrasted but as far as I know some enlarger lenses are gaining from contrast- and color degradation when used as taking lenses on digital cameras (I guess because they are designed for balancing contrast from not-so-contrasty negatives)

Bye the way is also tried a Rodagon 50/2.8 for digitalisation of slides and negatives and it was also clearly inferior to my Minolta MD Macro Rokkor 100/4 for this, so I do not wonder at that the great Nikkors are better than the 5.6 Rodagon, even at 1:2.
The 50mm Rodagons are simply not made for that. But as far as I know the 80mm and the 105mm Rodagon are good for duping.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "neutral" anyway? I don't think it's possible for a lens to actually increase the contrast of anything, since it's merely a transmission device, so I figure in any pair the one with less contrast has a transmission defect, and is not better. Neutral is what I see, and enlarging lenses give me less than that.

What I thought was interesting about the micro-Nikkors was that Bjorn Rorslett has definite opinions about them, and those opinions were NOT supported by my tests. I always find peoples' photo tests suspect, anyway; for instance when anyone posts 800x600 images to prove a lens is good, or pictures of flowers, proving the center is OK, but how about the edges? Peoples' tests are so non-test-like. But trying to image the grain of a flat negative from corner to corner--that's more like a real test.

In testing enlarging lenses for this, of the more interesting results was that my clean new version 50/2.8 El-Nikkor got pounded in every respect by an El-Omicron 50/2.8 with fungus around the edges (but otherwise clean). An ancient, not particularly clean-inside 50/4 Componon was meh. I guess they're just not up to 1:2, basically.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
What is "neutral" anyway? I don't think it's possible for a lens to actually increase the contrast of anything

Wut???? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several different 50/2.8 El-Nikkors bye the way. I also had one in very good condition and was a little disappointed when I compared it with my Rodagon which was a lot better espececially below 5.6. But otherwise I heard other people saying that the Nikkor is better or at least in par.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the last one with a lot of plastic is supposed to be the best one. I'm not thinking this is a lens problem as much as it's inappropriate usage.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
What is "neutral" anyway? I don't think it's possible for a lens to actually increase the contrast of anything, since it's merely a transmission device

Just compare the 10 lpm and 20 lpm curves of MTFs of different lenses, see if you can find two identical ones
every lens has it's own inherent contrast, that changes with aperture and from centre to edge; if it wasn't like that, all lenses would deliver the same contrast, and we could throw all expensive lenses in the bin together with the MTFs, because it would mean that all lenses (good and bad, cheap or expensive) would give identical looking results - because in normal viewing (i.e. not enlarged) it's the contrast (expressed by 10 and 20 lpm curves) and not the resolvance that makes a visible difference