Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais Eclipse
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ais Eclipse Reply with quote

Okay, this wasn't the best lens choice for eclipse photography (the Xinhua news photographer standing next to me had a Nikkor 400/2.8 ), but it was the best I had available. The photo and many others were taken at the Santa Monica Pier, just after maximum eclipse (partial) on May 20, 2012. It was about an hour before sunset, and the typical low clouds had just started rolling in.

The top image is the full photo, reduced for this forum.

The second image is a 100% crop. The moon was in focus, but I was a bit too close to the roller coaster for it to be in focus. Note: you can see a sunspot in the lower right corner of the sun.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think this was the best subject for detail peeping. It appears to show some light CA on the hand rails and the moon itself but there's lots of contrast too.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot. I certainly enjoy the setting.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail peeping, yeah, shows why it's not the best choice for eclipse work. Still, I was surprised to see sunspots in the image.
As for CA, yes. The Micro-Nikkor 200/4 AIS is kind of infamous for it, as are most internal focus telephotos.

Regardless, it's currently the best telephoto lens I have, even though I originally purchased it for long-relief macro photography.