Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev II, Jupiter-8, Fomapan 100, RO9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Kiev II, Jupiter-8, Fomapan 100, RO9 Reply with quote

I really love this camera, the J-8 is a very sharp lens and the Foma film is excellent:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb result, these are real cameras, though they need a 'real' photographer too to get the best out of them. Such as yourself of course Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Nesster, this is now my favourite camera and I've got another 17 rolls of Fomapan 100 to use with her, oh what fun I'm going to have! No better way of spending a few hours than exploring my local area armed with my Kiev II and Weston Master II.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive set of well spotted and composed shots. I like the look of that film and will have to look out for it when I am restocking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series! My favorite is last one! Stunning!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I am very impressed with this Jupiter-8, very sharp lens with great coatings. Many thanks to Attila for finding this wonderful camera/lens for me and Bill for helping me obtain the Foma, I love both instantly!

Skida, it's available here from Silverprint but not so cheap, I got mine from freestylephoto.biz in the US which is much cheaper. When you want to get some, let me know and we can do a group buy and share the postage costs, if 3 or 4 of us British bods chip in we can get some really cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbe results indeed. The spider web in the third to last photo speaks volumes.
Also good choice of subjects, very appropriate for the B&W mood.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Orio. I would love an old 1.5/50 Sonnar like the stunning ones you and Attila have, or even a 2/50 Sonnar, but I'm too poor and I think this J-8 is pretty damn good so it will serve me well. All 24 shots on this roll were focused perfectly, which is a massive comment on how good the Kiev/Contax broad base RF system is as I'm not the greatest at accurate focusing and have pretty bad eyesight.

I'm learning to think in BW now, playing around with C-41 in BW chems was useful to learn before I got my hands on some proper BW film, my one worry now is how I'm going to afford to buy enough film to keep my joy of shooting BW going! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Orio. I would love an old 1.5/50 Sonnar like the stunning ones you and Attila have, or even a 2/50 Sonnar, but I'm too poor and I think this J-8 is pretty damn good so it will serve me well.

I have both 2/50 Sonnars (normal and collapsible), and Jupiter-8,
and my Jupiter-8 is definitely sharper. Quite understandeably, because my copy was made in the 70s,
that is, 30-40 years after my Sonnars. So it was certainly optimized in the meantime.
The Sonnar has more of that "old time" look if that's what one is after, but in all fairness,
if I had to choose between those lenses for an important session, I would choose the Jupiter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Orio. I would love an old 1.5/50 Sonnar like the stunning ones you and Attila have, or even a 2/50 Sonnar, but I'm too poor and I think this J-8 is pretty damn good so it will serve me well.

I have both 2/50 Sonnars (normal and collapsible), and Jupiter-8,
and my Jupiter-8 is definitely sharper. Quite understandeably, because my copy was made in the 70s,
that is, 30-40 years after my Sonnars. So it was certainly optimized in the meantime.
The Sonnar has more of that "old time" look if that's what one is after, but in all fairness,
if I had to choose between those lenses for an important session, I would choose the Jupiter.

That's interesting, I never considered a later J-8, I have just acquired a 67 J-12 and a 70s J-11 for the Kiev so will be interesting to try those out too.

Attila showed me shots with several Sonnars and Jupiters and the differences are pretty small.

I need to acquire a J-9 next, then I'll have a great set for my Kiev.

Are there any Zeiss lenses for the Kiev/Contax you would recommend as 'must-haves'? I'll be using the Kiev a lot so saving my pennies for a particularly lens is something I'm happy to do.

I'd love something wider than the 2.8/38 Biogon/J12 but I doubt I'll find anything that won't be too expensive for me, I did see a 6/28 Tessar last week but it went for a pretty big sum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Are there any Zeiss lenses for the Kiev/Contax you would recommend as 'must-haves'? I'll be using the Kiev a lot so saving my pennies for a particularly lens is something I'm happy to do.

They are all good. Really. Consider that they are all good copies of great classic Zeiss lenses!
I am going to sell my Jupiter-11 soon (clone of Sonnar 4/135). It's mint condition it looks like new. I need to make cash, and I don't use the J-11,
way too long for a rangefinder use for me. The longest that I use on rangefinder is 50mm

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'd love something wider than the 2.8/38 Biogon/J12 but I doubt I'll find anything that won't be too expensive for me, I did see a 6/28 Tessar last week but it went for a pretty big sum.

Oh there's the Orion-15 (28mm symmetrical wide angle)
A fantastic lens, I have one, gift of Carsten. It's the clone of the aerial Zeiss Topogon, it's a military project which was developed in the early 30s by Zeiss
in the frame of a military air force collaboration, when Germany and Soviet Union were still heart to heart Laughing
It's slow (max. aperture is f/6, but you want to use it at f/8 for best performance), but it's a lens for hyperfocal use anyway, so using it at f/8 is just normal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I love Sonnar types so I was delighted to track down the J8 and J12, a J9 will come soon I hope.

I am not sure how easy it will be to find an Orion in Kiev/Contax, I don't think they made many, I do see M39 ones from time to time for 100-150ukp.

I haven't shot anything other than a 50mm on a RF cam yet, so I don't know how much I will like the longer types, I did find a nice Russian copy of the Zeiss multifinder to use with them so I'll find out for myself soon.

If I hadn't just bought a mint J11 I'd have taken yours, hope you sell it for a nice price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Oh yes, I love Sonnar types so I was delighted to track down the J8 and J12, a J9 will come soon I hope.

J-12 is Biogon-type

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was a typo, I should have written J11 Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 for me, but an all round good series.

I'm interested in how you developed this film, as I have used the same developer/film/lens combo, but my results were different. I do use a 1:50 concentration for 8-9 mins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 1, 3, 5, and 6, especially for subject matter. What ISO did you use and is this
1:100 stand? Very nice results, Ian!

Dunno if it is cheaper for Freestyle to send to me and relay to you. If they use FedEX for
international shipments, it might be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Skida, it's available here from Silverprint but not so cheap

I had a look on their website and it is certainly a lot cheaper than what I have been buying lately. It's less than half the price of BW400CN, HP5, etc. I might "risk" 2 and a half quid and try a roll. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Attila's reccomendation of 1:50 RO9 (Rodinal copy) at 24C for 7mins. I used my Weston Master II meter which is very accurate, exposed at 100.

I used Fomapan 100 profi-line classic, expired 11/2011, I got it cheap from freestyle, they are sold out of it now and just have in-date at 3.49USD a roll:

http://freestylephoto.biz/420124-Foma-Fomapan-100-iso-35mm-x-24-exp.?cat_id=402

When I need some more I will probably buy 30m bulk roll and load my own, I've kept all my empty canisters just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure those empty cassettes are clean. I bought several rolls of Arista 200 (Fomapan 200, I share in Jussi's infatuation with
this film) and every damn single one had lines running the entire length of the film from dirty cassettes.

Rodinal 1:100 stand for an hour works great with Fomapan 200, shot at box speed:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6709068227_aa7f286019_o.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, I'll remember that tip. Good results there and stand dev is very economical on the chems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Bill, I'll remember that tip. Good results there and stand dev is very economical on the chems.

compressed air is essential tool at every load, right